GSP PIT Kills 2...thoughts?

Originally posted by BlownZ
Listen you can woulda coulda shoulda all day long but the facts are the facts. If she had stopped...it wouldn't have happened.
----- response to above -----
blown z , i know what you mean, but why do you refuse to see that there were other options that could have been taken, this thing went on for 60 MILES the police who originaly started the chase did'nt perform the pit manuver, they knew what could happen their commanding officers did'nt give that order they showed restrain and common sence, and as far as should/could a/ and all these little scenarios, that really don't mean a dam (we could do that all day) and are you aware that the girls father was a retired police officer, do you think he's just going to take a police dept. word of there was nothing else we could do, $hit please, i would have a field day in court with that police officer,
to answer your question, yes she should have stopped, but she did'nt, they had a scared 16 yr old girl in trouble and their solution was a pit manuver at 100 mph so you mean to tell me that for 60 miles the police had no plan of action ? no spike strips, no shooting out the tires, no way of forming a rolling road block?
i tell you this i'm not a lawyer yet but a case like this a good lawyer can use all of what i just said and the police dept, own pursuit policy against them, 60 miles gives you plenty of time to come up with a plan of action. who ever gave the order to apply the pit manuver will be in hot water.

This tragedy was not created by the Police department.

really, that suv sure as hell did'nt flip by itself.
in a case like this remember before the use of deadly force is used all other options must be depleted, ( and please don't start any other scenarios) that my friend did not happen here.
this is not the first time this happens in georgia
There's--city of pooler vs edenfield, NO# a03a1538,587 se 2d 408
(ga app.2003) smae incident high speed pit appied resulting in death.. quote: " there's something very wrong when the police reponse to a crime poses a greater threat to public safty than the crime itself". Senator Sam Anestad a police officer must question whhether the seriousness of the crime justifies continuing the pursuit, the immediate apprehension of the violater is never more important than the safty of innocent persons or the officer himself, when it becomes clear that the immediacy of apprehensin is outweighed by a clear and present danger to the officer and the others the pursuit must be abandoned

in peach tree city, georgia it took only one fatality for police cheif
Jim Murray to say and i quote:" there has to be a different way"
he went on to say how officers must know it's not a matter if i want to , it is a fact i have to.

another thing is it worth the lives and safty of our citizens to chase traffic offenders? i'm sorry but every law inforcement ceo should put the safty of his community above the need to lock someone up.

goodnight it's 5am

Hi folks,

Well, Who knows what she was thinking as to why they were stopping her, but the dude said all she had was a suspended license.

Just pull over, I don't like to see anyone die for any reason. She made the decision to keep going at that speed and the police have to do thier job, which is to serve and protect. Should the copper had waited until speeds were slower? I don't know, I am sure there will be lawsuits and the like. I'd like to keep tabs on this situation, maybe a board member can keep us updated.

Originally posted by no-nos

another thing is it worth the lives and safty of our citizens to chase traffic offenders? i'm sorry but every law inforcement ceo should put the safty of his community above the need to lock someone up.

goodnight it's 5am

Good grief.

If you let traffic offenders run amuck then you will soon have joy riders cruising the highway at 100+ all of the time. Then their will be real tragedy.

It is so easy to sit here in hindsight and criticize everything an officer does. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I for one would be much more upset, furious even if this chase went on for 60-70 miles and ended with the SUV crashing into a building, school, mini-van what have you and killing someone innocent.

Don't chase traffic offenders....that sounds like a great idea on the surface but when you realize what would be going on once kids knew they weren't going to be chased down...it would be utter and complete chaos.

Pick them up later...I know that is the first thing out of your keyboard....how...if you can't ID the driver then you can't pick someone else up later so that is a moot argument.

I'm done arguing. It screws with my head that people can look at this incident and not place the blame squarely on where it lies..and that is the driver of that SUV.

If you don't see that then you are likely the type of person who could empathize with a criminal who breaks into a home and gets shot and killed by the home owner. The poor criminal....he just wanted a TV...why'd you have to kill him for a TV. That should be illegal....forgetting the fact that if the idiot had never broken in in the first place...he wouldn't be dead. Same thing here...if she hadn't of run...she wouldn't be dead.

BlownZ, the people today have a hard time making tough decisions. It is just like zero tolerance at schools. It takes complete responsibility off the school. People today make decisions based on how it makes them feel. You can take reason and judgment and throw it right out of the window. Just think if those two girls were the ones who stabbed the grandparents to death. No one would be crying about them because it would make them feel good. Everything today, including legislation, is based on how it makes people feel. They forget that those girls running from the police endangered thousands of families and individuals.

These same people whining about this are the same people who will spend 10K on a dog or cat at the vet to have some operation when the humane thing is to put the pet down, out of its painful misery. They just cannot make tough decisions at any cost.

...should put the safety of his community above the need to lock someone up.

Yet another oxymoron...Why do you think we LOCK people up??

And if anyone can show me some evidence that a f**king vehicle going 100 mph anywhere but a racetrack is "safe for the community", I'll eat your goddamn socks.

Maybe some of you didn't read (or chose not to believe) my last post. So I'll repeat... My aunt Donna and 5 of her co-workers are DEAD because the driver of a 100 mph vehicle that wasn't under chase LOST CONTROL (there's a clue in those two words as to WHY you don't allow people to drive 100 mph on the freeway), crossed the median and hit their vehicle head-on, while airborne. I'm sure all 6 of them will be glad to know their community was a safer place because the son of a bitch who killed them wasn't cruelly forced to stop by the cops.

I think I'm done.