GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

I know these are bad pictures …but there the only ones I have of GNX 001 when it was picked up on a roll back truck to be delivered to GM’s president to drive. The pictures were taker outside our plant as the truck was leaving.

Attachments

• scan0022.jpg
    scan0022.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 688
  • scan0023.jpg
    scan0023.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 687
Can you give me the address. The next time I am in Michigan I will go by and check it out.

Thanks

Yeah I was back there a few months ago. I flew by the old ASC GNX conversion building on the freeway and thought to myself. What the hell I'm this close, I'm freakin turning around.

What a strange haunting place Detroit has become to me. I hope to see it come back before I die. There is a very sad feeling in the pit of my stomach. So much automotive history there. I could go into Accountants, Lawyers, Unions and Politicians but,........... you know. Why poison such a great thread.

Thank You Rick, I hope you are doing well............................................................ Get the sign before I do and send it to you.

Did the GNs sent to ASC for conversion have wheel lip mouldings installed? I'm thinking the factory would have left them off since the cars were receiving wheelwell mods.

Did the GNs sent to ASC for conversion have wheel lip mouldings installed? I'm thinking the factory would have left them off since the cars were receiving wheelwell mods.
You are correct...the moldings were not on the vehicle when we received them ,we also had the badges removed from the exterior .

RICK, DO YOU HAVE ANY DOCUMENTATION OF THE UNDERBODY MARKINGS AND FACTORY TAGS UNDER THESE CARS?(SUCH AS THE ORANGE "P" ON THE REAR END HOUSING.

rick, thank you so much for taking the time and putting up a thread like this. I love the old prototype pictures, heck i love all the old pictures!! do u have a link to ur build thread on ur white gnx?

again thank you

Thanks for the nice words (PM sent)...I need to put something new on this thread ... :eek: LOL

There is no difference between a stock GN torque converter and a GNX torque converter. This was the converter that was a back up unit to be used if needed during testing. So it is marked GNX designating what program it was used for. This is a NOS GN converter,
and it does have fluid in it to help preserve it.
c1.JPG
c2.JPG

NICE. RICK, THE GNX I WORKED ON THIS PAST SUMMER HAD A LOWER ENGINE NOISE(I THOUGHT SURE WAS A ROD KNOCK) AFTER HOURS OF CHECKING,JACKING UP, BARS TO PRY ON ITEMS TO FIND NOISE, I FINALLY FOUND NOISE(ALSO THANKS TO RESEARCH ON THIS SIGHT) THIS 12,000 MILE GNX
HAD 2 CONVERTER BOLTS LOOSE.. THE OWNER HAD JUST PURCHASED THE CAR,I WAS WANDERING IF THIS WAS ONE OF THE REASONS THE PREV OWNER SOLD THE CAR???ANYWAYS ALWAYS WILLING TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW... THANKS FOR THE INFO AND PICS..

NICE. RICK, THE GNX I WORKED ON THIS PAST SUMMER HAD A LOWER ENGINE NOISE(I THOUGHT SURE WAS A ROD KNOCK) AFTER HOURS OF CHECKING,JACKING UP, BARS TO PRY ON ITEMS TO FIND NOISE, I FINALLY FOUND NOISE(ALSO THANKS TO RESEARCH ON THIS SIGHT) THIS 12,000 MILE GNX
HAD 2 CONVERTER BOLTS LOOSE.. THE OWNER HAD JUST PURCHASED THE CAR,I WAS WANDERING IF THIS WAS ONE OF THE REASONS THE PREV OWNER SOLD THE CAR???ANYWAYS ALWAYS WILLING TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW... THANKS FOR THE INFO AND PICS..

same exact thing happened to my friends 86 gn. he called me up in panic, but i noticed once he rev'd it the noise didnt slow down with the RPM of the motor, took the inspection pan off and sure enough a nut (might have been a bolt been so long and i forgot, i wanna say bolt though..) fell right out!

Rick since they didnt change the converters in the GNX, was the bigger turbo in the GNX alittle laggy-er? or was it not noticeable at all?

I think this section needs a revitalizing. Rick has posted some extremely informative info in the Gnx and how the parts came to be and the prototype stuff is simply amazing!
May i suggest a section if not this section to break down each Gnx part in detail and show either a current owner or a new owner how to determine if your Gnx has authentic parts in it.
If Rick is down with it maybe we can post pictures of each specific part and how to identify it as "real"

I have enjoied reading all of this also. I would like to know more about the mods to the rear susp, like the traction bar, and the mods made to the trans. If its posible. And why they instaled the rear seat braces and frame bushings.

same exact thing happened to my friends 86 gn. he called me up in panic, but i noticed once he rev'd it the noise didnt slow down with the RPM of the motor, took the inspection pan off and sure enough a nut (might have been a bolt been so long and i forgot, i wanna say bolt though..) fell right out!

Rick since they didnt change the converters in the GNX, was the bigger turbo in the GNX alittle laggy-er? or was it not noticeable at all?
It actually spooled better then production .....the ceramic turbo charger spooled fast especially for that ara.

Last edited:
This was an illustration I was give when building the prototype vehicles. I used this for the fabrication of the transmission cooling lines and for making the mounting brackets for the transmission cooler.
DSCN1956.JPG