GN vs. C6 z06

I raced 2 of them so far in street trim with 15psi and it was not enough to yeild a victory (had me by a car length). But at 18 to 19 psi on pump gas and regular radial tires they were in my rear view mirror (2 car lengths). Then I got," hey man did you just spray me?" And I said,"no, I was playing with you the first time". :D They are the best bang for your buck. Very responsive. But now that I have tuned my alky kit at 23psi on 94 Sunoco pump gas, the race is no longer interesting. You can fit subway trains between us.

Zo6 = slow!

JDSfastGN said:
Z06 vettes are not only straight line cars. For the most part 95% of GNs are straight line cars. the fact that the Z can run mid to low 11s on a suspension that will destroy all but the most expensive/high horsepowered exotics around a road course is just a bonus. The vette is much more than a factory 11 sec car. I agree working on your car and making it into your own version of a badass street car is the best, and most rewarding way to go. But real vette lovers love this vette. Because it can compete with anything else in its class regardless of price, and this car has finally put GM back on top in the domestic sports car class. No vette owner liked playing second fiddle to the Viper.
I went up against a black z06 at a red light, I had no idea if he was going to go for it or not so I DID NOT! build any boost! The light turned green and he FLOORED IT! and so did I, we were even when he barked second but after that, Good Bye!! I ended up putting about 8 lengths on this guy and when I looked back the front end of his car was still lifting from the shifts, then he flashed his brights at me and never got next to me again....

Now on another coarse I found a stock Z06. it was a auto-cross coarse. I came within a half second of his time and it was my first and only time on a auto-cross coarse "EVER". They arn't all that!!!! You guy's, Don't under estimate the Grand National for one second! They came factory with a 4-link set-up and they handle awsome, you just need to get out and try the auto-cross just once and you'll be hooked!!!!!! Here are some pics of me on the auto-cross corse... Scot w.

The silver zo6 in the picture had over 1,000hp and the GN still whooped it's ass...... :biggrin:

scot w. said:
I went up against a black z06 at a red light, I had no idea if he was going to go for it or not so I DID NOT! build any boost! The light turned green and he FLOORED IT! and so did I, we were even when he barked second but after that, Good Bye!! I ended up putting about 8 lengths on this guy and when I looked back the front end of his car was still lifting from the shifts, then he flashed his brights at me and never got next to me again....

Now on another coarse I found a stock Z06. it was a auto-cross coarse. I came within a half second of his time and it was my first and only time on a auto-cross coarse "EVER". They arn't all that!!!! You guy's, Don't under estimate the Grand National for one second! They came factory with a 4-link set-up and they handle awsome, you just need to get out and try the auto-cross just once and you'll be hooked!!!!!! Here are some pics of me on the auto-cross corse... Scot w.

The silver zo6 in the picture had over 1,000hp and the GN still whooped it's ass...... :biggrin:

Z06's are far from slow my friend, in street trim, on pump gas you will have your hands full. There is no way with your mods in your sig and pump gas you will be able to whip a Z06 by 8 car lengths. With race fuel, a scammer tire and good boost is a different story, but I still can't see you beating him one by 8 lengths. That would mean you are a second and a half quicker then one, and that would mean you run 9.70's. Not belittling you by any means. But these cars are quick.

ttypewhite said:
Z06's are far from slow my friend, in street trim, on pump gas you will have your hands full. There is no way with your mods in your sig and pump gas you will be able to whip a Z06 by 8 car lengths. With race fuel, a scammer tire and good boost is a different story, but I still can't see you beating him one by 8 lengths. That would mean you are a second and a half quicker then one, and that would mean you run 9.70's. Not belittling you by any means. But these cars are quick.
Well my friend it's possible! I was running 20lbs boost on reg. 93octane "NO ALKY"&" NO KNOCK" and M/T drag radials. I flat footed it off the light, Like said above we were side by side untill after he hit second gear, after that I was totally gone!! Knowone paced off the lengths or anything but I know for a fact that I was an easy 8 cars in front.. Don't down someones car if you have no idea of there tune or the other drivers capabilites. you should know by now that if your spinning your not going anywhere!! and I heard him spin into second.. then after trying like hell to catch up he flashed his brights three times to me and I slowed from a 50mph limit to 30 and he refused to get next to me!! That my friend is a KILL!!!!!!! any way you look at it!!!

Scot please clarify...

ttypewhite said:
Was it a new ZO6 or an 04 or 05?

RUQWKNF27 said:
What did you run when you ****ped the 1000HP vettte//..
I did'nt stomp the 1,000hp vette but a friend did out of North Carolina. ( The one pictured!) the vette was in the 8's in the 1/8th mile and all the GN's were in the low to mid 7's & 6's. all the vette did was spin, what good is HP if you can't use it?

Brer Rabbit said:
Those shots look great, I just hope those cones on the floor werent from u ;) .
Hi Mr. Rabbit! Those cones on the ground indicate which way you need to turn! or which way the coarse goes... I never hit a cone, and can tell all of you! I was strictly a drag race kinda guy but now that iv'e done the auto-cross it has changed my view on things. with drag racing you just mash the gas pettle. with auto-cross you have to floor it, brake like hell, turn like hell and it keeps the rush going the whole time from start to finish. I even had the shakes after for some time cause it's sooo intense..

scot w. said:
........ Now on another coarse I found a stock Z06. it was a auto-cross coarse. ........

