GN At Barret sold for $31,900 please read

in leiu of sounding stupid what is bid shilling. i also noticed that the sold price on the website had the 10% commision added to it. dave

Yeah its crazy, that was easily a $35k car, esp. at Barrett-Jackson. It was near perfect. I sold my 1983 Monte Carlo there, granted it wasn't a GN, but it too sold pretty low considering that I got $9500 on Ebay, just couldn't deal with not getting paid 3 times through and really needed it sold as my house was damaged by the recent storms here and my insurance only covered half the damage.

Ironically the WE4, which was not as nice, sold for $37400 after commission.

Barrett-Jackson - The World's Greatest Collector Car Events

I think whoever bought it was duped into thinking that it was something special with more horsepower than the GN, as advertised by the consignor.

You'd think people would do their homework at the Barrett-Jackson, but no one there seems to know anything about 80's cars, I felt like the expert there and had to educate a few. I guess all the more reason to race 'em as no one seems to take any 80's car seriously except for the GNX. As is evident by the recent trends, original low milage cars are not worth much more than modified cars in the same condition.

There were a few decent cars made in the 80's despite the majority of the cars from that era being poor. The same was true in the 60's and 70's. My Monte sold for $9500, and its the nicest original 1981-1988 sport coupe (non-ss) in the nation, and I honestly doubt it will bring much more in 10 years if its still around. The 80's is the forgotten decade in the collector car market.

And a rarer still, the WH1 sold for only $20k.. The low prices of the GN and WH1 worries me as to the future collectibility of our cars, but as they say, only time will tell.,

That was my car. Detailed by me :D

I owned it for 23500.00, so I didn't loose at all. Made a few bucks. I did not buy that car with the intensions of selling it so soon. I made out very well last year at B-J with my 13k mile 87 GN that I owned for 15k and sold for 27k. I wanted a change in the collection, so off it went. I thought it would do better, but it's all in the books now.

The market on collector cars definitely seems to be a bit off right now. We have seen it before and at some point it will come back again.

I met you at BJ, too bad it didn't sell for more, but at least you didn't lose. How do I find out who bought my car? I couldn't tell with everything going on.

A general comment on the appearance of level of detailing of B-J cars: Every car at B-J isn't necessarily that nice. The key is bright lights, real BRIGHT lights. Makes even a dull paint job sparkle. In fact, half the cars (or more) that were on TV were sitting in the rain minutes before going on stage in both venues. I would be stroking out if it were my car.

Still offering $15K for a GN with under 20K. Someone should jump on this quick before I change my mind:biggrin:

I took an 87 GN as a trade for an Envoy 2 years ago. I put it in our showroom and advertised it locally for $15995 w/ 16,000 origional miles. Sat for June, July, Sold in August to a guy in Iraq serving our country. I couldn't beleive it took almost 3 months. I should have put it on one of these message boards or ebay. The car wasn't perfect but origional paint wasn't bad and no miles. Thought it would go faster than that.

Being there personally I have to say that the car was very nice and totally unmolested. Not only that, it was very well preserved and totally drivable.

I guess its just nice to see a car like this as most GN's and TR's on the market are raced modified and eventually beat into the ground. It was nice to see an original low milage GN, and an astroroof car to boot.

Its alarming that the GN in Scottsdale sold for more and wasn't near the originality or low miles of this car.

Again, I am totally confused, to me this was a $35k GN especially at Barrett-Jackson. It makes me cringe at the thought of what a Turbo-T or T-Type like this might bring. These cars might be the best band for the buck out there. (actually I still think just about any G-body is still the best car out there for the money) . Typically a comparable Turbo-T or T-Type has brought about 30-40% less despite them being even rarer than the GN.

And the WH1 being the rarest and about the neatest of them all is still bringing 30% less than the GN's. Thats where the real value is for us TR lovers.. In anything but a GN or GNX.

I still have my hands in the air as to why the WE4 sold for more, anyone have any idea why? Is there some truth to it being more powerful than any other TR except the GNX.. thats what the consignor advertised. I didn't get an opportunity to meet this person to find out more.

I took an 87 GN as a trade for an Envoy 2 years ago. I put it in our showroom and advertised it locally for $15995 w/ 16,000 origional miles. Sat for June, July, Sold in August to a guy in Iraq serving our country. I couldn't beleive it took almost 3 months. I should have put it on one of these message boards or ebay. The car wasn't perfect but origional paint wasn't bad and no miles. Thought it would go faster than that.

