Greetings, new to the board and would like some opinions and suggestion for my 87 GN

crownvic96

I am the proud owner of a 87 ttop GN. 92k miles. bought it from the original owner.. its my 2nd turbo buick. i had my first one about 8 years ago.

anyhoo i would like to do some modifications to it. i know i know i've searched a bit and i've seen a bunch of stuff but i'd like to get some opinions on what i'd like to do.

I really don't want to modify to much. Its in great condition and i don't want to get too crazy. just a few things to help increase the performance. i'd like yall's opinion on who the best manufacturers/options are for what i'm trying to do. i'm not a cheap a$$ so i don't mind paying for some quality parts.

I want to keep the stock turbo. so i want the parts to bolt up as easily as possible to any stock stuff on the car.

this car is going to be a daily driver. it may see a couple track runs a year.

Exhaust: i'm thinking of an ATR 2.5" SS exhaust

DP-not sure it looks like the 3" Terry Houston with "test pipe" is the way to go, or is the ATR just as good? i want to eliminate the CAT. i'm in alabama so i'm not worried about emissions.

Crossover-ATR? not real sure how important this is or who makes a good unit.

Headers-i've heard ATR's are good, is it necessary for my application?

CAI-i'd like to get a nice cone air intake, ATR seems to make a nice kit with relocation for the charcoal cannister.

Intake Pipes-buickgn.com seems to have some nice metal intake pipes. i dunno how much performance i'd get out of this but id like to get rid of any rubber hoses underhood.

i/c-i guess stock should be ok, was it duttweiler that makes the upgraded neck for these?

Electronics-
scantools-i'd like to get a Scanmaster

chip-i was thinking of an ATR street pitbull. are these still a good chip?

Fuel system-i'd rather not mess with this, but it seems a fuel system upgrade for anything other than stock is a good idea, i've had the walbro 340/wiring kit upgrade recommended. is it necessary or could i get away with no fuel system upgrade.

this is about it for engine related performance. did i miss anything major or is there anything anyone recommends?

Suspension- well i can't stand the stock suspension. anyone make a decent set of poly bushing sets for the front and back?

what about the body-frame bushings?

what about LCA's for the back?

shock recommendations?

rear sway bar-i'm thinking the ATR bar.

Interior-
Gauges. i'll keep it simple, mount scanmaster on the dash, put a 2 5/8" boost gauge on the a-pillar and mount a oil pressure/coolant temp gauge in the console. (put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve also).

that seems to be about it.

i appreciate anyone that takes the time to discuss this with me. and if you have any more questions feel free to post them and i'll answer them asap.
thanks

Justin

youll also want to loose that pitbull chip, way to much timing for pump gas, ask me how i know.:D also ypu can check out pst for poly graphite bushings and some other suspention stuff.

For street use, the ATR rear bar is way too stiff, and not really needed. Better things to spend money on for a basically stock car. UPGRADE THE FUEL SYSTEM. Even with stock turbo, injectors, and chip, the OEM fuel pump will be less than marginal after all these years. Need a new pump, a hot wire kit, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Get a chip from Eric (Turbotweak) or, for less $$, get a Thrasher. Stock headers are fine, unless they are completely unuseable due to cracks. Most likely needs new shocks. KYB is cheaper, Bilstein is better.

Originally posted by turbot2112
youll also want to loose that pitbull chip, way to much timing for pump gas, ask me how i know.:D also ypu can check out pst for poly graphite bushings and some other suspention stuff.

who is pst??

btw thanks to everyone who has posted so far. :)

lots of things and this is just my opinion based on what you stated you want

(1) I want to keep the stock turbo. so i want the parts to bolt up as easily as possible to any stock stuff on the car.
stock turbo is fine as long as its in good shape , plug the breather vent tube
make the wastegate adjustable or get an adjustable one.
should have no problem getting 20-22lbs boost with proper octane in tank also get some good turbo hoses and clamps

(2) this car is going to be a daily driver. it may see a couple track runs a year.
thats okay as long as you learn about knock and O2 and have some monitoring devices (SM+ boost gauge) before going WOT

(3)Exhaust: i'm thinking of an ATR 2.5" SS exhaust
bit costly ,hooker is cheaper but if plans are to keep car for a while or drive alot its a very good choice.

(4) DP-not sure it looks like the 3" Terry Houston with "test pipe" is the way to go, or is the ATR just as good? i want to eliminate the CAT. i'm in alabama so i'm not worried about emissions.
another good choice but depending on how fast you want,not needed but you will feel it

(5)Crossover-ATR? not real sure how important this is or who makes a good unit.
i dont feel its too important for mild car but they arent very expensive

(6)headers-i've heard ATR's are good, is it necessary for my application?
stockers are fine , they all end up cracking so why spend more.

