You can type here any text you want

Got to the track tonight :)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTA850

Went to the track tonight, first time out for the year. Made some pump gas runs to tune the car in with the new injectors/chip and new gears. Just wanted to tune it in for 19-20psi like I had it before.

Made 5 passes:
11.705@115.47 w/1.662 (17psi)
11.542@116.87 w/1.603 (18psi)
11.402@118.06 w/1.578 (19psi)
11.226@120.04 w/1.586 (20psi)
11.224@120.17 w/1.582 (20psi)

Not bad for street trim, straight 93 octane Sunoco and nothing else :) Now at least I have some data to work from to get it running right.

Just thought I'd share.

Steve

11.705@115.47 w/1.662 (17psi)

Isnt the stock boost level around 17? Thats pretty stout for that low of boost. Your times woke up alot more as the boost went up. Was that d/t increasing the boost only or where you dialing in the fuel and timing also? Are you going to start throwing some alky into the equation you only got 0.23 seconds to go for a 10.xx pump gas run.

Jason

Great performances :)

Where do you think YOUR max performance line will be (in terms of track time and mph) with pump gas?

leeb

Tune tune tune.. Good job there..

A little more and 10's are yours..

Guess that front mount helps :)

BTW.. tremendous 60 foot times.. you've got your car down to a science.

Jason, yeah the stock boost level is around 16.5psi, and I am very happy with how it ran even with the boost that low. The performance gain was bringing the boost up and adjusting the fuel for the increase in airflow, timing was the same as my chip doesnt allow me to adjust timing only WOT fuel(I can go +/- 10%). To be honest, I am considering going with alchy eventually scince I've never used it before and it really interests me. But that will probrobly come later on.

Eric, no still havent painted the bumper yet. It'll get done after I achive my performance goals. As far as how streetable it is, I'd consider it very streetable and I do drive it often and everywhere - including to and from the track. I'm running 83# injectors and they still need a little fine tuning but seem to be working well. It doesnt spool like a stocker, then again my converter is kind of tight for that size turbo. Though it makes it more controlable on the street.

Lee, I think with some revisions to the fueling in first gear(and on the brake, cause it's very rich and feels like it's flat almost bogging off the line)that I can get those 60fts down into the low 1.5's and maybe pick up the mph to around 121(I feel it can scince it went 96.03 and 98.65mph in the 1/8 on those 11.22 runs). That and I'm thinking a 27" tire would help bring it deeper into the power band at the top of third. That said I think it's very possible I could see a 10.97-10.99 on just pumpgas, I'm gonna try and find out. Who knows maybe there's more than that, but I definatly think a 10.9x is possible.

Julio, thanks :) yeah the car does seem to 60ft well. Though I must admit I was kind of dissapointed scince I've gotten 1.55 60fts on pumpgas before when I had 3.08 gears. I was expecting low 1.5's with the 3.42 gears but think the problem is mostly in the chip and it's low end fueling. Then again anytime I can get consistant 1.57-1.58 60fts I'm happy :)

Steve

your my hero :-)

Have my engine out now for a total rebuild at ANS and doing a combo very simliar to yours..

Glad to know my goal of 11.0-11.50 on pump gas should be a farily easy reality now(easy being relative) lol

Keeping a TE-44 for most of this season no $$$ left after rebuild lol

Hoping to crack into 11's anyhow once tuned

Great running car
LAter
JEremy

Thanks guys :)

Jeremy, yeah it's been a long road but your goals are definatly reachable - but not the easiest way for sure

Going out again tomorrow with racegas, hopefully I have better luck than last Sat where I couldnt even get to make a pass cause of stupid problems with the car.