How are the Pasties up there in 'ol Ish? Seems they're worth more than a GN these days :(. You'd think these cars being over 20 years old would start to appreciate, I'd hate to see a GN like this sell for less than sticker 20 years from now..

How are the Pasties up there in 'ol Ish? Seems they're worth more than a GN these days :(.

The GN market up here is really going to drop if we have 11 months of winter. Supposed to have another 8" today.:confused: More than 4' in the past 2 weeks. Seems like it will never stop. This is APRIL but feels like January.:frown:

87 Gn @ Bj

The thing that I didn't like was the body side moldings were drilled on
Besides that well worth the money

87 Gn @ Bj

And about the consignee (Any Consignee) You write up what you want BJ to state when the car is on the block You can say it was the 1st WE4 every to be built etc.

And about the consignee (Any Consignee) You write up what you want BJ to state when the car is on the block You can say it was the 1st WE4 every to be built etc.

So there is no truth to it being a more powerful GN?

No it is the same drive train obviously

The WE4 was a car sold to people who could not get their hands on a GN at the time because the GN was sold out at most dealers so you could then order a WE4 with the same outside appearance of the GN minus the wheels (blacked out T) for a less price and get the car faster.....the car was lighter and so were all the T'S .....in my opinion I have seen many WE4'S and I sat in the one that sold at Barrett .... I would rather for the money a GN.... the WE4 is too plain ... interior wise and has a (no badge) exterior ....granted all these cars are rare in numbers today... for a car to sell for $37k like that one only the owner made a good deal ...

WOW.... Not sure what planet it was hard to find a GN on in 1987 but it wasn't the Planet earth. Most dealers had several GN's to choose from & the 20,000+ built in 1987 proves that. When my buddies & i purchased our cars in 1987 they got there GN's easily & i had to search hard to find my white T. The same goes for today, nice GN's can be found anyday in almost any publication.... try finding equal grade T's that easily.

But why are the WE4's more valuable than a GN when a more limited production car, the WH1, is less valuable? I don't understand that.

You can't judge the market by the BJ auction. The WE4 brought good money because of the slot it was given. More money people in the house than when the others cars rolled across & BJ did a poor job representing & advertising the other Turbo cars. 3 buyers got very nice cars at good prices, 1 buyer paid full boat.

Thats true, but a lot of people judge the value of their cars based on what Barrett-Jackson people are willing to pay (people who are willing to pay top dollar), even on Thursday and Friday. A car that brings $40k at BJ should be expected to bring 15-20% less anywhere else. And the potential for a bidding war and a car selling for 50% more than what its really worth is what makes BJ worth the risk and keeps people finding cars and coming back. Thats what the consignors are paying for, and why many are happy paying BJ 8% commission as they will usually get it back as BJ brings people with money all together to one location.

The car should speak for itself and buyers at a place like that should be educated enough to know what they are worth at any time regardless of the position in the order. The cars are ALL well advertised, and someone with enough money to buy a $40k WE4 should have been smart enough to pay $10k less for a GN. As we all know, rarity is not something people pay for with our TR's, they all want GNX's, and if not a GN will suffice. Never did I expect a Turbo-T to sell more than a GN. The comment earlier about WE4's sold because there were no GN's available and that they are indeed a faster factory car is ridiculous, all Turbo-T's were faster as they weighed a bit less.

From what your saying my car could have easily sold for $20k on Saturday just because more people with more money were there?? A Monte in-between 2 Corvettes is still a Monte and I doubt anyone would have been willing to pay more. But there is no real way to know for sure. On Thursday a Trans AM and a Camaro sold for about 20% higher than what I expected them to and I doubt they would have sold for more on Saturday as there were more people there on Thursday than any other day. A bunch of snipers, yes, but a few really serious bidders,

Barrett-Jackson does a decent job keeping comparably priced cars in reasonable order to get the MOST money out of not only the higher priced cars, but the modest ones as well. Afterall, they want to make the most money possible.

My feelings are that if you need to get the maximum out of your car cut it up & part it out. They are worth far more in parts than a whole. On the other hand if you are looking for a safe investment that you can enjoy you can't go wrong with a nice Turbo Regal. They are certainly not going to get any cheaper.

Everyone thinks BJ is the pace setter for all cars. Absolutely not true. The cars fait depends on the buyers and time slots. More importantly, the time slot. You can also grease the guys on the floor for more time.

I know a few people that have taken their corvettes and got little of nothing for them. Hammer dropped before they got out of car.