You can type here any text you want

GN wheels rechromed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

j-6

does anybody know anyone that re-works the original wheels to remove rust and rechrome:cool: :cool:

re-work & re-chrome factory wheels

In order to do this correctly to the factory steel GN wheels, the wheel must be separated into three pieces - inner and outer rim shells and the center section. This is done on a CNC mill that cuts down the weld seams.

the wheel has to be taken apart like this as it is the only way to re-chrome the deep outer shell where it meets the center section.

I had a set of original GN wheels done this way and the result was fantastic.

If you want to retain the original date codes and part #s for your wheels, be sure to tell the shop that you want to keep your original shells. Sometimes, for a quicker turn around, new inner and outer shells will be welded to your original center section since the center section rarely has any chrome damage. Usually, the center section just has the paint removed, chrome polished and then has the black reapplied as powder coat or paint. The replacement shells have no markings or part #'s.

It is a good idea to powder coat the back of the center section to protect it from brake dust and moisture.

Jim Lyon at trudesignWheel dot net is the source I would recommend. Jim does great work. tom shea (who runs the MN GN club) has used him as well with excellent results for widening wheels as well.

In the April 10, 2007 Kirban InnerCircle newsletter, this topic was noted. Sources for re-working wheels were:

trudesignwheel dot net
800-621-6436 ask for Jim

wheelcollision dot com

Precision Wheel Service in Minnesota
(952) 881-3010 ask for Tom

This should give you a great head start on your project. You should know that there are some vendors that offer this wheel service. But I know from experience that vendor is just a middle man and sends the wheels to Jim Lyon at TruDesignWheel. It is best to deal direct and not pay for the middle man's markup. You'll be happier in the end. ;)

Shop around before you decide. It gets expensive. I remember when I was shopping around for someone to re chrome my bumber and the price range was from $300 to $600 just for the bumper. It's winter time so maybe you'll get a better price.

Re chroming the wheels also means taping them off where it is black.

I think Brian at GBody can do them.

GBody sends them to truDesign wheel to be done...

Back