GTO couldn't pull on a 300C

tracy

While on my way home from a softball game in my neighbor's new GTO we were following a new 300C.

We pull alongside and catch the 300 at a light. I tell my neighbor that the 300 has the Hemi and he scoffs. He gives the guy a couple revs. No counter reving from the 300.

Light goes green my neighbor hits it and to his surprise so does the 300. We ran up to about 65-70 and the GTO could not put any distance on the 300. It ran stride for stride with the GTO Needless to say my neighbor was very upset and dissapointed.

Not bad for a 4,100 lb luxury car!

lol...two new GTO kills in two days... :D
IMO the new 300C's are nice lookin cars and I wouldnt mind gettin one myself. But the problem is that in another month or two every driveway's gonna have one in it. And i dont like having something that everyone else has....hence the TR...;)

Out of curiosity I looked at the power output on the 300. It makes quite a bit more torque than the LS motors. Than can only be a good thing. I've also heard that the Hemi's hp is a little underrated.

The Hemi 300's are all over in this area. No GTO's tho.. They are all sitting on the dealers lot unsold..

The wife's next car may be a 300. After seeing the GTO's up close and run at the track, I would never consider such an ugly plane jane car with moderate performance.

I didn't know a 300 could pull a GTO? dang they have the same displacement and same horsepower ratings...the 300 weighs way more too? that doesn't make sense...that GTO should be smoking that 300:confused:

Originally posted by NEARING
How much hp does the 300 have?

I just seen on Car and Driver TV today ratings of 340 H.P. and 390 ft/lb of torque. Sounds pretty good to me.

wow, battle of the mid 14 sec detroit irons. just like the old days. i'll take either one.

Originally posted by tracy
While on my way home from a softball game in my neighbor's new GTO we were following a new 300C.

We pull alongside and catch the 300 at a light. I tell my neighbor that the 300 has the Hemi and he scoffs. He gives the guy a couple revs. No counter reving from the 300.

Light goes green my neighbor hits it and to his surprise so does the 300. We ran up to about 65-70 and the GTO could not put any distance on the 300. It ran stride for stride with the GTO Needless to say my neighbor was very upset and dissapointed.

Not bad for a 4,100 lb luxury car!

I would probably tell him to toss the skinny rear tires and put on some wide DRs and then learn how to drive the car. I have been drag racing for many years and have learned that the car is only as fast as the driver. Hp rarely makes up for lack of skill.

Re: Re: GTO couldn't pull on a 300C

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I would probably tell him to toss the skinny rear tires and put on some wide DRs and then learn how to drive the car. I have been drag racing for many years and have learned that the car is only as fast as the driver. Hp rarely makes up for lack of skill.

Well that's not really what owners of either of these cars are going to do though is it? Who drops 35 - 40 k on a quasi performance car and then puts slicks on it?

Interestingly enough I looked at the recorded 0-60 times for both cars and they are both low 5 second 0-60 performers - guess that explains that. These cars are evenly matched so it seems and I was really impressed with the 300's performance. The other interesting thing I find is that so many Chrysler haters refuse to give credit where it is due and insist it was driver related. Quite frankly I don't care who makes it - if it's quick I'll appreciate it.

The fact that the 300 does it weighing several hundred pounds more highlights it's torque advantage over the LS1.

Bottom line is the GTO isn't the quicker car and I have read that the Hemi holds more performance potential in stock form than the LS1. I believe it was in Hot Rod last month.

Now Chrysler, stroke that Hemi motor to 6.1 and throw it in that new Charger with a 6-speed from the Viper!

I saw a Motor Trend or Road and Track don't remember which one......stated the 300c was running low 14's!!! Never been a Chrysler fan but that is pretty sweet for a big ole family luxury cruiser.

Re: Re: Re: GTO couldn't pull on a 300C

Well that's not really what owners of either of these cars are going to do though is it? Who drops 35 - 40 k on a quasi performance car and then puts slicks on it?

Interestingly enough I looked at the recorded 0-60 times for both cars and they are both low 5 second 0-60 performers - guess that explains that. These cars are evenly matched so it seems and I was really impressed with the 300's performance. The other interesting thing I find is that so many Chrysler haters refuse to give credit where it is due and insist it was driver related. Quite frankly I don't care who makes it - if it's quick I'll appreciate it.

