You can type here any text you want

Gta Steering Box

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

incharge

I want to know if any body is using a GTA box ,The ratio is definetly tighter 1 1/8 turns lock to lock and my GN is 1 1/2 turns so it is going to make a difference ,I know there is not much good info. out there about this subject and most was not correct, let me know what you think... :cool:

incharge said:
I want to know if any body is using a GTA box ,The ratio is definetly tighter 1 1/8 turns lock to lock and my GN is 1 1/2 turns so it is going to make a difference ,I know there is not much good info. out there about this subject and most was not correct, let me know what you think... :cool:

The ratio in the box is the same. You will loose turn radius. There is no gain from this.

I took a GTA/WS6 box once and put it into an '84 Oldsmobile B-body (full size Custom Cruiser wagon)

Made the steering MUCH nicer, but boy did I lose turning radius!

57loboy said:
I took a GTA/WS6 box once and put it into an '84 Oldsmobile B-body (full size Custom Cruiser wagon)
Made the steering MUCH nicer, but boy did I lose turning radius!
---------------------------
57loboy: you're as bad as I am. I had a TransAm/WS6 steering box from I don't remember what year installed in maybe a '77 Olds Cutlass, and it was a big improvement in road feel, somewhat improvement in handling, but I really don't remember or have forgotten about the steering radius.

The inter-changability of GM cars makes it fun to do that sort of thing -

My 84 Custom Cruiser ended up with the WS6 steering box, mid/late-70s style Olds factory sport steering wheel (like the '77 Delta 88 Pace Car), a Caprice 9C1 police package front sway bar with poly bushings because it was thicker than the wagon bar, and the Caprice 9C1 rear sway bar too, all with KYB shocks all the way around. I kept whitewalls on it but upgraded to 70-series tires - there wasn't much at that time that would out-handle it and it surprised many a car on the twisties here in CT!

I had done something something similar to a '79 Delta 88 2-door in high school, then I found Turbo Regals during college....'nuff said...

The WS6/GTA gearbox is the same as the FE3 gearbox on a G-body. If you think it feels tighter than maybe the old box was worn or just needed a tweak. The internal stops is what controls the radius. Two basic stops more or less. One is G-body/79-85 E body/3rd gen F-body/S-10 truck. The other fits B/C/D-body.This is the one that works on the old A-body and 2nd gen F-body. Its the steering arm and pitman arm length that makes the real difference though.

Edit: Dont forget the stops on the lower control arms are different between the F-body and G-body. Probally why there was a difference between the 2 cars.

Back