You can type here any text you want

GNX rear suspension

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

supercoupe5

has anyone put one of the GNX rear suspensions on from Kirban. wondering if it is all they say it is. is there some better way to get one of these cars to hook up. is it worth the $2000 that they want for it. thanks dave

hooking up

in my opinion the gnx suspention looks cool and is a definate conversation piece, but for the price ,do yourself a favor and get the hrparts rear bar and a good set of lca's. with some sticky tires. you should have no problem hooking with these parts and you'll be good into the single digits + save some bucks. You'll also not need airbags in the rear. Just my opinion Anyone else?????

HRParts & Stuff bar, or maybe the new Spohn bar which is a little less expensive. Brian at GBodyParts sells both and can advise further.
I have posted several posts on the GNX set-up installed on t-types & GNs. Both costs & imp[ressions, might want to do a search.

its everything and more-if you just want to "hook up" its not for you

do what these other guys are doing for sure.

understasnd it changes the whole handling dynamics of the car-driving is a pure pleasure

ask someone who has an x or try to drive/ride in one yourself to see the difference

there has been many arguments for handling/ traction on gns and one things for sure
95% of the peolple against it have no idea or have never been in a gnx to draw there opinion.

so seek out peolple with gnxs- it will be hard but then you will get and honest to goodness real good feedback instead of mostly one sided rhetoric

hope this helps

no way would I use that set up for "hooking up" :rolleyes: we use replacement control arms for a stock car (UMI's) with an ATR rear sway bar . mid 1.4 shorts on drag radials :cool:

no way would I use that set up for "hooking up" :rolleyes: we use replacement control arms for a stock car (UMI's) with an ATR rear sway bar . mid 1.4 shorts on drag radials :cool:

How DARE you not use the H&R rear bar and get good short times!

if i am reading this corectly it is more for looks and handling, but if i want to go race and hook hard stay away. thanks dave

I do not own a GNX, but I have ridden in 2 or 3, and I have ridden & driven in 2 or 3 turbo Buicks that have been converted over, and although the GNX suspension is rich in history and factory straight line performance from a historical point, it pales in comparasion to what you can do with a lot less money, in both all around handling and straight line performance. Consider this:
The kit is about $2k. Most would not consider it a back yard project, although I am sure that somebody on here will vent that they did it with their hands tied behind their back and both eyes shut. It requires a jig for fail safe installation, and although you can rent one, you will pay a loaner fee & shipping back & forth if you borrow the installation jig. It requires a full on suspension, good body bushings, missing GNX bushings, good shocks, & good upper & lower rear control arms are highly recommended, and did I mention that the exhaust is not a stock off the shelf Midas item and ATR, the only people that made a stainless GNX suspension that I am aware of, are long gone out of business, and if you find a used one, it won't be cheap. Still interested???

I do not own a GNX, but I have ridden in 2 or 3, and I have ridden & driven in 2 or 3 turbo Buicks that have been converted over, and although the GNX suspension is rich in history and factory straight line performance from a historical point, it pales in comparasion to what you can do with a lot less money, in both all around handling and straight line performance. Consider this:
The kit is about $2k. Most would not consider it a back yard project, although I am sure that somebody on here will vent that they did it with their hands tied behind their back and both eyes shut. It requires a jig for fail safe installation, and although you can rent one, you will pay a loaner fee & shipping back & forth if you borrow the installation jig. It requires a full on suspension, good body bushings, missing GNX bushings, good shocks, & good upper & lower rear control arms are highly recommended, and did I mention that the exhaust is not a stock off the shelf Midas item and ATR, the only people that made a stainless GNX suspension that I am aware of, are long gone out of business, and if you find a used one, it won't be cheap. Still interested???
look wells -i have one and helped install a couple.

i know what it takes to do it- i also know you dont need everything on that list.

there are no upper control arms on a gnx !

are you sure youve ridden in one and not a fender vent/flare/ rim clone???

gnx was not an economy car .

