Gnx speedo cable

Well, The napa cable crapped out on me, speedo stopped working and when I disconnected it wire had come undone and frayed. I will see if your suggestion works. Thanks you for the part number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a cable from Napa years ago with no issues. I would return it and get a new one.

I bought a cable from Napa years ago with no issues. I would return it and get a new one.

I am going to try that, I had another cable for gm , turbo, powerglide etc.. but still makes that winding noise when picking up speed

Hi Paul thanks for this link, I'm gonna be ordering new upper & lower cables for my womw gnx dash in my 87 t, I'm a bit lost are upper and lower cable the same just different length? Could I go to this link and order his 38" & 100" options & be done? Thanks in advance..

I ended up ordering a cable from the guy that sold me the gnx. Kit the others I ordered did not work. They made the winding noise and snapped

I ended up ordering a cable from the guy that sold me the gnx. Kit the others I ordered did not work. They made the winding noise and snapped

Napa cable or from the eBay link? Upper, lower, both?

Napa cable or from the eBay link? Upper, lower, both?

It was the upper cable I needed and I ordered the cable from GN restoration.com it was 75 bucks but no issues I spent more dealing with napa and ebay link ones that made noise and snapped.

Hi Paul thanks for this link, I'm gonna be ordering new upper & lower cables for my womw gnx dash in my 87 t, I'm a bit lost are upper and lower cable the same just different length? Could I go to this link and order his 38" & 100" options & be done? Thanks in advance..

the upper cable is different.. it has GM nut on on end (same as at the trans ) and other end has smaller nut for the stewart speedo
the lower cable is GM nut at bottom end and GM thread at top end (same as the speedometer bullet in the trans ) so it and the upper cable can screw together

if you went with a one piece cable it would work
as for the binding noise you need to route cables to avoid any tight radius bends , look for rick hunt's (Xray) post on this in the Gnx forum

I have the same problem with service engine light. Have no codes. Just living to live with it.
if you are running on a stock ecu /chip you shouldnt live with it ..you should get that fixed .
the vss is important not just so you can see mph but so the ecm can see it as it affects fueling and timing , with a turbo tweak the 1-2 timing will stay high in all gears or really low timing on an alky chip as it incorporates a timing retard below 35mph .. and you wont have lockup

the upper cable is different.. it has GM nut on on end (same as at the trans ) and other end has smaller nut for the stewart speedo
the lower cable is GM nut at bottom end and GM thread at top end (same as the speedometer bullet in the trans ) so it and the upper cable can screw together

if you went with a one piece cable it would work
as for the binding noise you need to route cables to avoid any tight radius bends , look for rick hunt's (Xray) post on this in the Gnx forum
Bear in mind Im not near the car to be able to relate to what your describing its in Virginia & I'm in Mass.. are you saying there are two ways to accomplish this; 1 upper & 1 lower that screw into each other. Or one complete cable? Which one is better?

Bear in mind Im not near the car to be able to relate to what your describing its in Virginia & I'm in Mass.. are you saying there are two ways to accomplish this; 1 upper & 1 lower that screw into each other. Or one complete cable? Which one is better?

The cable I bought was one piece.

the cable is two pieces and separates by the driver wheelhouse by the mastercylinder
you could run one piece but with the the avc , poston, or PI dash where you need to install a vss sender inline between the cables under the hood the one piece cable doesnt work well

It was the upper cable I needed and I ordered the cable from GN restoration.com it was 75 bucks but no issues I spent more dealing with napa and ebay link ones that made noise and snapped.

Did you reroute the cable the way pacecarta suggested or leave it in original location? Fwiw I did the homework previously and found all the pics showing rerouting locations.

the cable is two pieces and separates by the driver wheelhouse by the mastercylinder
you could run one piece but with the the avc , poston, or PI dash where you need to install a vss sender inline between the cables under the hood the one piece cable doesnt work well
If I'm interpreting all your info correctly I am ordering a 100" version of the eBay cable to go from speedo to trans. I don't believe there is an inline vss sender in the womw gnx repop dash that would require a break in the cable. Thanks for your help your posts are appreciated as always..

the WOM dash uses the OE optic pickup from the original dash and mounts it behind the SW speedometer so no inline vss needed

Did you reroute the cable the way pacecarta suggested or leave it in original location? Fwiw I did the homework previously and found all the pics showing rerouting locations.
Did you have to drill a new hole for the gnx speedometer cable? How did you reroute the cable. Pics would be great

Did you have to drill a new hole for the gnx speedometer cable? How did you reroute the cable. Pics would be great
Hey Jared, I found all my info in a thread titled "gnx dad install" posted by Bill Haines, I passed the info onto Steve V who did the actual work.. That thread should answer your questions..