You can type here any text you want

GN1R heads: how do you stop oil from entering ports

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

I have a set of GN1R heads on my Stage motor and I noticed that oil accumulate inside the port due to oil entering in through some of the head studs that enter through the top of the heads and then into the intake and exhaust ports. I can see the studs when I look down the intake runners on my heads with the intake off.

How do you guys seal the studs, so oil doesn't get in, and obviously seal boost in.

A

ARP thread seal.

same stuff used for the studs in the water jackets.

I reckon permatex makes the same stuff and its cheaper. just white teflon paste.

Thats what is being used on my stage build.

........ I noticed that oil accumulate inside the port due to oil entering in through some of the head studs that enter through the top of the heads and then into the intake and exhaust ports. I can see the studs when I look down the intake runners on my heads with the intake off.....A

Are you sure that your are seeing the studs, and these are not tubes pressed into the heads which seal the stud holes?

Also, did you check the intake gaskets to determine if they are sealing completely around the ports?

Oil will NOT come up the stud, it will come from the top of the head, or from the intake not sealing. Of course the worst is the head may have a crack?

We have seen this issue more than once.:eek:

are you alking about the actual head studs, or the Rocker Arm studs? cause my GN1Rs have rocker studs that punch into the ports.

not doubting you Nick, never never... but I have had the rocker studs leak into the ports on mine.

Nick and Dr. Frankenstien,

I am certain that the intake gaskets were not leaking, and nick, I believe you when you say they are the sleeves pressed into the heads, I am going to do some more closer inspection, but I was pretty sure I saw oil residue around the side of the sleeves/studs.

I am pretty sure the heads are not cracked as the car performed well before I bought the motor.

Any way to verify? I guess I could easily take off the rocker arm studs and put new sealant on them, but the studs, I am afraid to loosen one of them off, I fear that I will compromise the head gasket if I do.

Adrian

My guess at this point is the tubes have worked loose, as we find this happens often.

The oil which flows on top of the head will leak down the tubes into the ports.

If there is not a lot of oil, just use the car for the rest of your season, as you have the usual long winter to fix it. :)

Just keep a watch on your spark plugs so they do not foul with too much oil.

Nick, what would be the course of fixing this issue? I was thinking of making a plate and bolting it to each head port and putting air into it to test where the oil is coming from. Good idea?

Nick, what would be the course of fixing this issue? I was thinking of making a plate and bolting it to each head port and putting air into it to test where the oil is coming from. Good idea?

Give me a call when you can later this afternoon as I have a couple ideas. :)

Back