You can type here any text you want

GN guys really stick together

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
someone needs to tell that guy that for 34k, i could have a 9 sec TR...

-jeff

is it just me or are thoes SVT guys seeing alot of GNX's. thats all they say is I "saw a GNX". Ive been all over this wonderfull country of ours and onve only seen 2 or 3 true GNX's on the road. mostly GN's and T-types. Also do people really modify GNX's???

artrenee10. someone should post a like to the vipervsGN video on that site ;) . I would but i don't have an URL:(

Ya Gotta Understand tho

wistle, MOST guys, with the exception of us of course:) wouldn't be able to tell a Turbo Regal Limited from a GN from a Turbo T WE4. So a Mustang guy swearing up and down he saw/raced a GNX doesn't really surprise me that much. As far as modding a GNX I don't believe TOO many people do but I wouldn't be surprised if someone did.:(
Steve Chambers

That my freind is why i beleive you shouldnt race a stock GN. Keep the fear alive :D .

someone needs to tell that guy that for 34k, i could have a 9 sec TR...

Could you have a "0" mile GN with a factory warranty that has excellent handeling and good brakes with leather interior, IRS, and a nice stereo? :D

Coupla key points to make known here

Could you have a "0" mile GN with a factory warranty that has excellent handeling and good brakes with leather interior, IRS, and a nice stereo?

1) Factory Warranty from Ford????You add a KN or exhaust, get the tick on one of the cylinder heads and guess what? Ford voids the warranty......

2) Excellent Handling?? I got a few terms-most notably Bilsteins-ATR rear sway bar-PST front rebuild-and a good set of coil springs. And guess what we aren't even halfway to 34k by now.

3) Good Brakes??-Vacuum Brake Conversion Kit-120 bucks-One Saturday Afternoon

4) Leather Interior? Burns my azz in the summer:rolleyes:

5) IRS-Two words EATON POSI-

6) Nice Stereo? Kenwood in the dash, speakers around-subbie in the trunk need I say more??

I think our point is that even with the things mentioned above I have probably spent maybe 1500 bucks-Most turbo regals are going for 11000 for a good condition one w/about 40-50000 miles to upwards of 20k. But even then I still haven't spent even close to 34k yet.

Don't get me wrong, the cobras are awesome, I tried one on a few months ago, and it just wasn't me. Lots of factory power to boot, not bad looking either, but worth 34k????HMMMM, nah don't think so. Give me a GNX ne day for that type of bread, or even a turbo regal to modify from the ground up and oh yeah, gettin too excited now.
Just my $02.
Steve Chambers

BTW you spelled handling wrong.....

My point being that you cannot compare a 1987 GM mid sized family car to a 2003 sports car. If the GN were built today it would cost more than $34k. Since you are comparing Fords limited production Mustang, why not compare it to the GNX, oh and start at $30k 1987 dollars.

A low low mile GN cost around $25k

Your assuming that the Ford is now modified, and that the dealer would void the warrany. I had a Lightning with a chip (which according to Ford voids the warranty because it is a limited production performance vehicle and does not have to follow regular warranty laws) that the dealer looked the other way on, and if he didn't, I could have removed it.

Brakes, try adding a Baer front and rear kit $3k

The leather interior...Try finding a nice car today w/out it, most want it.

IRS, most want it, if you've owned a car w/ it you will know (check my sig. oh and the stock Cobra IRS has been in the 9's on many cars with KB charger.

Now add depreciation for everything you did to a low low mile GN, and add in labor costs. Add in that the cobra basically comes with a forged internal Stage 2 like motor with more cubic inches, so add forged intertnals to your list.

I can buy a Yugo and do everything you listed for half the price of a GN. Doesn't mean a Yugo is better.

BTW...you spelled "getting" wrong

is that what a cobra costs?? 34K!!! sounds like a little much to me. ya so its fast. Its still a ford! I could put wings on my 84 and fly for that much cheddar:D . For that much buy an old 5.slow and mod the hell out it or somthin! STATUS SYMBOL. who can honestly afford a 34K sports car? Not me! And you know the only drive it like twice a month when its not rainin. poop on that! gimme GM anyday. long live the G-Body!!

GOOD LOGIC SCOTT BUT

Why can't I compare the two?
Don't get me wrong I know the buick is "a mid sized family car":confused: and the cobra is considered a sports car but are we on the topic of performance or consumer reports categorical considerations? Also, your comparison of a GNX to a cobra is not really valid. Ford has built what approximately 10000 cobras to date (that being the supercharged engine) and Buick in 1987 built 547 GNX's? Im sorry I don't see the comparison between a car that has 547 models in existence (maybe) ran identical times to the cobra, and was and yes, you were correct in this sense, 30k. My point is that if I am going to spend 30k for a "sports car" today I would prefer it to have sincere "limited edition" such as the GNX. The cobra limited edition really isn't:rolleyes: Not to mention that for a model year 2003, the advancements in technology that car should run like a dream with minimal problems (notice not saying NO problems just minimal.

A Ford dealership looking the other way on modifications made to any car currently under warranty is rare indeed. I'm pretty sure there are some, but consider the stories of more than one Cobra owner who has taken their car flogged it a few times, had the clunk, the tick, the vibe or whatever other vibrations echoed throughout the car pulled into the dealership and suddenly had his warranty claim voided due to Mods? Quite a few stories there.

