Got to meet a WW2 vet tonight

TRBON8R

I was out in front of the house tonight when a local fireworks display kicked off. An older gentleman was walking down the street and we got to talking. Turns out he was an 80 year old veteran from the Pacific Theater in WW2. His name was Bill and he is a Long Beach, CA native and was a forward observer from the 4th Marine Division. He mentioned how the fireworks reminded him of his days in the service in WW2. He started telling me a few stories that were pretty amazing, scary, and humbling at the same time. It was incredible, his mind was still clear as a bell. After we talked for a while I welcomed him up to the front porch and showed him one of my most prized possessions, an original U.S. WW2 M1 Garand rifle. All of a sudden his eyes lit up and he was in shock. He smiled like he was seeing an old friend. He said he hadn't handled an M1 in almost 60 years and commented about what a wonderful weapon the M1 was and how it saved his life on more than one occasion. It was kind of fun to see a couple of old soldiers reunited. He went on to tell me a couple more stories that made me grateful we were, and still are so fortunate to have so many brave folks watching over us and keeping us safe.

I know what you mean.I used to drink beer at a pub with him.
Good guy,lots of stories.
Some were actually real funny too.
Used to give him a ride home everytime I drank with him.
He always said he would want me watching his butt in a slit trench if he was there again.
I was proud to know him and others like him.
That's why the Poppy's stay on my car doors interior panels 24/7/365.:).
Respect them,call me crazy,but don't ever mess with them.
I may get REAL upset,if you know what I mean.:)

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
I know what you mean.I used to drink beer at a pub with him.
Good guy,lots of stories.
Some were actually real funny too.
Used to give him a ride home everytime I drank with him.
He always said he would want me watching his butt in a slit trench if he was there again.
I was proud to know him and others like him.
That's why the Poppy's stay on my car doors interior panels 24/7/365.:).
Respect them,call me crazy,but don't ever mess with them.
I may get REAL upset,if you know what I mean.:)

For sure Radius! I definitely respect those old guys. They were bad ass and were the kind of guys you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley if they were our age. :eek: Guys like my Uncle Jim that only after he died my father found 4 bronze stars and two purple hearts in his footlocker. He never bragged or told a sole about any of it.

By the way, you Canadians aren't all bad. ;) The inventor of the great M1 rifle I mentioned in my story was a Canadian genious that immigrated to the United States with his parents. :) The great John C. Garand was a mechanical genious that contributed a wonderful weapon that aided the cause of freedom by putting a tool in the hands of Allied soldiers that greatly outclassed the weapons of their foes. Garand was such a mechanical genious that if he was still alive, even though he was a "gun guy" you could probably lock him in a room with an LC2 motor and he could somehow find a way to improve on it and make it work better. :)

My grandfather had the same reaction when I showed him my Garand and Springfield 1911-A1. The stories he has told me about WW2 make even the most crazy scenes in Saving Private Ryan a day at the park.

God Bless our Vets!

Cool story TBON8TR

When I worked at the Vancouver Golf Club, I used to talk to a gentleman (I mean that in every respect off the word) who flew Hurricanes for the RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) in WW2. He told me he finished with 2 kills but he definately didn't boast. He knew he was killing guys like him with families of their own. He did his duty though and we're proud of him.

Shaun

That's the sad part of war,the guy you're shooting at today could be a guy you'd have a beer with under other circumstances.:(

my grandfather was in WW2 and he used to tell me stories about the war. He got shot twice(arm and leg) buy a sniper who had him and his friends pinned down in a fox hole. they eventually killed the sniper( long story:eek: ) and my grandfather carried his wounded buddy back to his unit. he got a purple heart,and a bonze star (which my brother framed and has hanging in his living room) when I was a kid, I used to love hearing those stories, almost has much as grandpa loved to tell them :)