You can type here any text you want

good management system

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jimski

In over my head
Looking for a good engine management system for the hot air. i dont want to blow it up again. any info would help including real life situations

^^^What he said Jim.:D Can't tell you what might work if we don't know what you've got after all.;)

I think I get it now,

you want to upgrade the HA ECM, just convert it to run the 86/87 ECM like most of the HA guys do.

Yup its draw thru 83 setup, stock . i want to do away with the quadrajet also.

What op system are you using now Jim?
Just the stock ecm, i want to run the engine with no knock about 15 psi boost. I dont think that the ecm and knock system are working correctly even at stock levels. There has to be something better to control spark and and other situtions. Also the qudrajet is junk and would like to install a holley or something. I got the boost reference stuff down pat also. Basically i dont want this motor ending up like the last one, cracked pistons becouse the stock system was not doing it's job.

Then you'll need to go with one of the earlier systems Jim. Aj's got a turbo control center for sale and I believe you can get the knock sensor for an 81 chevy truck that will work as well. Rock auto was clearing them out so they might be a little hard to find. I've got a remanned 81 dstributor and a few other parts.:rolleyes: Add an MSD 6A and a BTM (seperate) and a knock modual of some sort and you should be ok.;)

Just to clarify, you still use the ESC when you use the MSD 6A and BTM? Any special issues setting it up?
Thanks.

Just to clarify, you still use the ESC when you use the MSD 6A and BTM? Any special issues setting it up?
Thanks.
The early systems have a little different set up than the puter operated ones Dan. I believe Rich's site has the diagrams and failing that I think I've got them saved. The ESC is the turbo control center.

BTW, did you get my PM?

I've mentioned it before but I've done limited research on adapting something like a 3800 series II OBD2 spark system onto a early block. You would get rid of the distributor and run a cam sensor and the coil packs. The later knock system actually works and OBD2 stuff is easily changed with hptuners and can be scanned. Just strip out the fuel control systems and just run the cam sensor, intake air temp, engine coolant temp and I think thats it. I dont see why it wouldnt work.

If you really want to you could weld injector bungs in and even do an EFI carb turbo and run the entire EFI system just in a completely different way. Carb would just be a throttle but overall it would look stock.

Yeah that isnt a great idea but the spark system should work great on a blowthough setup.

Give me a few years and I will have done the conversion and Ill let you know how to do it. ;)

The '83 TR uses the same basic knock control as the 84/87 SFI engines. It works very well on those cars, so that would be my preference. If you don't think the ECM & ESC are working correctly, then getting them working would be the easiest and best solution in my opinion. The stock ESC is reactive and will save the motor if something goes wrong. And you can easily hook up a knock gauge to help tune the engine. ( I would never try tuning these cars without a knock gauge!)

An MSD BTM can prevent knock, but it cannot react to it. It works with the stock ECM & ESC. I have one - I don't use it and wouldn't recommend it. I don't know of any inexpensive, reactive knock controls in the aftermarket.

I like the Q-jet and would stick with it. If I where to get rid of it, I would swap over from the '83 ECM & ESC to the 1979 Turbo Control Center to keep the reactive knock control. (Swapping to the '79 TCC is much more complicated than finding a good working Q-Jet).

Do you have a scan tool? If not, I would recommend one. You may find a bad sensor which is causing all your problems with the knock and the Q-jet. Not all faults trip the check engine light.

As a matter of fact, I have the COMPLETE turbo control center, new box, new Distributor, brand new correct Knock sensor.

I like the holley idea....... but well...... I would.

The BTM will work great with the ESC system, but it does require a special diode or it acts funny.

Well since the 78-80 cars (Buick and TTA) have 5 pin units, and the 81 up cars have ECM's then it would help.;)

if you are good with wiring and can source a 1227165 ecm you can run it SD spark only or injected at anything upto 30psi using the software we created and use down here http://delcohacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356 allows for realtime tuning of spark and/or fuel knock retard control and has added extra outputs for meth spray boost control etc.
i run a lot of carberated dirt track cars spark only with it and many N/A v6 buicks with turbos bolted on :P

Found my troubles, the distributed was loose a little and advanced the timing somehow. I gunned it out and cranked the holding bolt down. Everything seems moe efficient now.

Does not pull as hard as it did advanced but it is a start. Turned up the boost a little about 13 psi no noises. What timing it best for the car should I advance the timing a little at a time to find the sweet spot?

if you are good with wiring and can source a 1227165 ecm you can run it SD spark only or injected at anything upto 30psi using the software we created and use down here http://delcohacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356 allows for realtime tuning of spark and/or fuel knock retard control and has added extra outputs for meth spray boost control etc.
i run a lot of carberated dirt track cars spark only with it and many N/A v6 buicks with turbos bolted on :P

Hook me up wit the stuff I need this sounds like a winner. I'm good wit wireing

Back