GN color

Rocketman442

Am I crazy or do GNs have a slight metal flake in the paint? I remember this on one my dad had years ago and I swear that I can see it in mine in the right light. I've asked a couple of painters and they replied that the GNs are just plain black. Can anyone offer some insight?

No you are not crazy, there is a slight flake in it. Also if you have original paint, you will notice the doors are usually have more than the body.

Some GN's do have metal flake in the paint ,yes from the factory, I have seen some GN's with metal flake paint on the rear and not on the front !!!!Remeber the GM plant was closing and quality control may have been lacking .I am sure they used whatever black paint was left over .
Mark

qwknuf6 jr said...

...and quality control may have been lacking...

My understanding from some of the workers is that there was no "may have been" about it on the g-body line, but the TRs got the fine tooth comb treatment mechanically. :D

Donno about the paint though.

I'll just say it this way in theory it was plain black, however some did look "blacker" than others. Quality control with GM was a joke in the 80's for all the divisions, so I wouldn't be suprised at anything.

Metal Flake

I concure there may have been a problem with quality assurance at the plants in the 80's. I just had my car detailed again and for the first time since I've owned this car, noticed metal flake in the paint on my drivers side door....:eek: Why didn't I notice this before! :confused: ;)