GNX Gauge Cluster VDO Speedometer

Mercury7

Has anyone had experiences with the VDO speedometer gauge in the GNX Gauge Cluster basically going a bit haywire?

The speedo was never dead on for about a year now; it would jump at low speeds and then at highway speeds it would settle in and consistently read about 5mph on the low side.

The speedometer cable was replaced around a year ago since it could be heard grinding a bit, but that didn't change anything with the speedo readings.

And now it's gone all the way bat****, spinning and jumping seemingly with no patterns and never reads anything close to actual at any speeds.

Cruising at highway speeds the speedo will read between 110 and 120 and sometimes falling almost down to zero and then spinning back up again.

The speedo might be over 20 years old now, do these things eventually just wear out like this?

Thanks

Thank You David!

Sometimes you gotta look to newer technology; I wasn't even aware of the electric ones as an option.

I gotta give that option some serious noodling...

Did you replace both speedo cables there is one from the trans to the speed sendor then one from the sendoe to the gauge. seams like the lowe cable from trans to speed sendor likes to cause trouble.

Thank You 681ton,

I doubt that the other cable has ever been replaced; I'll do that 1st and then see if the speedo comes out of the loony bin.

VDO Gauges in GNX Dash

I take it that it's a mechanical VDO gauge? If so, these are no longer available and you might want to keep it and have it re-built by North Hollywood Speedo and Clock. They are one of the largest VDO houses and do repair / rebuild work. I had them recalibrate my speedo into KMH's and they made up a new face plate too. Great work and reasonably priced.

Here's their contact info:

North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock Co.
6111 Lankershim Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA
91606-4898,

Tel # (818) 761-5139

www.nhspeedometer.com

Attachments

• GNX VDO Dash 005.jpg
    GNX VDO Dash 005.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 712
  • gnx dash idiot lights 003.jpg
    gnx dash idiot lights 003.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 546
This is why I love this site!

There is always someone with great info and experience for any problem. Awesome! By the way there is a typo in the link- should by Nhspeedometer.com

North Hollywood Speedometer & Clock Co. Link

There is always someone with great info and experience for any problem. Awesome! By the way there is a typo in the link- should by Nhspeedometer.com

Thanks for the correction on the link to their website.....guess I missed it! ;)

nhspeedometer.com

North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock Co.
6111 Lankershim Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA
91606-4898,

Tel # (818) 761-5139

dave