gt equivilent to 45a

chevyII

I am in the process of a build my first 3.8 and turbo engine. I am prety sure if the parts were purchased today it would be a te45a and 72's. I wont need the top end parts till next year will there be a GT series that is close to the 45a or pt54?

I just purchased the PT-61 (not a typo, a GT)a few weeks ago.
According to PTE`s info, (if I recall correctly) the PT-61 is very close in performance to a TE-45a. I have used both now. The 61 spools so fast it`s silly. Mine has a .85 housing, and I am shocked at how fast it comes up on boost. It hits so hard on the bottom end I think need to go back to 28`s from the 26in tires I am using now. I believe Patrick told me it will support 690hp. But, with the cover up grade, it will flow about 10% more.
I highly recommend this turbo for a 90% street car like I have.
Thanks for listening...
Brian

HO, HO, HO...MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

And the "true" (complete) Garrett GT turbos will reportedly (possibly) be available around Christmas2003/New Years 2004.

Until then, the current so-called "GTs" from Buick vendors are hybrids of the old/new Garrett pieces.

(Example: the PT-61 is not/can not be accurately labeled a "GT" just because it has a GT wheel.)

These currently available "in-between" turbos have gotten several good reviews from those using them.

HTH :)

Brian, how much boost and timing are you running with the 61, and what stall. Thinking strongly about this turbo myself.......

gt61

dito what stall? have heard the 45a needs a 3500or 3600? brian how does it feel compared to the 45a? I am starting from scratch as far as drivetrain. what effect does a 4 bolt housing have compared to a 3 bolt?

I have a TE45a from John Craig on my car and it spools just as fast as any of the smaller turbos as long as you have the correct convertor for it. I personally am using a 9x11 from PTS.
Many guys dont realize that convertor stall and chip calibration are key elements to getting a larger turbo to spool.
My TE45a has more top end than my buddies 61 and the spool up feels about the same. You will pay more for a TE45a since it is a large shaft model (as all 63's on up are).
The TE45a is probably the largest turbo you can use and still have some streetability (read as spool up) on the street.
I happen to know someone selling their TE45a for a very reasonable price since their car is more race only now.

To respond on the questions...
My timing is at 23/21 setting on my T+. Or set up for 98 octane.
boost levels have been steady at 22-22.5psi. I have a PTS 9/11 that stalls at 3400. Which I believe a "tight" 3200 might be perfect. You do not need as much stall speed with this turbo.
I am not sure how a 4 bolt would affect this. Compared to the 45a(@24psi) and the PT-61(@22.5psi), I have lost 1.5 mph. Sounds like a good trade to me. I think I`ll find that 1.5 as boost gets higher. :)
I purchased it through PTE.
Thanks,
Brian

I thought that the PT-67 was the equivalent of the TE45a. At least as far as wheel size and trim. It would be more efficient and thus effectively bigger (more flow and HP potential), but the same "size".

Tom

How can a pt 61 wit a 60-1 compressor wheel equal the te-45a with a 66 mm compressor wheel. Thats absurd.:rolleyes:

If anything the 61 is closer to a pt-54 who ever told you that the 61 puts out as much as a te45a was mistaken. If you dont choose to believe me here's link to gnttype.org showing the compressor wheels size. http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turbowheels.html

gndriver, not sure who you are flaming, but I wrote PT-67.

I believe that the PT-61 is closer to the PTE-52. The smallest of the PT-67s has the same 69 trim turbine as the PTE-54. With the P trim it becomes comparable to the TE-45a. A GT Q trim is also available.

Tom

Sorry if I sounded like I was flaming, That was not my intention. The reason I came off like that is because of the info posted that a pt-61 can flow close to a te45a. I had both of them so this I know is not the case. The TE45A outflowed the Pt-61 by a susbstantial margin. Nowhere near close was the pt-61, however the pt-61 did flow close to a pt-52.

I believe brian was referring to the PT61 which has the "new" GT 61 compressor wheel which will slowly replace the older 60-1 compressor. If you check a thread in this section from Carl Ijames it gives more info than what I can give you.

Anyways, brian seems to indicate above that he has used both the TE45A and now a PT61 (not a te61) and at the moment the butt dyno and his MPH says they feel similar. Only timeslips could really say that accurately though.

I have not tried either turbo so I am just clearing up something you guys may have missed in his posts.

C&CGN is correct. I am not speaking of a TE-61, or PT-54. Read Carl Ijames(my apologies if I butchered the name) post in this section. It was very informative.

I thought that I made it clear that my comparison was based on wheel sizes. I still contend that the PT67 is closer to the TE45a.

Maybe that .85 housing is skewing the ole butt dyno and mph numbers. It certainly should close the gap. It also does not look like Brian was maxing out the TE45a. At 16 psi my TA-49 probably feels like a TE45a! How does the PT61 compare to the TE45a at 30 psi or more accurately, at the upper limits of the TE45a's capacity?

Tom

Originally posted by tminer
I thought that I made it clear that my comparison was based on wheel sizes. I still contend that the PT67 is closer to the TE45a. Tom

I have been advised that PTE 64E has a 66 compressor wheel, and is pretty close to Craig's 45a. I would hope that either Joe or John could add some insight here.