GM 3.8L engine block aluminum paperweight

aukc

Hi, I am not buying or selling at this time, but I have recently obtained this and thought this might be the best place to post to try to get some more info, if there's a better forum for a topic like this, please let me know, thanks

I've obtained a rather unusual item, hope the folks here can help me determine if it is anything interesting, it is an aluminum paperweight that I think is a GM 3.8L V6 engine block, please have a look at the photos I've attached and let me know what you think.

paperweight1.jpg

paperweight2.jpg

paperweight3.jpg

paperweight4.jpg

paperweight5.jpg

paperweight6.jpg

paperweight7.jpg

paperweight8.jpg

paperweight9.jpg

That's a Buick 3.8L model block. Very cool and I've never seen one before. From the look of the bell it's got a FWD bellhousing mount rather than a RWD bell though. My guess is it's a copy of a stage II block. Have you found any more of them?

so far, all that I know about it is that it was found in a thrift store in Waterloo, IA

Looks like a 3800 series II block because of the extra balance shaft hole above the cam tunnel. That would explain the odd trans pattern also. Neat piece. I would love to find a small scale casting like that to machine.

not sure I follow, do you mean there's a noticable difference in the design of the balance shaft between the series I block and the series II block? My understanding is the balance shaft was added in 1988 while it was still designated as the series I.

I don't know much about 3800 motors. I guess it could be either, but it's definietly not like the 3.8's that come in our turbo regals.

no problem, I think that 1987 was the last year before the balance-shaft version of the 3.8L was introduced. Something that's odd about this "model" is that it has the holes in the block for the balance shaft, but it has 3.8L cast in the side. My understanding is the engine was formally re-named to the 3800 with the introduction of the balance shaft.