You can type here any text you want

Gremlin still kicking my a$$

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Great! It was an electric issue! just happened to be the chip...Glad you found it!
Now, while U R waiting for the chip back from Eric, U can finish the rest of the wiring cleanup....

no doubt Chuck! I drove it to the store and got zip ties heat shrink and electrical tape. I am not doing it today because I am wore out with it at the moment and to really clean up all the wires it is gonna take a weekend :cool:

Did you ever try removing the TT chip and reinstalling it, to see if it had become unseated in the socket somehow?

yes that was actually the first place I went to a few months back when this problem started. I had pulled the ecm and inspected it and the chip thinking that was it. Since the chip was new and I just ran it at the track with that chip and made the best pass the car has yet to do I never once considered it to be the chip. I am really curious to know what went wrong with it?

well I currently posted on another thread going right now, sounds like another member is having my same issue. I posted in the thread "is my turbo stalling"

Well Chuck I still dont know????? I sent the chip back to Eric a few weeks ago, he tried it in his car and said it ran fine. It also ran fine in my car unless you got into the boost as you saw when we were messing with it. At first it only went into condition at 15psi but the more you tried to diagnose it the worse it got and did not recover. Eric never said that he found a problem but he burned me a new chip and I put it in a few weeks ago.

It seemed to run good and no break up at 15psi but I did notice like the car missed a step or two. It ran good but not like it should....I got a pretty good butt dyno and I was sensing an issue but I just wrote it off to the 97 degree weather. Anyway this past weekend I was out tooling around with some friends on bikes and one with a TT Supra. We came to a red light me in the center lane and a bike on either side of me. when it hit green we all went......I pulled hard away for the half of first then it just layed over like some one hit the off button.....no spit , pop or anything no kr. I was then on the highway and hit it from a 45mph roll and it pulled great.....got to the next stop and same thing fell flat on its face....the more I drove the worse it got.

Yesterday I was coming home and it would spit ,pop, and just lay over....I pulled off the side of the road and put my old chip back in it....drove a few easy miles then went wot. No problem and it was really pulling hard like it should. I did 4-5 more wot blasts and it had no issues. I have been driving the car today and beating on it a little cause it is sooooo much fun when it is running right.

I have not contacted Eric back to get his opinion but all I know is the car does not like the TT chip for some reason. What really throws me is the car ran real good at the track with the TT chip and then after that it went down hill. I am lost with it at the moment...if I had the cash the car would get an XFI system and Id be done with it:cool:

kinda off subject, but with a 1.60 60' and 25lbs you'll be all over the 10s

yeah I really did not get to do much tuning that day, I only got to make 3 passes. The first pass was a 12.0 @110 then I pulled out some fuel and gave it 2 degrees and ran 11.74 @116 next pass I just gave it another 2 degrees and ran 11.54 @116 this was pretty much at 19psi and bumpin 20psi at the 1000 foot mark. I think with a little more tweaking I could get it in the 11.20 with a solid 20psi or so all the way down.

I agree after seeing what it did with a little tuning I think a solid launch more tuning and 25psi it should run in the 10.80 range:biggrin:

Have you tried adjusting the settings in the chip since your car is so modded it might need to be tweaked to fit your combo...

Were you running more booost at the track than you do on the street?

It might be you need to reduce WOT fuel in the chip for street use.

Also, sometimes playing with the WOT knob in the Translator can change how the fuel "ramps" in with boost. Full boost fuel will be the same with my chip, but how fast the fuel comes in will change.

That's the only thing I can think of that would affect this between the 2 chips, WOT fuel. Without data, it's hard to diagnose. So you'll probably have to do some playing around with WOT fuel.

Time for the..

Also, sometimes playing with the WOT knob in the Translator can change how the fuel "ramps" in with boost. Full boost fuel will be the same with my chip, but how fast the fuel comes in will change.

That's the only thing I can think of that would affect this between the 2 chips, WOT fuel. Without data, it's hard to diagnose. So you'll probably have to do some playing around with WOT fuel.

Pl to be installed!!:D

I know the TPS sensor was already mentioned....but it sounds like a bad sensor to me. When mine had a dead spot, the up pipe blew off and damaged my new Buick GN silk screened insulation pad:eek: I think if you replace your sensor all will be fixed and you will be a happy camper. The sensor must be under a load when it malfunctions. Testing it with the engine off won't diagnose the problem.

Have you tried adjusting the settings in the chip since your car is so modded it might need to be tweaked to fit your combo...

yes I have leaving the settings at base and adding fuel....this does not seem to make a difference.

hey Eric....to answer your questions When i first purchased your chip in November or December of last year the only thing I had to do was increase my fueling. This was due to the cold temps and the car was leaning out. When I went to the track in April it was pretty warm out high 70's low 80's. I had not touched anything as far as tuning on the street, the car ran great during the winter except for real bad tire spin which made it hard to tune I basically added fuel until my mv's looked good and no kr. Well when I did do to the track the first pass out was a 12.0 @110 and it was real fat so I pulled out some fuel and it immediately dropped to a 11.74 then a few degrees of timing to a 11.54 So my thinking was since it warmed back up I needed to lean it out.

