Getting stumped on stumble, missfire?

common for the wire to be broke internally by the black little block
I had mine doing a very similar thing and the wire had broke internally and looked fine on the outside but the strands inside were all broken right next to the block.

That black block is a fusible link. After you find the ECM orange wire check for soft or spongy insulation, that could indicate that the fusible link is about shot.

That is if you can even find it, if it's not there than the previous owner may have replaced it and connected it to another circuit besides the battery.

If it hasn't been tampered with it should be readily visible coming off the positive cable, unless the positive cable has been changed with an aftermarket one.

Like said above look for it under the overflow bottle, mine has a factory weather pack quick disconnect right near the battery [within 6"] positive connection and goes under the overflow bottle.

Yes ill tune it to say 137 BLM turn the key off as directed, and it when I back into that tune file it remains 128 BLM. So its like its not saving.

You have to drive it after changing parameters so the computer will relearn.
I don't know if you knew that as you didn't mention whether you drove it after a relearn.

[/quote] You have to drive it after changing parameters so the computer will relearn.[/quote]
Nope eric didnt disclose that in the instructions lol well, so after you drive it for awhile it should save the BLM as whatever I programed it too.

Im guessing i could trace the orange wire from the ecm? So it should be the only solid orange one right?

True about having to drive it after making a change so it can 're-learn' but not true about the parameter. If you follow the procedure (and it sounds like you did), that BLM value should remain - 137 in your example - until you either change it back via the same procedure, disconnect the ECM wire (when you find it.:D), or disconnect the battery. Hope that helps.

The "orange wire" at the ecm is on pin C16 which is at the end of the larger (32 pin) connector but I'm not sure how you can easily trace it back to the battery. If the previous owner changed the positive battery cable with a generic one, the orange wire may be missing or maybe its there and just not orange in color. Is there no smaller wire attached to the positive battery post?

Oh, and for Mike ... (just a technicality) the frequency of the MAF signal to the ecm is lowest at idle (around 40 Hz) and the highest during wot. The range is 34 - 150 Hz. MAF drop-out occurs if the frequency goes above 150 Hz. Fortunately, the current chips (TT & Ext) "lock" the MAF during wot so drop-out should be ignored.

dr_frankenstein said:
bet ya 20 bucks its them E3 plugs.

shit can those and i bet it will clean up. thems plugs snuff under good boost.

Interesting, I've run them with no issues. 30 psi on a 6776.

New
True about having to drive it after making a change so it can 're-learn' but not true about the parameter.​

You're right I should have said if you disconnect the battery or power down the ECM, that you need to drive it in order for the ECM to relearn.​

dennisL said:
Oh, and for Mike ... (just a technicality) the frequency of the MAF signal to the ecm is lowest at idle (around 40 Hz) and the highest during wot. The range is 34 - 150 Hz. MAF drop-out occurs if the frequency goes above 150 Hz. Fortunately, the current chips (TT & Ext) "lock" the MAF during wot so drop-out should be ignored.

Thanks for the corrections. I couldn't remember if MAF frequency went up or down with air flow, wasn't home where I could check. I guessed wrong.

I am sure that somebody told me that when the MAF frequency gets too high, it would overflow something hardware related in the ECU. Therefore, it was not possible to fix it with code in the chip. Granted, I had this conversation ten years ago, so maybe the knowledge has changed, or my memory is foggy.

Thanks,

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

Slooooooowwwwwww down....

My head started spinning with all the part swapping.

First thing first.
As everyone has said - find that ECM connector.
That is a notoriously sensitive part that is prone to loosing connection.
I know very well.

It also is a two-parter connector.
Fusible link really.
But not only is there the main plug connector to that orange ECM wire, but there is a little hinged part of the connector that lets water in and can really cause problems.

Slow down and start tracing that orange wire from the ECM back if you have to.
It peentrates the firewall, but is buried under the heater blower box.
That's a hard place to get a clear look at.
But there are a variety of ways to look at it.
If you hunt around, I'm sure you'll find it.

Now, if it is not connected to the battery and some other lame-brain place or spliced - fix it!
Buy the stock positive battery cable from one of the TR vendors, Caspers, etc that comes with the correct dongle, buy the pigtail and put it back together as it should be.
Please stop disconnnecting the ECM / computer with power applied to the pins.
That's what the Orange wire is for.
Battery positive cable if you must.

It may very well turn out to be something completely different - but the ECM wire is a notorious culprit for this sort of thing.

^^^this is what im thinking, makes the most sense. Im going to find this wire. The previous owner changed out the battery and cables, its now a top mount battery. I stay busy at work so i wont have a chance til Sunday morning

So if i find this wire how should i re-wire it? To the battery, add a fuse?

You've already been told what to do.

Now, if it is not connected to the battery and some other lame-brain place or spliced - fix it!
Buy the stock positive battery cable from one of the TR vendors, Caspers, etc that comes with the correct dongle, buy the pigtail and put it back together as it should be.
Please stop disconnnecting the ECM / computer with power applied to the pins.
That's what the Orange wire is for.
Battery positive cable if you must.

The ECM losing its memory, and the cutting out, may be related. If the SES light comes on when it cuts out, it sounds like the ECM is being reset/losing voltage.
I agree on tracking down the orange wire issue. Also check all grounds.
Eric

87 battery.jpg

Here is a pic of what it should look like if that helps you.