this is not cheap and easy

again stick with the grumpys 1.4 short time for that- money ahead

look wells -i have one and helped install a couple.
i know what it takes to do it- i also know you dont need everything on that list. there are no upper control arms on a gnx ! are you sure youve ridden in one and not a fender vent/flare/ rim clone??? gnx was not an economy car .
this is not cheap and easy again stick with the grumpys 1.4 short time for that- money ahead
-------------------------------------
look gnocyde, you are correct in that you do not need everything on that list. I simply forgot that you do not need upper control arms. and yes, I have ridden in 2 or 3 converted ones, and 2 or 3 real gnx's, and I really liked the suspension & ride, but I would never build one after riding in some other suspension set-ups. Dennis kirban stated that it would not be a hot idea to install one if you did not have a good tight suspension, he recommended the missing body bushings, the GNX bushings, good lower rear control arms such as the GW Del-A-Lum's & spherical bearings in the front for the rear lower control arms, and a stock exhaust won't fit, but probably can be made to work. At least two of the ones that I rode in were ATR replica GNX stainless exhaust set-ups, bought before ATR went out of business, sorry for any misconceptions you might have taken. Considering what is available on today's market for suspension set-ups, I think that a better, more suitable rear suspension could be built much cheaper. Only my opinion, though.

ive ridden in gnocides car and a few other gnx's and it deffinetly hooks very hard and would recomend it to anyone that was thinking of doing it

They do hook hard and keep the car in a pretty straight line, but for all around handling characteristics, I think that modern day suspension components will work better and save money.

gary thats fine and thanks for clearing that up

im just saying he should realy do his research because its not cheap or a simple bolt on- and real x owners are far and few and do not jump out to state why there car is different and how and worth 3-4 times that of a gn

the only people i can see really being dissapointed with it are hard core drag racers because there is nobody out there or vendors that specialize in making gnxs do like 1.4 60 foots. nor is there alot of gnx experience people modifying or throwing around combos.(buddy cox maybe)

i use dennis like everyone else however i do not follow anyone 100% except for the makers of the product.

remember his list also stated at one time not to use it on a t-top car:confused: thats what mine is.........7 years now i have not cracked my car in half or any other said engineering disaster

the only people i can see really being dissapointed with it are hard core drag racers because there is nobody out there or vendors that specialize in making gnxs do like 1.4 60 foots. nor is there alot of gnx experience people modifying or throwing around combos.(buddy cox maybe)

I sold Buddy Cox's rear GNX set up so I don't think he was using is after 1200 miles.

I sold Buddy Cox's rear GNX set up so I don't think he was using is after 1200 miles.

exactly what im talking about
-whos going to mod and race gnxs?
not alot of resources available

hmmmm...old brain is burning away here .. I got to thinkin..(ya a bad thing at my age) ..wayyyyyy back in time 1987 I remember Buddy's GNX on a trailer goin in to E Town for Buick meet .. I was lookin at the rear and from what I remember it was already changed .. at that time IF I remember right the car had a little over 500 miles on it :eek: But ya have to take this with a grain of salt .. ya know.. an old age thing :p

from what i see the real argument against it is the cost. for a full on race car it is not the best. i dont want a full on race car so. dave

hmmmm...old brain is burning away here .. I got to thinkin..(ya a bad thing at my age) ..wayyyyyy back in time 1987 I remember Buddy's GNX on a trailer goin in to E Town for Buick meet .. I was lookin at the rear and from what I remember it was already changed .. at that time IF I remember right the car had a little over 500 miles on it :eek: But ya have to take this with a grain of salt .. ya know.. an old age thing :p

I was told wheels removed at 500 which were sold to GNX 001 last summer.
Rear is in Md. & motor is here .I was told the rear & the motor had less then 1000. But I figure people knock mileage down so I estimated 1200 from what I have seen in the past. Un like your wife I'm probablly wrong. Sorry couldn't post that on the other thread it was locked :biggrin:

I was told wheels removed at 500 which were sold to GNX 001 last summer.
Rear is in Md. & motor is here .I was told the rear & the motor had less then 1000. But I figure people knock mileage down so I estimated 1200 from what I have seen in the past. Un like your wife I'm probablly wrong. Sorry couldn't post that on the other thread it was locked :biggrin:

I thought Buick kept GNX 001?

Speaking of mileage, why is it that every turbo being sold on here has less than 500 miles? :eek:

Back