You can type here any text you want

Go back to standard oil pump?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bluegate

Previously a gear question, see post #7 now. Thank you.

I just need to know if i have standard or hv gears. Stock cover, no spacer, just a thin gasket and stockcap. Hv, would have some kind of spacer right?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It would have a spacer unless you have an aftermarket cover that is cast for the longer gears.

I was thrown off because they mesaured 1.2xx and i thought i read they should be .8xx

stock timing cover - gears are basically flush with oil pump cavity in timing cover.

Correction, this is a HV cover. I thought since it did not have a front side removable crank seal that it was stock.

Is it really that detrimental to have one of these on a street car?? Id rather not buy a new one since this is almost new.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this info as well, I'm about to build an engine and i'm not sure if I should just port the front cover(earl brown mods) and use factory oil pump gears or high volume.

From what I've read here, HV is not necessary for most builds, especially a new build with tight clearences.

Stock oil pump, set up properly with .002 gear end clearance is perfect. If you have Hi-Volume and don't wanna switch, use a light weight oil, such as 5/20 to prevent cold pressure spiking past 100 lbs cold

Stock oil pump, set up properly with .002 gear end clearance is perfect. If you have Hi-Volume and don't wanna switch, use a light weight oil, such as 5/20 to prevent cold pressure spiking past 100 lbs cold
I was wondering if a diff weight would be a good idea. Crazy temps swings where im at, and i plan to drive almost year round.

I've toyed with both... stock and HV. My recommendation is stock all the way. I've had better luck with the stock timing cover and gears. I buy melling oil pumps then adjust them to fit the spec. Never had a bit of problem.

There is never any good reason to run a HV pump on these engines. All they do is increase heat and load on the cam gear, timing set, cam sensor, and front cam bearing.

Yes, plenty of people have gotten away with running a HV pump (kinda) but that doesn't mean they were better off.

Last edited:
There is never any good reason to run a HV pump on these engines. All they do is increase heat and load on the cam gear, timing set, and cam sensor.

Yes, plenty of people have gotten away with running a HV pump (kinda) but that doesn't mean they were better off.
I assume thinner oil is not going to be enough to reduce the strain? Any other trick before going back? Pm me for your cover price earl when you can.

We prefer to use stock oil pump gears, but if done correctly, there is no issue using the bigger gears if the cover is prepared properly.

Using thinner oil is not necessary if your oil pressure in not over 100 psi at start up. On a cold morning it may be 90 psi, but let it warm up for a minute or so.

Without oil pressure numbers, cold to hot, all the comments here, including mine, are just a guess? :confused:

We prefer to use stock oil pump gears, but if done correctly, there is no issue using the bigger gears if the cover is prepared properly.

Using thinner oil is not necessary if your oil pressure in not over 100 psi at start up. On a cold morning it may be 90 psi, but let it warm up for a minute or so.

Without oil pressure numbers, cold to hot, all the comments here, including mine, are just a guess? :confused:
I hear ya. Engine is on a stand, so id like to get a general consensus before wrapping it up. I guess someone would have the need for my hv cover so i can go back to standard and not have to worry about all this high pressure business.

There's plenty of people that think they need a HV pump because "more=better".....

The way the pump works is the gears moves X amount of oil and the pressure release valve dumps the excess. What the pressure valve doesn't dump goes into the engine.

A HV pump moves X*1.25 (ish) amount of oil and the pressure dumps even more to end up with the same thing. And that same amount of oil goes into the engine.

The stock sized pump does it with less parasitic losses.

There's plenty of people that think they need a HV pump because "more=better".....

The way the pump works is the gears moves X amount of oil and the pressure release valve dumps the excess. What the pressure valve doesn't dump goes into the engine.

A HV pump moves X*1.25 (ish) amount of oil and the pressure dumps even more to end up with the same thing. And that same amount of oil goes into the engine.

The stock sized pump does it with less parasitic losses.
Enough for me Earl, check your inbox.

Back