You can type here any text you want

Great heads,Champion R heads

• Thread starter Thread starter JCotton
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
J

JCotton

Just thought I'd post up some info from my first day out with the new combo. Unfotunately I only got in 7 runs, I arrived at the track late, only had about 3.5 hrs to get some tuning in. A few guys have asked about my combo recently, here goes.

S2 oncenter 4.1, with Champion R heads from the latest version, about 2 years old and a "bunch" of passes on them. Heads and motor were freshened up recently after 2 years of, yes, you guessed it, a "bunch" of passes. So we replaced my 4 plus year old hyd. roller cam with a new solid roller cam recommended to me by my engine builder, (RPE in Hartford, Ct.) Yaaaaaa, he's the man!!!! 274" motor, think around 8.75 to 1 comp., BMS crank, BGC intake, ATR headers, modified by me for my brandy new Turbonetics T88 turbo, built by Kathy from T, Yaaaaa, you guessed it, she's the best!!! 3.5 DP, 160lb inj., 3.5 exhaust system and last, but no least, of course, my very own Cotton's performance frt. mnt. IC, the biggest and badest IC available.

Fired her up a few nites ago, everything was pretty normal, couple minor "opps" but overall, 150lbs oil pressure, yep, I know...... we adjusted it, wanted to make sure it was alllll there. Tuned in the base idle, made a couple of spoolups, to be sure, everything looked good. Washed her up, looks great, all one color again, loaded the Pumpkin in the trailer and left for the track. We arrive, go thru the usual warmup the rear end on the "jack", check everything over one more time and head to the staging lanes. I'm my usual calm, cool and terrified, all at the same time, self :cool: Remember now, this is a track rental by a bunch of kids, with everything from F-bodies to BMW's, not too many slick cars so traction was not good. I spool up at the line, all good at this point, let it fly at a conservative 8lb launch, 17lbs down the track, go 20 ft, unload the rt tire and take a sharp right turn. OUCH, no problem, I lift and jerk it back to the left, coast down the track, I gave it a little pop half way down, seems ok. NowI go back check over the air pressures, head back out, same thing, only go about 40 ft before taking the rt turn, back to the pits after once again, giving a little blast half way dwn. Check the springs, shocks, control arms, everythng looks fine, never did this before. ok, number 3 pass, this time, 60ft, tire unloads, rt turn, lift bring it back after gathering my wits, hit it at about the 330 and run 130mph, 12.23. hmmmmmmmmmm, WTF !!!! heading back down the return road, my son stops me, says they saw water come out of the frt rt blinker assembly when I launched......... naaaaa, no way, he says, Yaaaa waaaaayyy. Ok, getback to the pits, sure enough, the lense is full of water!!! I only had one of the lite bulbs pugged in, when he washed the car the nite before, must have filled up the lense, the quarter sized hole allowed enough water to splash out on launch to break the rt tire lose, hence, rt turn!!!!! :o Talk about weird!!!!! empty it out, back to the line, 8lbs launch, 17lbs of boost, 6200 rpm, 9.70@139.... something. Next pass, 10-12lb launch, 20lbs boost, 9.50@145 plus, oh ya, no hook either pass. high 1.40's. Next pass 12lb launch, 7,000rpm in 1st, rev limiter kicked in, forgot to raise it..... 6400 in 3rd, more spin down the track, 9.56@144.99. Hmmmm. ok, one more time, 15lb launch, 21-22 lbs down the track, spin em hard off the line, 1.56 60ft, it takes Fn\off, 7600 in 1st, 7300 in 2nd the 1\8th mile is comin up and I see something in the middle of my lane, WTF... can't drive around it, so I lift coast over it, the runs over!!!! Damn mustang threw a blower belt, about 6 cars before me, the punks in their imports must have drove around it before me, and never said a word to the track officials!! Felt like a good one, get my slip and I run almost 119mph in the 1\8th!! Previous runs were 115 in the 1\8th, 145 in the 1\4. If ya do the math, it should have been somewhere round 149mph!!! On only 21-22lbs of boost,just saw a couple blips of 23lbs in 3rd gear for a moment. To sum it up, the Pumpkin is back and ready to run, not sure how much boost I'll be running, would like to keep it around 24-26, maybe take a peek at around 30, but I think my goal of running low 9's should be easy at a safe boost level with maybe a blast here or there if I'm close to the magic number, don't want to say it though. With some decent hook today, I should have been able to run 9.20-30's.
I have to thank Bobby, Paul, the best bodyman, Kathy and my boys for getting me back out again. Sure feels good..... :cool:

Good to hear you got the car going again:) You going to turn the boost up to 40# and see what breaks;) Just kidding Jack i know you like to run hard but use your head and make your parts last:)
Im sure your car looks as good as it did when a saw it at BG :)
Verry well done and clean:) Rob at RPE seems to be able to keep his Buick motors together:) I was talking to him the other day and he told me a guy came into his shop that races some other kind of car. He told Rob that he thinks he has these GN.s figured out. When he races a GN the louder they are(Piston noise,valve noise ect) the faster they are. In that case my car should be running faster LOL

Awesome Jack!! Glad to see the Pumpkin is back to striking fear into the other racers. I can't wait to see your new combo. When I was at RPE Bobby was saying your new combo is going to fly, he's obviously correct!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys,

Billy, as soon as I sent the post out, I thought to myself, the most important part.......... the dreaded torgue convertor monster!!! I knew I'd forget someone or something, I was beat last nite. You got the number Bill!!!!! That convertor is awsome. Although it doesn't spool quite as good as it did with the ball-bearing 80, it still spools awsome. My new turbo is non BB, 88 with a pretty large AR exhaust housing, 105 I believe. Put it this way, I haven't seen anything out there, spool better. You are the convertor man!!!! Anyone one there with a big turbo doesn't call you for one of these........ they are making a big mistake. Can I be a distributor of these things for you ............... pretty please .............. :cool: Depnding on where I shift at, it pretty much drops to 6250rpm everytime. In fact, if you are around this morning, can you give me a call at the shop, I'll be in there around 8am.
I still don't have an air inlet pipe, I was drawing nothing but hot air into my turbo, have to figure that one out. Any ideas where I can get 5-6" inlet pipe, I can pretty much use a straight piece since I'm using the new AC delete bracket that relocates the alternator where the AC compessor was and eliminates the idler pully. I now have a straight shot into the turbo. My turbo has a 7" inlet bell on it and a 3" outlet.

Hey Jack

Congratulations! Sounds like a few more runs and you will have it down :)

Take Care

Hey Jack,
I agree Bill Anderson has the convertors are down to a science. I was running his 9" and ran my best times. I thought after hearing all this " driving over the convertor stuff" it needed to be just one step tighter. Bill said, " I will get it done but you probably will not like it." I should have listened, I lost 3 tens and 5 MPH. I just shipped it back to have him put it back. It is the 9" and the GN is highway driven, full weight car.
I have also heard great things about his 8" convertor, I would guess that's what you have.
Live and learn.
Most of the time I do it the hard way.

Jack - sounds like the ' great pumpkin ' is an animal ! Too bad no imports were challenging...you coulda' had fwied wice for dinnew.
:D

Congrats Jack!!! Next time have somebody get the passes on video so all of us can see the Pumpkin hauling the mail:D :cool: :)

Art, Rich,

Thanks guys, that sucker feels awsome, can't wait to get down there again. Whats coming up that will give me a good reason to make the drive down? I was just online looking at some BFG drag radials for Da Pumpkin, thinking I'll get a set and make the 3 plus hour drive down. ;) Hey..... Maybe Ron will be there and we can line up again...... I'll give him a jump.

Neil, thanks man, what a differance the solid roller made. I'm ready to Rip now!!

Originally posted by JCotton
Art, Rich,

Thanks guys, that sucker feels awsome, can't wait to get down there again. Whats coming up that will give me a good reason to make the drive down?

>>>> Jack....... no organized Buick event till Buick weekend Labor Day which stinks

Hey..... Maybe Ron will be there.

>>>> I got a better chance of growing hair again then seeing that.

Originally posted by JCotton
Art, Rich,

Thanks guys, that sucker feels awsome, can't wait to get down there again. Whats coming up that will give me a good reason to make the drive down? I was just online looking at some BFG drag radials for Da Pumpkin, thinking I'll get a set and make the 3 plus hour drive down. ;) Hey..... Maybe Ron will be there and we can line up again...... I'll give him a jump.

Neil, thanks man, what a differance the solid roller made. I'm ready to Rip now!!
I think you'll have to give ron a full second, more if the car is on killer. Please, Please, Please come down soon. As Rich said, no Buick events except for Buick weekend. Sucks, no more GN vs. Mustang, which is a shame! Maybe we'll see you at Atco for a Buick event. I'll drive down to see the Great Pumpkin run!

Grow hair Rich, you've got about as much chance as I do! :)

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
I think you'll have to give ron a full second, more if the car is on killer. Please, Please, Please come down soon. As Rich said, no Buick events except for Buick weekend. Sucks, no more GN vs. Mustang, which is a shame! Maybe we'll see you at Atco for a Buick event. I'll drive down to see the Great Pumpkin run!

Grow hair Rich, you've got about as much chance as I do! :)

No GN vs Mustang:( :( :mad:

Jack that is awesome!!!!

Good luck, hopefully nobody will hit the pumpkin this year in the pits.

champion R ? is that like a nascar type head? can mere mortals afford such a thing? and where? plz, :confused:

Back