GT 3255 or Alky on a stock turbo

rangerjimbo

Since I am not getting much interest on my GN that is for sale, I am considering what is a better way to go in the future. If I was running stock unopened block, RJC plate, upgraded fuel pump and hot wire, turbo tweak chip (street or Alky depending on set up) 3in TH DP, 3" exhaust with test pipe, and a scan master 2.1. What would be a better way to go for a streetcar installing a GT 3255 running about 17 pounds of boost, or Alky and running 20-23#. I am not so much worried about 1/4 times as much as I am stomping moderately built Stangs, and the occasional rice burner with many mods, on the road. I know the GT 3255 and Alky would be the pref, but if I could only get either, what are the recommendations? Thanks.

Regardless of which turbo you use, you can still only run maybe 17psi boost on pump gas.

With Alky injection... you can run 27psi+. :D

Knowing what I now know... Alky injection should have been one of the FIRST things I installed on my car. Not the last.

Oh, I forgot to say I am planning on 009 injectors, would they be suitable for an Alky setup. I am not real smart on the whole alky thing. That's what makes me apprehensive. Is it real reliable, and is running that kind of boost make it difficult to tune, without taking it to an expert. I am not aware any people that are real sharp on Turbo Regals where I live.

Although the injectors are not a bad idea, you won't need them with the stock turbo and alky. The alky kit will provide the additional fuel. My old car ran consistant 12.4s through the quarter with the stock turbo, stock injectors and alky, with room to spare.

you can probably save a few bux. Buy a set of 50 lb MSD's, a TT alky chip and a used SMC Alky kit. I run 24lbs of boost on 91 octane on the street. Not worried about fuel delivery or knock...;)

all agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent street turbo, but do alky first, more bang for the buck at this point

I bought a used TA-49 and spent $500 on it, and hardly gained anything because I'm still stuck at 17 psi. If I was to do it again, I'd have bought the alky first and cranked up the stock turbo :D. But I now have an alky kit sitting in the basement waiting for warmer weather, so I'm sure the TA-49 will make a difference soon :D

Only problem with the stock turbo is that it spools fast!!!! It does make for a fun ride though. Anything under 45mph and my car would light up the tires as soon as I hit the go peddle with alky and the stock turbo. Had to run drag radials full time just to keep the car from swapping ends.