You can type here any text you want

Gremlin still kicking my a$$

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
no but I am.....I wish I had one or could afford to buy one right now it would be much easier to figure this out

no but I am.....I wish I had one or could afford to buy one right now it would be much easier to figure this out

It certainly would!! It helped me nail down a similar issue on my Son-In-Law's LC2 powered Mazda. Well, actually it was Direct Scan, but the data used to troubleshoot was the same.

We spent..

a couple hours on the "what if" scenarios.. No luck in determining the problem.
We found:
TPS low, and when resetting it, found a consistent voltage drop out at/near 4.0v.
When @ WOT, 1 pass, the entire electrical system blacked out, SM went off.
I tested 2 modules and coil packs.. Think there's a problem w/ the tester.
Both paks show that:
The same 4 cyls are out at idle, and again at mid speed. [Orig pak and type 2].
[I think this is a problem... As I do not believe in coincidence.;)]

Also, the ecm is so hot you don't want to hold it very long!:eek: Bad connection, shorts, etc,?? NE 1 have some clues?? Modified for 55# injs.
Did not pull the fuseable links out. They could well be fubar.

IMO, it's going to take some data recording equipt to find this one!

Fun filled day! LOL!

Blacking out on wot sounds like the infamous positive cable on the headers. No?

Time to go over the electrical system. :(

Fun filled day! LOL!

Blacking out on wot sounds like the infamous positive cable on the headers. No?

Time to go over the electrical system. :(

That's about the only thing that can black out the entire electrical syste. That or a loose connection at the starter.

As for the HOT ecm, that seems to be something I've been noticing on "modified" ecm's.

Yep..

That's about the only thing that can black out the entire electrical syste. That or a loose connection at the starter.

As for the HOT ecm, that seems to be something I've been noticing on "modified" ecm's.

I've suggested an inspection and replacement of the fuse links. [Casper's kit.]
Checking motor mounts. [They are china stockers]. Could be "sumptin Wong??:D

3 items I neglected to mention:
1.The fuel system has dual R/A pumps on a Hobbs.. Set at 10#. Appears to be working. So, to "eliminate" a lean problem, we set the translator to full rich..O2 bounced around 6-700, w/ 1 occasion at 810. Still shut down.
2. When we saw the SM go to all ----, and the shut down occurred, we turned on the radio, and set it to full volume. We did this to see if the loss of power was thruout the entire elec system. The radio kept going...
3. The alt has a volt booster on it...Good, bad, ugly???

I knew this was a good one for sure.....thanks for the trouble shooting Chuck! I did pull out the positive bat cable and there was a spot where it got hot you can see where the plastic coating melted but no bare wire showing. I think I will replace it anyway but doubt that is it. I also looked over the connections at the starter and my fusible links but did not get into them to see if they are toast. I am going to get the car on my uncle's lift and get into them in the next weekend or so.

If that does not do the trick I am gonna save a few bucks and get a power logger.....this may be the only way to find this bastard gremlin:mad:

[.

If that does not do the trick I am gonna save a few bucks and get a power logger.....this may be the only way to find this bastard gremlin:mad:[/QUOTE] Even if it does do the trick, continue saving anyway, it's only a matter of time until a powerlogger is a necessity.

Get rid of that damn volt booster. :mad:

hey Dave I will definitely remove it and drive the car but this is the first time I have heard this suggestion. please explain the reasoning or experiences people have had with the boosters. The one on my car has been there for 9-10 years and never once thought it could be an issue.

fill me in please:confused:

Amelio..

hey Dave I will definitely remove it and drive the car but this is the first time I have heard this suggestion. please explain the reasoning or experiences people have had with the boosters. The one on my car has been there for 9-10 years and never once thought it could be an issue.

fill me in please:confused:

I guess you didn't notice the look on my face, when you mentioned the VB! ....:D:D

ECM getting too hot issue... Too high impendance?? ECM not modified correctly? Just a thought... When one mismatches amp and speakers in a sound system, amp or speakers get too hot and eventually fail when too much power is drawn/ran through them. Amps have a surge protection switch to protect them. Usually, you reset it and life goes on. Maybe the computer is protecting itself when you run it up top by cutting out the juice?
Have you tried different impendance injectors or different ECM?

I guess you didn't notice the look on my face, when you mentioned the VB! ....:D:D

yeah I did catch that but I have not heard of issues with these things....I was going to unhook it today but could not find the factory alternator plug:mad:

ECM getting too hot issue... Too high impendance?? ECM not modified correctly? Just a thought... When one mismatches amp and speakers in a sound system, amp or speakers get too hot and eventually fail when too much power is drawn/ran through them. Amps have a surge protection switch to protect them. Usually, you reset it and life goes on. Maybe the computer is protecting itself when you run it up top by cutting out the juice?
Have you tried different impendance injectors or different ECM?

that could be a place to look but no I do not have extra injectors to try...I do have an extra ecm (stock unit) but it will not work with my injectors

I think I had 2 different problems.

when just cruising around the car would miss......chuck you heard that in between pulls......I tore into the wiring harness today. I could not find a smoking gun anywhere. Then I rememberd that when I put this car together 7 years ago it not start due to a security system from the previous owner. I pulled that system out and had to do a lot of splicing under the dash.

Anyway I went to look there since I think I have an ignition issue.....when I touched the large purple 12gauge ignition wire one end came ouit......I thought ok here is the problem. I made a new good connection and go drive.....the first 3 pulls were great! no popping spiting or anything 15psi it pulled hard. then the 4th pull same crap and progressive;y got worse....like a light swith every time it hits 15psi boom it's done. But I did notice that the missing while cruising at light throttle was gone.

This is why I think I had 2 problems..... now one is fixed I still have the big problem.

Any chance this could be a weird turbo problem....I mean it is a guaranteed fail as soon as it hit 15psi???????????????????

got some Buick parts to sale to hopefully get a power logger....this thing is wearing me out:frown:

".when I touched the large purple 12gauge ignition wire one end came ouit......I thought ok "

Likely why we were seeing the SM go blank..
I think there's still an electrical problem..A turbo would not cause such an abrupt stutter, miss, jerk...
Keep after the wiring!

I found the problem!!!!!!!!!!

Well I was tearing into all the wires under the dash to see if I could find a problem< i did find that I had a crappy connection to the power supply for my scan master which is why Chuck and I saw it blank out. This was an issue but not "the" issue. I fixed that and continued to look and drive the car in between to see if I made a change> my last time out I was so frustrated I decided to put it back in the garage and leave it alone until I can afford a powerlogger.

I had my ecm on the floor cause I was looking for wire issues. I decided to put the old chip I had in it to say that I tried every possibility. Well what do you know 17psi and pulling like a beyatch! I did this 3-4 more times to see if it was a fluke and it never missed a beat. Then I pulled over to give it a little more boost to really be sure....it made 19psi but had some nasty kr so I lifted real quick but no stumble or cutting out. The old chip was real aggressive on the timing and it is really freaking hot out which is why I saw so much kr.

Anyway I will be calling Eric tomorrow to send him the chip and see if he can determine what went wrong:confused:

Well it is kinda fixed the chip that is in there will work for the mean time until Eric can fix the other chip......this thing really kicked my a$$ but I think I have won. I will really feel confident when Eric tells me he found a problem with the chip.

Great! It was an electric issue! just happened to be the chip...Glad you found it!
Now, while U R waiting for the chip back from Eric, U can finish the rest of the wiring cleanup....

Did you ever try removing the TT chip and reinstalling it, to see if it had become unseated in the socket somehow?

Back