You can type here any text you want

Girdle install Q

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pablo

Is it acceptable to shim one side of the main cap higher (shim between the top of cap and girdle) than the other side to achieve the necessary clearance on the rails?

Is it acceptable to shim one side of the main cap higher (shim between the top of cap and girdle) than the other side to achieve the necessary clearance on the rails?

what sort of difference are you talking about? Is it the same front to back? if not you may end up twisting the girdle or binding the crank. If it is way out fixing the rails may be the way to go
ML

And if you shim one side you will loose support on the center of the cap. This could cause the cap. Plus the line bore should have been done with the cap fully loaded, so I would be worried that the bore would not be round without the same load.

Pan rails have been milled already. I am trying to figure out where the problem is but one side of the girdle I have .010 clearance and the other side I have none in some spots and maybe .001 in others.

Seems like there are a lot of factors involved here and I wonder how far off say .001 in cap height side to side can affect the height further out by the pan rail. Measuring all this crap is like splitting hairs.

1.) Put a quality flat edge across the girdle.

2.) Then put the flat edge across each installed cap from rail side to rail side. Measure the gap across the cap.

K.

it's a cat girdle, my machinist said he checked it to be flat (excluding one spot that is not relevant to my problem) on a granite plate though I will be rechecking his work. The difference changes slightly front to back. IIRC the front has a little more clearance on the tight side than the back.

ncturbos, that was one of the things I was planning on doing. I need to get a quality straight edge though.

Back