You can type here any text you want

Good thing I have no hair!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
After blowing a hg cause some 16 yr old put 87 octane in my car I decided to do the cam(was running 218/221.5*). The old one was a tad bg and had no vaccum. Since the swap the valvetrain has been very noisy. Has anyone had the same experience?

I have a bit more checking to do as far as pushrod length and shimming of the rocker arms. That seems to be the only possbility as of right now.

I'm using stock lifters and a comp 206/206 cam. Any other guesses.......

How old are the rockers? What condition are they in?

Did you also change the springs?

FWIW, much better cam choice.

Rockers look very good, I do not know the age though. Base of the rocker looks good almost no wear. The builder who didthe setup loves that DLS cam. It pulled very hard up top but lacked a little down low and had no vaccum. He also shims the rockers in his setups.

It definatley sounds like the pushrods are too short. Not a tap but almost a clapping sound. I gotta take the shims out and see what happens. What leads me to believe this is when I bring the rpms up high(past4k) It quiets down some. Like slack is being taken up.

I did a search on it and found similar problems with the GN's, but never heard of it on the TTA. If that's the case I'll have pushrods made.

Hey Julio do you know the stocklength pushrods for our car? The ones I have are stamped 8.500. I'm wondering that since that cam is a stage grind were special pr's used. Base circle differences......

Thanx

Pete

HMMM! 8.475 v/s 8.500 plus a shim. Seems they are a bit long. I think I see a problem. Even with the shim(.005 at most) it would be way off. I set the rockers while each lifter was on the base of the cam. I wonder if the clapping is the cup of the lifter bottoming out. I've changed the oil 3 times even running a big magnet through it looking for metal. Haven't found any locks in it yet :D

Back to the drawing board...

It may get going again by August :(

Originally posted by trading t/a

Back to the drawing board...

It may get going again by August :(

Thats Great...I want to take a few more pics of that beast pulling the wheels!!..:eek:

Why are you not using stock pushrods?

Measure the lash.. that will answer your questions. You want like .030. Contact Comp and ask them what theyre recommendation is.. And the longer pushrod may mess up the geometry. At mid lift you want the contact patch in the middle of the stem.

Gotta love all these non stock parts..

Haven't tried stockers yet, may have to. The 218-221.5* was ran with the 8.500's and shims and ran perfectly, just didn't like it. Now with a smaller cam I might have to change the pushrods as well.

I've read that there are always differences when going to a non stock cam. The 8.500's work on the high lift stage cam, but may not on the 206-206. Will go and take the shims out first then I'll grab some stockers and see what happens.....

I'm just trying to get it running good again so 19TTA89 will buy it ;). He's got money to waste from what I hear......... :eek:

Back