You can type here any text you want

gearbox to rack n pinion?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
how would this improve steering? is it expensive? how long does it take?

thanks,
joshua

Hey Illegal, You get yours back on the road yet? Still waiting to hear drivability feedback from anybody that's installed this kit.

Not till spring, but a few on maliburacing have other style racks setups they've been using for some time now. I haven't heard anybody complain, only positive remarks although I don't think they street drive the cars.

My guess is it's gotta be smoother and more responsive.

That's what I'm hoping, but I keep reading about "ackerman angle" or something like that which I don't know about.

Scott Atk said:
That's what I'm hoping, but I keep reading about "ackerman angle" or something like that which I don't know about.

Ackerman refers to the angle of the front wheels as they relate to the imaginary arc on the ground the car is travelling.
With a recpiprocating ball setup like the stock one, both front wheels turn at the same angle as you turn the steering wheel.

However, since the inside front wheel is turning in a smaller circle than the outside wheel, it ideally should be turned at a slightly different (tighter) angle than the outside so it can follow the turn without the front tires scrubbing.

Big explanation here: http://www.muller.net/mullermachine/docs/ackerman.html

With a rack and pinion, you can somewhat adjust the different sides independantly to get the Ackerman you want. With reciprocating ball, your only adjustment is toe.

Ackerman has a profound effect on how well the car turns in.

turbofish38 said:
looks good fish but a pain in the butt, those knuckles look tight, and a pain to modify, may have to stay w/ the steering box, I just wanted to have that new era feel to the car, but that looks to be track driven only, what about an every day joy ride, any complaints or know of any that were negative for every day driving...

I was hoping to get some feedback from Dusty, but unfortunately he wrecked first time out with the rack/pinion. So we may not get any real world feedback until spring.

hope not becuz of the rack, well thanks and keep me posted i'd like to know how it goes w/ the everyday driving, well summer driving my car dont see bad weather unless im caught in it, im sure that goes for everyone else...
Scott Atk said:
I was hoping to get some feedback from Dusty, but unfortunately he wrecked first time out with the rack/pinion. So we may not get any real world feedback until spring.

Back