GN vs Benz v-8 Compressor

V8killR4U

Had my car out last weekend. the weather was nice the nicest its been here in MI. low 50's. Well anyways When ever im lookin to play around that mudstang or camaro is always goin the other way. Today my luck had changed. i was on Hall Rd M59 in the Detroit area. Pulling out of the gas station was a brand new SL500or 600 I think. Didnt know it was supercharged til I saw the badge. It was a four lane rd and we were both stopped at the light. I look over at the car and give a nod to the guy. Younger guy. Let him know I admired his car. And yes i know these bad boys are fast as hell. So i knew if we went it would be a good lil race. This car was bad azz, Two seater roadster. I had the windows up but i could here him give it a lil rev. Obviously he knew his car was fast and he must have thought I had no clue. Well anyways, light turns we both floor it. I didnt brake boost, didnt have time too. He floored it I floored it and he pulled a half car, I lost traction big time. We only rolled for a short distance maybe 50 yards or so if that. I would have like to have went from a roll for a lil longer distance but oh well. It was the first time my car got out this year really and it was fun. I think I t would have been a good race though. Well not really a kill but as good as it gts for me thus far this year. My car runs 12.00 in street, trim with Alchy. Should be a mid 11 sec car with C16 and slicks.:cool:

Good run, if his benzo said "compressor" it was the 500 v-8 supercharged car. The 600 comes complete with a a 6.0L V12 and Two turbos that make around 600lbs of torque. I bet if you had your car ready to go with a little juice at launch you would crush the 500.

Kumpressor to the shallow chicks-cause it darn near makes them do just that to even see one.:p

The supercharged (kompressor) V8 SL 500 AMG has the same power rating as the Twin Turbo V12 SL600. Good kill, those things are fast! And about $120,000 more than our buicks.

Nick

hmmmm, i ran one of them sl600s a few weeks ago, i was wondering why i wasent able to shake him. we were at a stop light and my lane ends so i got on it fairly easy, enough to pass most cars and this guy nailed it and pulled until his rear bumper was to my front. about then my turbo had spooled and i pulled a fender on him but then i had let off and drop behind him because the lane ended.

i had no idea what they were, i shook it off at the time but its maken me wonder. i just remember the badge because of how well it did agenst me.

Originally posted by I eat Z06
The supercharged (kompressor) V8 SL 500 AMG has the same power rating as the Twin Turbo V12 SL600. Good kill, those things are fast! And about $120,000 more than our buicks.

Nick

I saw me one of those yesterday! A guy no older than 25 was driving it. I felt really small in my winter car sunfire. Verrrrrrrry slick car.

It could have been...

.....an SLK 32 AMG. This is a 6 cylinder Kompressor motor with 349 hp stock. I really like my new Benz but I sure miss my 87 GN. I hope to get a GNX one day. GN's are still by far king of the street!
Cheers guys!

Shaun

Those arnt that fast though. Seem to always get beat on by the Z3 M. Not much of a prob compared to the big bro with double the hp.

Nick

There are only 2 cars this could have been if it was a 2-seat roadster - An AMG SLK32 or the larger AMG SL55.
The 32 is pretty small and shouldn't have been a real problem to you (349HP V6) , but the SL55 is much longer and wider, is a retractable hard top-to-convertible, but has 493HP and 516ft/lb of torque. The normal sl500 is pretty, but only has about 300HP to play with.

The SL600 has 493HP but 593 ft/lb of torque. Twin turbo. I'd rather have the SL55 for over $6K less and spend it on wheels and a pulley change!

Jim

See the site under 'Model Selector':

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=SL500R

If you have that much cash to spend on a benz. Then you want performacnce (TT V12 vs. Super V8). So you go to Renn Tech, and get a colse to 1000hp Benz and whoop some ****. I would if I had the cash. Imagine an 11 sec Benz as a daily driver for some rich mo fo.:eek: Wish I was that guy.:D

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
If you have that much cash to spend on a benz. Then you want performacnce (TT V12 vs. Super V8). So you go to Renn Tech, and get a colse to 1000hp Benz and whoop some ****. I would if I had the cash. Imagine an 11 sec Benz as a daily driver for some rich mo fo.:eek: Wish I was that guy.:D

Nick
I have a benz but don't agree that you have to want performance.I think the feel and ride especially on the highway is what it is all about.

I have the GN for stoplight and quarter mile blasting and don't need another car for the same thing. I bought my benz for the ride quality, class,and build. Not for something that will dragrace well.

I was saying you have a 500hp beast, that is also perfect in every other way, but you want more power. Between the SL55 (super V8) vs. SL 600 (TT V12). Get the 600 and go to RennTech, the TT setup will be able to push out more power than the Super 8. As a benz owner you know how RennTech makes some sick cars.

Nick

Imagine an 11 sec Benz as a daily driver for some rich mo fo. Wish I was that guy.

The SL600 in Car & Driver did 0-60 in 3.6 and the quarter in 11.9. Not bad for a car that is 4,400 lbs. I do agree with onefastjackass about build quailty and high way speed. My 500E will cruise at 240kph (150 mph) all day long. I was coming from a late appointment one night and there was no one on the number 1 so I gave er a bit. I hit 110 mph and then gunned it. I hit 140 in a matter of seconds!:eek: Very solid too. The GN is still the king of the street as I stated before.

Shaun

Unfortunately, Renntech's best skill seems to be drastically lightening your car via your wallet.

$1500 for an oil cooler add.

$24,000 to stroke and cam my '90 AMG 300CE24 for an extra 54HP!

$3700 for a Stainless exhaust system for my car, NOT INCLUDING the header (another $1750)!

I guess if you have the money for a TT Benz you might not care, but it irks me to have someone offer to screw you outright...

OK, it's out of my system now...

Jim

A bit OT, but... it sort of facinates me that MB has such succesful use of supercharging AND turbocharging. You'd think a brand would stick to one of the other. Are there any other brands out there that use both currently? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Dodge - turbo, GM - supercharger, Ford - supercharger, Porsche - turbo, BMW - none?, Subaru - turbo, Mazda - turbo, Toyota - none?
Anyway, have to give credit for building such nice engines using both technologies.

On a side note, regarding the 349 hp 3.2 supercharged engine, I really do like that in the little C32. What a fun car! It' still take an M3 since the C is an auto-only car, but I've been in one and it hauls going straigh, and grips corners enough to make you queesy!

GM and Ford use both. Turbo on the diesels and supers on the gas. I think the reason that RennTech is soo expensive is they have to do extensive work to make power out of a benz and not piss of the computer. So they proably spend alot of cash while designing the parts and then they still have to make a profit selling the parts.

Nick