Gluing upper dash trim panel

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
My upper dash trim panel is broken on both sides (so whose isn't?) and I would think that there would be a modern adhesive that could fix it. There are no missing pieces on mine, just cracks where it comes apart. Has anybody had any luck with a glue that will hold? I have tried cyanoacrylic (superglue), epoxy, and plastic cement, with no luck.

Emblem Epoxy

I used emblem epoxy on a panel a while back and it has held up great. Start by taping the peices togeather and put the adhesive on from the underside. Use a blow drier to speed up the set time. Let sit for about 24 hours. It would the be good to repaint the top portion of the dash panel to fill and cover the seams nicely.

Emblem Epoxy?

I am not familiar with it. Would I find it at an auto parts store? I take it that it's purpose is to hold on body emblems??

Yes Emblem adhesive.

Yes it is emblem adhesive. It worked great for me and made a strong bond. Maybe one day I will buy a new dash panel but $100.00 for a piece of plastic is outrageous. Also you can look in a local junkyard at 4 door regals. They had the same dash. Most of those cars were driven by little old ladies who kept them in a garage out of the sun. I have bought a few from our local junkyard out of those cars and they were not cracked at all. One thing that is interesting is that gm used some sort of heat shield under some of those dash panels that kept them from cracking and some they did not.