Steve

Originally posted by TTA850 Lee.... I think it's very possible I could see a 10.97-10.99 on just pumpgas, I'm gonna try and find out. Who knows maybe there's more than that, but I definatly think a 10.9x is possible.
Steve [/B]

When yo break 11 seconds, we'll put another catagory in the FAQ list for times with "PUMP GAS" :)

Impressive numbers! Its goals like this that keep us going ;)

Originally posted by lburou
When yo break 11 seconds, we'll put another catagory in the FAQ list for times with "PUMP GAS" :)

Impressive numbers! Its goals like this that keep us going ;)

Cool, I think you just made me want to stick with this pumpgas thing a while longer :)

Went out today to try with racegas but it wasnt going to happen, somethings up with the calibrations on racegas and I managed a very strong 18.79@66.34mph on my one and only run with racegas. I quickly drained the tank and went back to pumpgas.

First I made 5 passes with 28x10x16 Hoosier slicks:
11.34@118.57 w/1.59
11.32@117.94 w/1.57
11.30@117.95 w/1.57
11.34@118.31 w/1.57
11.29@118.45 w/1.57

Then I switched back to 26x11.5x16 ET Streets:
11.41@117.40 w/1.58(ran with one pound less boost)
11.27@119.12 w/1.59
11.35@119.19 w/1.67(only run it spun the tires)
11.20@119.45 w/1.55 (new best pumpgas ET)
11.23@119.22 w/1.56

All of the runs were made with around 19-20psi boost except for the 11.41 run which was at about 18psi. The 28" tires seem to hurt my ET's a little but made for very consistant times which was a good thing scince I was bracket racing(too bad my last run was an 11.293 on an 11.30 dial in :( ). The air wasnt as good as Wed night(Baro just kept falling)so I wasnt seeing the 120mph traps but it was close and still making good power.

All in all a good day

Steve

Must be nice...

What ya do.. rent the track.. geesh ;) I'm lucky to get 3 passes.

As to your race gas scenario.. been there and dun that. Hence why I got into the alky stuff 2 1/2 years ago. At least you can make 11 passes in one day to get things sorted. When all you have is 3-4 passes..good luck. And having a little race gas in the tank helps your cuase.. You can never really drain a tank unless its sumped. And a few gallons will usually help. Like xylene for example.

Look at the alky timing programs, theyre typically only 1-2 points higher than your pump gas timing. Approx 19-21 degree's.

Good runs.. we envy you..

I'm gonna paint my bumper red.. thats it :D

What do u think the biggest hurdle was in your opinion? least in getting those times on pump gas....

Im willing to try and go as deep into the 11's as possible and god forbid crack a ten on pump gas.............. Put folks like us inot the realm of "Yeah , that was me, wasnt anythign to do at all really"

lol *snaps out of dream*

More than likely going to have to be pushing a TE-44 on break in of my combo and possibly upgrading down the lines of your turbo this year(depends on $$$4 flow and whethwer i buy a house or not)

Stock IC as well since DeQuick owes me 875$ for the one if mine he still has and since he dissappeared grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What kind of timing are u running and whos doing your chips/tuning for u? I do all my SD 730 stuff for my tpi's and goping boosted on one using 749 from sy/ty and plannign on tweaking the ehck out of my tta/gn ecms as well ?

LAter
Jeremy

Belive me I know all about only getting 3 passes if your lucky, thankfully it's not usually like that here.

I know exactly what ya mean and probrobly why you went with alky, I mean I dont mind the expense of racegas as long as the car runs good on it. But days like this where the car dont run well you just waste your money.

I do however have a sumped tank(I went a little overkill on the fuel system when I put it together, -10 line from the tank to the rail and an aeromotive a1000 pump)so I was able to save almost all of the racegas, except for what I used of course, and get it back to pumpgas. If there was any left it was in the lines and I dont think that did much to the 10 gallons of 93 octane I put back in.

Jeremy, I never had any goals to run very quick on pumpgas. My goals was to run as quick as I can in general, my real goal is still to get it to run a 9.90-10.0 which I guess is why it's running so well on pumpgas.

The biggest hurdles have been getting the suspension to work well and be consistant, which I feel is getting there(7 runs in a row between 1.57-1.59 is pretty good). Another problem that has been and still is at least a little is getting the tune just right, between chips and adjustments to the car itself.