As far as the translator I set it to your requirements last year when I installed the chip and have not touched it since. I know I really need to log files to help diagnose this issue and I have plans to get one soon....the only thing that throws me is I have changed nothing to the car since being at the track with the exception of replacing my fuel lines due to a break in the return. I have not changed any settings on any sensors just verified. The only thing is I have recently lost my vss....I dont know how or if this would affect the tune with your chip????? Other than that the only thing is swapping between both chips:confused:

I know the TPS sensor was already mentioned....but it sounds like a bad sensor to me. When mine had a dead spot, the up pipe blew off and damaged my new Buick GN silk screened insulation pad:eek: I think if you replace your sensor all will be fixed and you will be a happy camper. The sensor must be under a load when it malfunctions. Testing it with the engine off won't diagnose the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion....yeah it does seem to have a dead spot right at the 4.0-4.19 volt range the only reason I have not replaced it is because I do not have any problems with the car with the old chip?????????? I will most likely go ahead and replace it anyway since I know it does have a flat spot in it......It may be that the TPS flat spot affects the TT chip when the old chip does not. I don't know if that is possible but one thing I have learned about these cars is that they never stop amazing me with weird sh@t

new findings and user error.....

well I spent most of the day checking and rechecking my settings for TPS, IAC etc........ could not find anything and I have been beating myself up as to why the TT chip worked great one minute then have issues the next....... well I had to go back to April because the spans of time for trying to diagnose are huge. Anyway when I first installed the chip it was November...COLD....I had to add fuel to get the kr out.....then went to the track in Arpil much warmer in the 80's.......wait wait I am getting to the fix and a lot of you guys are gone be "I told you so" :biggrin: Anyway now the bulk of the issues recently have been in the high 90's .

I started to think what was the major difference between the base settings on the TT chip and the old chip. The old chip was made on a dyno with a fairly aggressive tune....aggressive timing and "LEAN".... the light bulb went on!!!!!

I put the TT chip back in and removed 10.2% fuel...boom the car ran out like it should and pulled crazy hard. I pulled out a few more percent and got a few degrees of kr. I put the 2% back in and no kr. I then proceeded to beat on the car a bit because it was pulling so hard! Then I set the fueling back to the base settings and the spitting bucking and laying over came back.....yes yes it was fat.

basically this could have been found a long time ago with a logger:wink: needless to say I am putting a few bucks away to get one very soon. The car pulls crazy hard in 1st and then in the mid to top of second it started to go flat....no kr, Fuel pressure good boost stayed steady but just flat then it recovered. I am not gonna bother trying to even figure that out until I can get a Power logger.

So in short I just wanted to be clear that Eric's chip is fine and the problem is in the tune or basically my error:redface: As soon as I get a PL I will be posting the files so you guys can help me find that flat spot! Thank you everyone for the help this far!

Glad you got somewhere with it!
It's funny, some cars will just blow black smoke and keep on going when they're too rich. Other cars will die completely.

Let me know if you need anything.

Eric

Amelio, pull the DP off, and bring it over. We'll weld in a sensor bung for a wb.

I saw your other post but hadn't seen any new details here so just wanted to make sure you were good, and it sounds like you are pretty close with a clear path to finishing the tune. Eric hasn't responded but I have seen him post elsewhere that his chips use the vss and not the gear switches to know what gear you are in, to know when to pull timing and/or adjust fuel, so I'd work on fixing that as well as getting a pl.

Amelio, pull the DP off, and bring it over. We'll weld in a sensor bung for a wb.

ok Chuck sounds good I am going out of town next week but when I get back I plan on buying a PL and I will also grab a wide band.

Thanks for all the help!

I saw your other post but hadn't seen any new details here so just wanted to make sure you were good, and it sounds like you are pretty close with a clear path to finishing the tune. Eric hasn't responded but I have seen him post elsewhere that his chips use the vss and not the gear switches to know what gear you are in, to know when to pull timing and/or adjust fuel, so I'd work on fixing that as well as getting a pl.

yeah I pulled the speedo adapter out last night and it looks like the plastic gear is worn a little....I believe this is the VSS issue just need to find a replacement gear.

Eric and all you guys have been very helpful I can not thank you enough. I think as soon as I get a PL and a wide band the car will be spot on and then I can focus on getting all the little things the car needs taken care of!

Thanks again everyone I will post later once I get the tune better dialed in:cool:

Back