The fact that the 300 does it weighing several hundred pounds more highlights it's torque advantage over the LS1.

Bottom line is the GTO isn't the quicker car and I have read that the Hemi holds more performance potential in stock form than the LS1. I believe it was in Hot Rod last month.

Now Chrysler, stroke that Hemi motor to 6.1 and throw it in that new Charger with a 6-speed from the Viper!

Wow, I really don't remember saying anything about dropping 30-40K in a car and putting on slicks. You do realize that drag radials are street legal? I'm sure the LS1 has a ton more aftermarket parts for it to make much faster and still not cost very much. Numbers out of magazine really don't impress me which is probably why I build them I drive them down the track. Also the race was short so it represents very little.

A stock mustang can beat an LS1 to 60 because of better gearing, but as the torque multiplication stops and the muscle starts, it looks very different at the end of the 1/4. Also I still state that driving has a lot to do with the outcome.

It all depends on where the power band is. The Durango has more peak HP than the Armada but on the strip the Armada pulls a lower et because the torque curve remained flatter and the power band at a better place. That's at least what I read on the Truck Trend.

Re: Re: Re: Re: GTO couldn't pull on a 300C

Originally posted by Marc87GN
Wow, I really don't remember saying anything about dropping 30-40K in a car and putting on slicks. You do realize that drag radials are street legal? I'm sure the LS1 has a ton more aftermarket parts for it to make much faster and still not cost very much. Numbers out of magazine really don't impress me which is probably why I build them I drive them down the track. Also the race was short so it represents very little.

A stock mustang can beat an LS1 to 60 because of better gearing, but as the torque multiplication stops and the muscle starts, it looks very different at the end of the 1/4. Also I still state that driving has a lot to do with the outcome.

This seems almost paradoxical.

The very bottom line is this; The GTO did not beat the 300. If you suggest slicks or a better driver would change the outcome, then to be fair let's do the same with the 300 - fair? In the 1/4 by all the data I recently read it's anybody's race and based on what I experienced I don't doubt it.

Point two - Among new GTO buyers - how many are the type of owners to actually buy DR's for them? My guess is not many - these are being bought by middle-aged men with little interest in racing them. As they fall into the hands of second owners that may change. Case in point my neighbor.

Point three - The LS1 is a nice little motor, but it's not the only big kid on the block anymore and as DC turns up the HP wick and puts it in performance orientated cars - you can bet the aftermarket which has already responded to the Hemi will overflow with speed parts. Yahoo..let them slug it out until we are all driving 500 hp minivans.

Geesh my neighbor took this better than some people!

Originally posted by 87we4turbot
I saw a Motor Trend or Road and Track don't remember which one......stated the 300c was running low 14's!!! Never been a Chrysler fan but that is pretty sweet for a big ole family luxury cruiser.
Car and Driver tested it at 13.9, Motor Trend said 14.27, and another mag said 14.7.:confused: For the 300C 13.9 is the fastest time I've seen and for the GTO it's 13.62 (Motor Trend). Therefore, I'm gonna go with the GTO as being faster; it's lighter, has a 6-speed, and a comparable engine. With a good driver the GTO will take out the Hemi every time, though not by a lot.

I'm guessing that the GTO in this thread was an automatic.. I think its PRETTY DAMN impressive on the 300's part..

Originally posted by TommyV8
Car and Driver tested it at 13.9, Motor Trend said 14.27, and another mag said 14.7.:confused: For the 300C 13.9 is the fastest time I've seen and for the GTO it's 13.62 (Motor Trend). Therefore, I'm gonna go with the GTO as being faster; it's lighter, has a 6-speed, and a comparable engine. With a good driver the GTO will take out the Hemi every time, though not by a lot.

Re: Re: Re: GTO couldn't pull on a 300C

If I bought one, I'd have slicks and skinnies on it in less than a week:D I have no problem bolting slicks on a 40k car, if I'm spending that much money I am going to enjoy it for damn sure. I guess that is what seperates me from the typical new car owner....