(7)CAI-i'd like to get a nice cone air intake, ATR seems to make a nice kit with relocation for the charcoal cannister.
check out mark hueffmans (buickgn.com) big mouth 4 " CIA

(8) Intake Pipes-buickgn.com seems to have some nice metal intake pipes. i dunno how much performance i'd get out of this but id like to get rid of any rubber hoses underhood.
again mark huefmann

(9)i/c-i guess stock should be ok, was it duttweiler that makes the upgraded neck for these?
duttneck is cheap ($79 kirbans ) but effective DIY mod , there are others that mount in stock location ready to go but prices start at around 550, worth it if you dont plan to with alky injection and plan to go fast

Electronics-
(10)scantools-i'd like to get a Scanmaster
should be one of your first purchases

(11)chip-i was thinking of an ATR street pitbull. are these still a good chip?
atr is bad choice IMO , try turbotweak.com or even a thrasher to start

(12)Fuel system-i'd rather not mess with this, but it seems a fuel system upgrade for anything other than stock is a good idea, i've had the walbro 340/wiring kit upgrade recommended. is it necessary or could i get away with no fuel system upgrade.
yes get yours at racetronix.com and get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and change the filter

(13)this is about it for engine related performance. did i miss anything major or is there anything anyone recommends?
injectors , consider new flowwed 50s or 65s, buy once

(14)Suspension- well i can't stand the stock suspension. anyone make a decent set of poly bushing sets for the front and back?
new bushings (poly or stock)in front end controll arms, the pass rear gets burned up from the stock DP, repair any worn steering parts.

(15)what about the body-frame bushings?
poly kits are available and cheaper than GMs , i went GM

(16)what about LCA's for the back?
energy suspension bushing in the stock arms will be fine

(15)shock recommendations?
4 bilsteins at autozone(advance?) has good price ,special order at store, QAI are theultimate but pricey

(17)rear sway bar-i'm thinking the ATR bar.
not really needed if all other bushings are in good shape

Interior-
(18)Gauges. i'll keep it simple, mount scanmaster on the dash, put a 2 5/8" boost gauge on the a-pillar and mount a oil pressure/coolant temp gauge in the console. (put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve also).
forget the rail gauge ,get a fuel gauge on a hose so you can swing it to the windsheild
2 5/8 is a bit large for the pillar IMO ,would go 2 1/16 or 2 1/8

Here's my take
Keep the old parts so you can return to stock.
Do not put on a lot of parts at once.
Put on one part and make sure everything is working good before going to the next upgrade.
Don't jump in and start buying stuff read and learn first.

This first thing to do is not rag on your car until you read gnttype.org then do the spring cleaning at http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html.

The things to do after spring-cleaning:
Fuel pump upgrade & hot-wired - 150.00
Scantool - 225.00 – Scan Master, Turbo Link, or Direct Scan (Turbo Link & Direct Scan require a computer, Scan Master is self contained)
Adjustable Fuel Pressure gauge that you can read while driving – 75.00
Boost gauge – 50.00
9 in K & N – 45.00
Gutted catalytic convert – free if you can get away with it.
Adjustable waste-gate – DIY or 85.00 new
Thrasher chip for 30. or a custom Turbotweek chip or other chip burner – 75.00

Replace timing chain & vale springs - less than 100.00 if DIY

The above should get you a good running 13 second street car.

To get a 12 second street car:

Stock turbo -no need to upgrade
Stock injectors – no need to change but cleaned – 60.00
Large neck put on stock innercooler - 75.00
Ported elbow on down pipe – DIY or buy for about 40.00
Boxed lower control arms – DIY for about 25.00 or buy for about 85.00
ATR sway bar (could get by without) - 180.00
Nitto DR - 300.00
Alky injection - 450.00

I would not get headers or a crossover - the stock units are fine until you are really fast - 10 seconds or better. Just get the stock header cracks repaired since they are cracked.
You need to upgrade the fuel system with a hotwired FP and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
HR Parts N Stuff makes a lot of suspension parts for our cars.

Sounds like you want to do about the same that I have done. See webpage in signature.

As already suggested, do the spring cleaning and don't forget the transmission, may want to add a shift kit while you're in there.

Welcome back to the dark side.:cool:

thanks for the help so far, i've lots of various parts on order right now but i have a couple more questions about what to buy.

adj fuel pressure regulator-any brands better than another. what are the general recommendations?

adj wastegate-is this necessary, i dunno how much i'll fiddle with the boost, if its recommended, are there any to hook up to a stock turbo or should i just get a bleeder type or systme or like an HKS EVC or something?

I got mine through Kirban, I think most of them are the same, don't have any experience with the other types of bleeders or in- car adjustable systems, which are more expensive. I don't fiddle with mine much either, but it is a nice option. I actually had to turn my boost down a couple of pounds because after the 2.5 in. exhaust and big mouth cold air intake I was over-boosting:)

adj FPR , most modern chips will require a base increase in fuel pressure , right now agrressive has a sale on the billet adj fpr,(mention sale post on the boards ),

adj wastegate ,
its good if you decide to run at the track
add octane, add some fuel pressure , add a chip for the octane ,add some boost . get traction ,GO FAST

make your own cheap ,
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/Adj_wastegate.JPG

or buy one , most of the venders carry them .

unless you plan to run above 22lbs you wont need the HD wastegate .

Hey man, Welcome to the board!

Where in huntsville are you?

I'm in huntsville all the time but I live over here in Athens, with my blown headgasket:D ( going on the 2'nd week)

Once I get the engine back together we should meet up, and maybe make a few "Test runs" at the track...you know, just to see what she'll do! ;)

See ya!

i live in sw hsv. i may try and go to tnt at the track this sunday. not sure if i'll have all my spring cleaning done in time though.

Well I will not be able to make it with my car this weekend as I am waiting for a headbolt from ARP. They said it should be here tuesday, so next weekend I will be ready to go.