You can type here any text you want

gto's....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

goin to work this morning, and a dark blue (new generation) gto pulls up next to me. nice cars too. thought i wouldnt be able to handle him, as my car has a bad tune right now. we both hit it, and he coulnt pass me. he gave it his all, and couldnt pass a V6 thats running with a little cold right now. In the end, I put a half car on em. That sure is a weak V8. In a more aerodynamic car, with more modern engine management technology... in im assuming a lighter package overall too.. ( i thought efficient meant doing more, with less? i guess were going backwards instead of forwards now)

Wow. I cant imagine how bad he woulda got wooped after my sophie comes back from the doctors for a checkup, powerplate, new fuel pump, valve springs, and maybe a new chip....all in time for the fall...with its nice cold air.. ramming down my ram air tube.. :)

Turbo6Smackdown said:
... in im assuming a lighter package overall too..
Actually they weigh more than 4000#'s. I've seen some at a local track running 13's w/ just an exhaust.

Any time you can beat a 400hp V8, it's a good kill :biggrin: .

My friends 06 GTO 6-speed turned a 13.40@106.xx mph on street tires. He is a big guy and he only pulls the spare and jack out of the trunk at the track.

GOOD GTO KILL-

I dont doubt it, they really arent that fast from 0-100, but they do pull fairly good on the top. Compared to a weak or stock turbo regal in a stoplight to stoplight action, they are fairly close, but low on torque.

I wish i had a video of a new GTO my buddy beat.

We went out to lunch, i had a few beers so i let him drive my car, go figure we hit a red light and the GTO wanted to play.

Long story short-
Since i was the passenger, i instagated it looking to my right and talking with the GTO guy.
All i said was, wanna run my lil oh V6....
All he said was, i know what you got under there...
Light turned green and we slowly pulled out off idle :cool: 9/11 convertor and stock turbo = instant boost.
We slowly pulled out and let him get the lead in first, his was a stick shift, i guess he got the RPM where he wanted while rolling and nailed it.
That is when Deron nailed the gas in my car, went by him like he was standing still and put enough lengths on him he definitely couldnt see my plate.
I guess i had the advantage of a mid 12 second car on radials :biggrin:

Its all about run what ya brung!

BW

Not all of them are slow. There have been a few make 12s with just a tire. Common to see around 13.3@106ish for the 05+ LS2 ones.

Mine is bone stock other than the little ol' Maggie living under the hood. That makes them good for about 470-480 at the wheels and low 12s at 116ish on street tires. It seems to take quite a bit to make them 60', perhaps just the aftermarket playing catch up on the IRS.

It definatly isn't the drag car that a TR is, thus why I'm buying a TR for my fast car. I didn't want to do much more hurt the reliability of my daily driver and have wanted a TR for years.

GTO is a great car for what it is, a quick comfortable GT car.

picking on the GTOs

Beating on the GTOs now ;) Definitely two completely different cars with two entirely different driving experiences, but I'm glad I have both. At a drag strip, there is a much better chance of the TRs winning, because of how well they respond to mods. GTO is a great all around fun to drive car though.

i do believe this one was the smaller of the two engines. they all look the same to me though. it definitely sounded good too. as they all do. and they are not slow by any means. I just couldnt believe such a great engine in an aerodynamic package couldnt beat my gn with a bad tune, leaned out front cylinders, bad fuel pump, semi worn posi clutches, HORRIBLE exhaust system, terrible chip, super hard tires, and a vacuum leak V6. It's crazy..
A modern V8 with 17 more years of engineering and technological advancements, cant hang with an 'old mans' buick V6 thats kinda sick right now. I just cant imagine how stupid this car is going to be when im done replacing the old tired fuel pump, even things out a bit with a powerplate, throw a tt chip in there, put my stock headers back on, with a 3" single shot ending thru an ultra flow muffler, better tires, and fresh valve springs... These cars are freaks and should be brought back by buick. I cant imagine what the HELL they were thinking in 1988....

Good kill. Funny!

So, after 2 years, I finally got the Hot Air running decent. Still at 85% tune I'd say.

Last week, the GF takes the car out for a wash while I stay home. At a stoplight, a newer GTO indicates that he wants to play and revs his engine at her. She nods and watches the light. As soon as the light turns, she nails it in “Drive” leaving with zero boost (she is scared of the T-brake). She pulls him by about 1.5 – 2 car lengths for about 1/8 mile and slows down. The GTO catches up at the next light and asks; “What you have in it?”
“Just a V6”, she answers.

While she is telling me the story, I ask … (Thinking she did not know what the other car was)
Was it a GTO? ….. “The side badging said GTO, so that is how I know”
Was he making up ground? "No, I don't think so, it looked like I was pulling away slowly".
Was it lound and did it have dual exhaust or not? “Don’t know, I was ahead of him” (LOL!)

I have not raced the car, but would have never thought this HA would be able to pull a GTO.
This guy must have underestimated the GN since a “gal” was driving it.

Back