You can type here any text you want

getting cargo trailer...have some questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
A friend of a friend is selling a 4x6 cargo trailer. Fully insulated and enclosed. He used it to haul deer during hunting season.

Said the tires were replaced this spring.

I have not actually seen the trailer but he says it is in excellent condition and I am only paying 75 bucks for it so I'll take a chance.

Here is my question: Is the load limit of a trailer based strictly on the tires or is there more to it than that? I assume leaf springs have some part to play as well as frame construction.

I was at tractor supply yesterday and I saw some trailer tires that said "Max load 535 lbs". So if I put tires that say 1000lbs on the trailer can I haul that much?

Any info on what gives a trailer its rating and any other thoughts you might have for me will be appreciated.

I think it's the axles that limit the load, along with the matching tires. Might have to see what axles it has, or model # & call a trailer place & see what it is. The tires are worth the $75, probably can't go wrong there. Might be able to trade up if it's not enough for you.

Hi Paul. I get the trailer tomorrow so hopefully it is a brand name and not something he built himself. If it is brand name, I hope there is a tag that tells me the cargo limits and such.

Back