You can type here any text you want

Gen II power steering ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RobG

Any one adapt one of these newer p/s pumps on a turbo Buick ???

I was just curious if these pumps were compatible with the Buick's steering box as far as pressure goes. I just like the tidyness of it with the integrated
reservoir.

Anyone :confused:

Hmm good idea, and that sounds like a great question for Unisteer, since they say they put them "on our state-of-the-art test stand" :)

TurboTR

I've sent them an e-mail. I want to see if they have one compatible with a stock steering box. :confused:

That is our 86-87 IC engined PS pump. With the FWD reservior. There is a reason we have remote PS reserviors on our cars. There aint room for the pump mounted jobs. I think all you need to do is change the flow control valve and you're set. Most if not all FWD cars use rack and pinion. BTW you can find millions of those pumps in the boneyards. Used on everything from Cavaliers to Cadillacs.

Edit. You could always buy a reservior straight from GM and add it to your stock pump. You just need to buy the adapter to replace the hose nipple on the pump. You might look at the oreintation of the stock pump to make sure that nipple is pointing in the right direction. You could possibly mount that tank sideways by mistake.

That is our 86-87 IC engined PS pump. With the FWD reservior. There is a reason we have remote PS reserviors on our cars. There aint room for the pump mounted jobs. I think all you need to do is change the flow control valve and you're set. Most if not all FWD cars use rack and pinion. BTW you can find millions of those pumps in the boneyards. Used on everything from Cavaliers to Cadillacs.

Edit. You could always buy a reservior straight from GM and add it to your stock pump. You just need to buy the adapter to replace the hose nipple on the pump. You might look at the oreintation of the stock pump to make sure that nipple is pointing in the right direction. You could possibly mount that tank sideways by mistake.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to make custom brackets to install the thing since my car will not have A/C. I'm going for the function and fashion thing with the engine by making the accessories more compact. the integrated reservoir is what makes it nice. Less clutter.

My concerns were the valving and pulley size as well for that matter. If the stock one will work with that reservoir that would be sweet, I'm sure my 20 year old pump could use a freshening regardless.

Thnaks !!!

Back