LOVE the checkerd flag graphics (reflection?) on the rear 1/4.

I've driven a friends Z06 and I own a t-type. Z06 wins in my mind if we are comparing stock to stock.

Jerryl said:
LOVE the checkerd flag graphics (reflection?) on the rear 1/4.
No reflection, Air brushed on with metallic silver and purple perle in the clear just over the air-brushing..

charliep said:
I've driven a friends Z06 and I own a t-type. Z06 wins in my mind if we are comparing stock to stock.
The most important Part of your sentance was."IF WE WERE COMPARING STOCK TO STOCK" but were not! whitettype did'nt think it's possible, But it is! and it was done by me personally..

This comparison is kind of silly imo. A GN with a mild build and some good tires will crush nearly any independant rear suspensioned sports car in the quarter. The problem is those vettes have a lot of hp and the mph is out of sight for a production car under $100k. In a straight line not even a low 12 second GN could come close to a ZO6. It will take something that runs 11.50's or quicker. Which today is a mild build imo. 4 years ago i raced a turbocharged vette from a roll up to about 140mph. I pulled ahead a couple lengths then as i approached the top of 3rd the vette was right up my a$$. If i went into OD and continued to stay on it he would have blown by me like i hit the brakes. We both let of at the same time and BS'd about our cars at a rest stop for a while. He explained the car had 750hp. I presumed he was referring to fwhp, and not rwhp because he would have smoked me immediately if he had 750 rwhp. At that time my car had gone 6.70@102.9 in the eighth. Would have went 129-130mph in the quarter but no cage. The ZO6 is a totally different animal than what we play with. Those are road race cars. GN's are not. The GN's will smack down a lot of cars with little $ spent though. This makes them ideal straight line cars which most can afford. Maybe not for long as the prices of nice TR's seems to be climbing rapidly :smile: .

scot w. said:
The most important Part of your sentance was."IF WE WERE COMPARING STOCK TO STOCK" but were not! whitettype did'nt think it's possible, But it is! and it was done by me personally..

You left out alot of info that would have stopped my post. Like the fact that, at the top of your post you have z06=slow when we well know they are not,and in your post you never mention he had a traction problem. You made it seem like they make no power (atleast thats the way I read it, cause 8 cars doesn't sound right with a car that fast). I have seen new stock z06's run low 11's on factory tires and 124+mph. When comparing cars like malibu78 did in this thread. You are figuring all is equal (traction etc) and which makes more power. Driver error should not be in question. Good kill. Glad you thrumped him, but a better driver would have given a better race.

bison said:
This comparison is kind of silly imo. A GN with a mild build and some good tires will crush nearly any independant rear suspensioned sports car in the quarter. The problem is those vettes have a lot of hp and the mph is out of sight for a production car under $100k. In a straight line not even a low 12 second GN could come close to a ZO6. It will take something that runs 11.50's or quicker. Which today is a mild build imo. 4 years ago i raced a turbocharged vette from a roll up to about 140mph. I pulled ahead a couple lengths then as i approached the top of 3rd the vette was right up my a$$. If i went into OD and continued to stay on it he would have blown by me like i hit the brakes. We both let of at the same time and BS'd about our cars at a rest stop for a while. He explained the car had 750hp. I presumed he was referring to fwhp, and not rwhp because he would have smoked me immediately if he had 750 rwhp. At that time my car had gone 6.70@102.9 in the eighth. Would have went 129-130mph in the quarter but no cage. The ZO6 is a totally different animal than what we play with. Those are road race cars. GN's are not. The GN's will smack down a lot of cars with little $ spent though. This makes them ideal straight line cars which most can afford. Maybe not for long as the prices of nice TR's seems to be climbing rapidly :smile: .
The zo6 has what 525hp or something? well alot of the production cars nowadays have alot of HP from the factory for under $100,000. Dodge with the SRT-8 line = 425HP stock in the magnum, Ford with the Shelby GT mustang = 4 someting HP and they are popping up every year with more HP for under $100,000. I just chose to be able to beat them with a 20yr old 3600lb buick regal for under $20,000 thats all. Yea i'm sure the zo6 has alot of top end but the story here is, We live in the U.S. NOT germany! where can we hit those speeds "without" the dreded TICKET? So as many of us do. we will still do a quick burst race and thats about it due to the cost and points of the ticket system. so maybe the Money Throwers buying these High Dollar, High HP cars might want to think about investing some of there big money towards a better tire so they can hook instead of spin! That way when they pull up to us and "TRY" to beat the 20yr old 6-cyl Buick they won't be so humiliated..... :biggrin:

Rear seating/trunk space in the Vette is abyssmal...its pretty good in the CheVette , however.
Seriously, it is hard to bite the bullit on how good these cars are these days. Especially after being on top for so long. But the comparison of the sports car class Vette to our 5 pass vehicles really makes the Vetts look alittle slouchy and late for the party up to all these years.
BTW: Re GM's finances/sales, the AP news said that GM's cars were not exciting.

Have seen only one at our local 1/8 mile track. He obviously couldnt drive it, he must have left the traction control on, you could outrun it on foot for a bit, the car looked totally useless at the track but pulled OK mph, ran 8.8 at 92, he hit 3rd right before the traps