GM techs, '04 Silverado question

TRBON8R

Today I took my 15k mile 1500 Silverado to the dealer for a trans service and an oil change. I was floored when the service manager quoted me $141 for a trans service. I figured it would be more like 70 or 80 bucks. When I told him $141 sounded high, he said they do a total flush rather than just a drain and refill. I told him I only wanted a drain and refill. To make matters worse he said that the rearend should be serviced as well at a cost of $150!!! I told him just to change the oil and I would think about the other services he proposed. As soon as I told him this his attitude cooled noticeably. After he made a quick phone call I was told that the oil change rack is "booked up" and that I should come back later. :rolleyes: I think he was just pissed that I wouldn't let him rape me for over $300 for a change of fluids. I got in the truck and drove off without them so much as touching it. This truck is a work truck and sees a ton of starts and stops and short trips so I want to take care of the fluids. So the question is:

1) Is the full on trans flush where the truck is hooked up to a machine worth the money versus just a drain and refill?

2) Isn't 15k miles way too early for a rear end service?

3) Should I change out the Dexcool extended life coolant? Is GM still having problems with this coolant?

15,000 miles is way to early for any kind of flush, probably wont need any flushes till 30,000 at the earliest

Our 15k on Fords is,

1) LOF
2) TIRE ROTATION
3) TRANS DRAIN AND REFILL
4) AIR FILTER
5) FUEL FILTER

No flush is needed until 30k. It stinks he got a attitude with you,It gives dealers a bad name:( Some us are not like that. I can say we use the BG Flush machines and they really work and do a great job.:cool:

Read your owners manual, and do what's recommended. An independent shop can do the work, you don't have to use the dealer. Not to mention it doesn't sound like he'll being doing any warranty work for you.

Sounds, like you need to find another dealer, or shop to work on your truck. BTW, document everything, in case you do ever need to have a warranty repair.

And dealers wonder why they're losing customers.......

I work at a chevy dealer Rear end service and trans flush would usually be done at 30k, that also sounds expensive those are usually include in a 30k service that includes
Oil change
Tire rotation and balance
Trans flush
Alignment check
Service rear end, transfer case, front diff
and filter service for $550

I'll apologize in advance for this but............

a trans. fluid change / diff. service at 30 k is a money grab.

Not necc. just yet.

p.s. Sorry to all the techs on flat rate. J.M.O.

Several dealerships here use the machine flush every 30k, personally I have done done just a fluid and filter change every 12-15k and never lost a transmission in any vehicle. The rear end change is so high because that rear uses synthetic lube at about $28.00 a quart.

At about 100K on my 1994 chevy K-Blazer, there was a suspicion of coolant in the oil (intake manifold gasket). Dealer recommended an engine oil flush, I was dubious but went along with it (extra $80-ish charge).

Afterwards, I've never seen my oil so clean!! Whether it improved the engine longevity I can't say, but I always liked the super clean oil, it was like brand new.

So-- on a low mileage car like yours I cannot see the point. But on higher mileage vehicles, I like the "idea" of flushed out fluids, even though it's not required by the Mfr. I can't see doing it any more frequently than 80K-100K, though, unless some accident was suspected (eg coolant in the tranny fluid)