You can type here any text you want

Gas vs Gas/Ethanol

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MikeB91

Most of the gas stations now have up to 10% ethanol in the gas. There are some (very few) stations that have straight gas with no ethanol. My grand prix with the 3.8 gets better mileage with the straight gas, not really sure about performance.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the 90% gas 10% ethanol vs 100% gas (93 octane for both)in a TTA? Thanks.

I have been using 94 oct with 10% ethanol and it is the recommended gas from the performance shop that tuned my tta with a dyno. I have never ran into any issues, but that's just me.
Jarred.

EtOH in gasoline

I have been using 94 oct with 10% ethanol and it is the recommended gas from the performance shop that tuned my tta with a dyno. I have never ran into any issues, but that's just me.
Jarred.

Just a few facts about it - Ethanol (EtOH) has a much higher octane ~ 110-112 than gasoline, and the fact that it is oxygenated helps emissions some. However, it has less fuel value per gallon and is a little less dense, therefore the fuel mileage hit. If the blenders would maintain the octane of the gasoline that they mix it with, the overall octane would go up, but I doubt that they do that. Blenders aren't known for "giving away" octane. However, if U add or inject your own alcohol - be it MeOH, EtOH, or iPOH - U would get the octane increase.

From what I understand, the 90/10 is a summer mix. Every pump I've seen (in texas) says "May contain 10% Ethanol" which means who the hell knows what you're putting in your tank. :mad:

I'm so pissed about the Ethanol craze that Bush started a few years ago. It makes an already inefficient gasoline engine LESS Efficient. And for the people who think it's lowering our need for foreign oil: Ethanol can not be pipelined!!! Therefore, every gallon has to be hauled by a Diesel Truck or Train that uses foreign oil. And worst of all, it's not CLEAN.

I'm no Liberal, but I wish Bush would have pushed for more Natural Gas virtually zero emission consumer cars (I'm sitting over 100 years worth of Natural Gas from the North Texas Barnett Shale) and Hydrogen Cell Research instead of screwing us with Ethanol.

E85 was the worst energy plan in the 200 years of the industrial revolution.

Back