You can type here any text you want

Good picture and maybe measurements of intake location on B4B turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Per the rules of the classes I'm planning on running at Bonneville, I can mount the intake at any height equal to or above the location of the stock air intake. Since the B4B Turbo6's have that hose and air box, it's going to cause some hassle in tech I just know since they are used to carbed cars having intakes roughly at valvecover level.
Can someone take a good picture of where the intake box and scoop is and maybe take a measurement relative to a good point like the frame rail or the oil pan rail?

Thanks,

I snapped a picture, but give me some time to upload it.

With a ruler resting on the frame, the top of the seem on the side of the snorkle is exactly 9 inches high.

IMAG1162.jpg
IMAG1160.jpg

Much thanks!! If you don't mind an overall picture I'd appeciate that too. I'm doubting the 81 Regal I end up buying (haven't found one that the owner will respond to my messages yet) will be a Turbo car so I can't self document.

well any 4bbl intake you put under the turbo will raise the height alot. thats why the stocker is so low, to compensate for the height of the turbo and try and keep it under the hood. the weiand is the worst option for height. as it sits much higher then the comparable edelbrock unit.

I'm not really concerned with how much the carb goes up (well till I can't fit it under the hood anymore), mainly in how low I can put the intake which realistically coresponds to how far forward I can put it to get cold air.

That being said, I could run a cowl hood if for no other reason than to clear a taller carb bonnet.

I'm not really concerned with how much the carb goes up (well till I can't fit it under the hood anymore), mainly in how low I can put the intake which realistically coresponds to how far forward I can put it to get cold air.

That being said, I could run a cowl hood if for no other reason than to clear a taller carb bonnet.

well in my case, with the 301 unit on top of the wieand late style intake, it was almost a 4 1/2" lift to the top of the carb from the original location. in my truck, where hood height is generous... the carb vent just taps the hood. i will be adding a 4" cowl just to provide air cleaner room.

Is there a difference between an 81 hood and an 82-87 hood? I've seen a turbo hood avertised locally as 82-87 and the blister would add some clearance for the bonnet.

81 hoods are the same as 82/87. 1981 was officially an A-body, while in 1982 they became G-bodies. Just a name change - cars are the same.

The turbo hood may not help much. The carb doesn't really sit under the hood bulge.

81 hoods are the same as 82/87. 1981 was officially an A-body, while in 1982 they became G-bodies. Just a name change - cars are the same.

The turbo hood may not help much. The carb doesn't really sit under the hood bulge.
Even on a blow through? I don't want to dirty the air up anymore and since it would be hard to plumb the turbo air intake from the 86-87 location to the cowl, I'm not terribly interested in a cowl hood. However testing has shown that a taller bonnet is a generally a better bonnet. Maybe I can drop the engine in the chassis or something....

Things to think about.

LOL

theres some of the area of confusion... i think thats why your getting mixed replys.

you said B4B turbo.... so its our assumption you were referring to a Draw-Thru turbo unit... A-La the original 90* footed carb turbo unit.

now above you mentioned in Blow-Thru config.... yes... that changes alot about what your saying.

I would agree that the weiand intake with the holley up top and the ESP carb bonnet would definitly fit under an early hood with the bump.

slightly different

Yeah I can see how the confusion came about. I'm governed by the stock positions of things like the air inlets and what kind of forced induction but likewise I can improve upon them within the frame of it being a "back in the day" hot rod stuck in the mid to maybe late 80's style.

Plan is to use the pictures to prove that yes the stock air inlet was down at timing chain level so I can mount an intake there versus up near hood level like most of the factory stuff of the timeframe was. The engine itself will have 86-87 headers and a blow through carb under a bonnet. Have to weigh the high issue with the stock "turbo bulge" hood whether it's worth putting a 1/2in phenolic spacer under the carb for heat rejection or put the height in the bonnet for smoother air.

Thanks for the pictures and comentary guys!

Back