Baer Brakes? 3K? HMMM, I thought we are on the topic of cost effectiveness here? A worthy expenditure I am sure but not three thousand reasons worthy.

Leather Interior?- Was meant to be a joke. I am sure most want it, my big ass doesn't. Personal preference here.

IRS? Sure it is great, never said it wasn't, but once again
EATON POSI.

Depreciation? Only if you threw out your stock parts. Which if you have a low low mile GN:D you wouldn't do anything b/c as you said it depreciates the car, and that it does.

Labor?-Thats what this board and its inhabitants are for, to keep those "labor" costs down

Yugo? Don't think Ill spend that much time on this one:D No comparison here.

My point being is that regardless which way you choose to spend the bottle its always going to be on the cheaper end for the GN.

The cobra is like I stated before an awesome car, not 34k awesome for me but awesome nonetheless.

On my side the GN will win hands down, and my cost comparison is this you take a 12000 GN (price is estimate) mod the hell out of it, I mean leaving very little if anything out and I'm still at about 22k (and thats on the high side) which is still about 10k less than a Cobra today.

And guess what, with those modifications, Ill bet you Ill still give you a good run for your money...... all 34k of it.........;)
Just my 02
Once again
Steve Chambers

I hate to do this but damn
Use you are not your
Your is a personal pronoun you want to use a contraction
J/K:D

I see where personal preference comes in, but to say a Cobra is not worth the money and then try to comapre it to a 16 yr old car IMHO doesn't really jive. There are other reasons like trying to get a loan on a 16 yr old car, and then trying to get the same interest rate you could get on a new car, the dependability factor, (you can drive a new Cobra 50k miles before something breaks, you cannot drive a GN w/out something going wrong in a 16 yr old car).

If you guys are saying the Cobra isn't worth the money, consider its competition. Keep in mind that a Cobra is a loaded version of a mustang.

02 WS6 or SS....$33k (my WS6 stickered at $32,200 w/out a couple of options)
350 Z......$32k
NEW WRX coming out... $31k
hell, turbo neon...$28k
new GTO....$34k!!!!!!!!!
EVO........$30k

and none of these cars need labor..These come from the factory running their times.

GNX's were a production car, whether they made 10k or 547. The option still cost alot to build on top of a mid 18k GN price tag, and in todays dollars would equate to the price of a loaded Corvette. (they were around the same price in 87).

You can't argue personal preferences, but you can argue cost effectiveness, inflation, etc, and to have a new loaded mustang with first class braking handling, and acceleration, not to mention having a supercharger sitting on top of what is essentially a V8 stage motor for $34k sticker and say its not a good deal, I would say ask any 02 LS1 owner if they would have paid $2k more for forged internals, and a factory supercharger on their motors and I'll bet 99% of them would jump on it.

Corrected my handling again.:D

Where are you getting your prices for the new turbo Neon SRT-4? 28k?? Every SRT at the dealership down the street from my job has a sticker in the 19-20k range.

God Scott, you sound just like

My father, one of the most intelligent men I know. This is his argument as well. (Of course this is also coming from a current owner of 91GT mustang w/33000 on the clock and a convertible 66GTO with 39000 on the clock that he has owned for the past 32 years. Go figure)

No never said the Cobra was not worth the money. For 34k and all the goodies, (and yes you do get quite a few) it is.

For the bang for the buck term, GN.

And for 34k though, I would still rather own a GNX:D

As far as dependability, yes the TR's are sixteen year old cars and regardless something will and always does break but one important key to keeping these costs down?

Simple, maintenance.(but this is purely theoretical)

I break something on the Cobra, regardless of how I am driving it, they find a scuff mark on the supercharger or something to that effect and guess what, I am coming out of my pocket anyway b/c of evidence "of driving under adverse conditions" Once again go figure.

Whats the point of having a warranty if the company refuses to honor that same warranty? Its the same with a GN with the exception that if something breaks, I am on the hook anyway.

And I can drive it like I just stole it, instead of driving it like its been leased.

The Cobra and the horror stories that I have read and heard from first hand worry me sincerely, since it is a car that is 16 yrs older than a GN and with technological advancements, those worries should be far and few in between.

For 34k that car should be able to drive itself.:D

I think we are arguing about both: Cost effectiveness, and Personal Preferences the two don't and won't jive ever.

But I admittedly enough can agree :eek: to a small amount of what you are saying.

Watch your spelling though
J/K:D
Steve Chambers

I can imagine what they say when a TTA smokes em! The only limitation on the engine v/s engine debate is the stock block. I believe they have the ability to push it a little harder, then again they don't have stage motors ! :)

Scott's just mad because the 30k dollar Ford will whip his 50k dollar Vette. :D

The Cobras are fast...but ugly if you ask me. To each their own.

i would like to note that the '03 cobra is an awsome car and pretty good deal for the money. at least when compared to other currently available cars...thats my opinion.

i should have ~12k in my car by the time i am done, and i will consider it new. that is body off, powder coated frame, all new suspension(front and back), all kinds of engine mods(should run low 12s hopefully) new wheels of my choice, and new paint... the interior isnt new but looks new enough. as far as i am concerned, that is a new car, no matter how many miles are on the odometer.

this is of course dong all of the work myself. it would be a lot more expensive to have someone else doo all of it.

my $0.02

-jeff

Back