As for my chips, last two years I had 55# injectors and was working with Jim Testa with great results IMHO. I also had 3.08 gears and was running similar boost levels. Timing was around 19* and my best time on pumpgas was 11.46@115.81 w/1.558 60ft(10.69@125.80 w/1.476 on racegas).

Currently I'm running 83# injectors and 3.42 gears, I have been working with Eric Marshall www.turbotweak.com and am very happy so far, the car is running better than it ever has. The timing for pumpgas is similar and it's just gonna take a little cleaning of the tune to really get this car moving, both on pumpgas and racegas.

Steve

Steve, I guess the easiest way to get a car running the numbers on pump gas is to build a car thats way faster on 116. Case in point was Geno.. You build a 9 second combination, detune it.. high 10's low 11's shouldnt be a problem. But dont build a low 11 sec capable car, and xpect to run low 11's on 93.

And nobody here knows the pain that Steve has gone through building this car. From the front suspension, rear suspension, tranny, motor development, etc. This isnt your everyday bone stock TTA that all of a sudden runs low 11's. Its built for low 10's easy. Just needs to get figured out. And your rite on track.. figure your race gas tune.. its gonna cook some numbers. Probably be the fastest TTA with a 109 block in the country. Yet you'll have the purists that say it isnt a TTA :rolleyes:

It looks and walks like a duck..its a duck.

I'd hate to look at the check book involved in this car... hats off.. you've done it.

I think if you possibly get a little more burst down low from additional timing, and pull timing out on the top.. Coupled with getting your boost control dialed in.. you may get your 10 second slip on straight 93. Tho the weather is starting to get worse day by day.

lol

Mine wasnt built with the intent of running her on 116, although i would lie if i say im not gonna give it a whirl or 4 lol.

Went into the shop and i wanted it in this order lol

reliable power(if there is such a thing)

11.50 capabilites when sorted out on pump gas at a minimum and Pete(ANS) and I went from there

Bottom end should be more than adequate, going with the eagle crank, roller cam(210/210), heads are all out and if i ever find him(and yes im looking) i would eventually have a DeQuick stock mount(he has my money and my IC). Champion intake, etc, doing it as econonically as possible(still lots of $$$$$$$$$). Built with best possible parts i could afford, would rather have some overkill than loss a eng and trans over a busted stock crank etc...

It wont happen overnite, but im hoping to crack 11's on pump before the yr is out and possibly dig alot deeper as the tune progresses(do my own and know folks who can help) and as the suspension setup comes to fruition.. So this yr she most likely wont be at full potential, but i am hoping by next summer she will be :-)

heres to a 10 sec run(hopefully im knocking on that door)
Jeremy

Originally posted by 3.8TransAM
Bottom end should be more than adequate, going with the eagle crank, roller cam(210/210), heads are all out and if i ever find him(and yes im looking) i would eventually have a DeQuick stock mount(he has my money and my IC). Champion intake, etc, doing it as econonically as possible(still lots of $$$$$$$$$). Built with best possible parts i could afford, would rather have some overkill than loss a eng and trans over a busted stock crank etc...

Sounds like your buildup is in the right direction, scince your going with a good crank(and I'm guessing good rods)why not go with just a little more cam like a 214/214 or maybe even a 218/218. I have the 214/210 in mine and try to keep the rpm's down cause of the stock internals but when I eventually build a 109 motor with good crank and rods I intend to go with a little more cam. Are you doing steel caps, a girdle, or both? I know it's overkill but I did both(all 4 caps and girdle). Cant hurt I guess.

With regards to the intercooler, if you decide you dont want a stock location I belive the V2 for a GN will fit pretty good with some modifications(and should be able to be bought used). I think the only difference is the lower mount and how far down the tubes come(the TTA one hugs the radiator support more). Just an FYI.

Steve

Hey Steve, what kind of stall converter are u runnin? Or what would u suggest to someone running a TE63-1 turbo? Size and all, brand name, etc..

I also plan on running the 208/208 cam. Is this gonna be enough?

Back