Guess what I bought this weekend.......

Tonya83T

Boostin Daily & Luvin' It
.........I now have twins! I drove to Atlanta over the weekend & bought another 83 T-Type. This one is sooooo different from mine. It is black w/burgendy interior. The interior is in great shape. It's not a Limited.but it has the Landal vinal top & it has T-Tops. Whooo I love those T-Tops! It was very reasonably priced & needs some minor work. (I hope) The paint is very black & shiny w/some stock looking regal rims (I think). Guess I won't be selling my old Welds now, they will be donated to the new ride. I ended up driving 800 miles for this car & must say it was worth it. It was quite an adventure; from the traffic from HELL in Atlanta..to the rain from HELL (with out windsheild wipers) I hit in Florida....It was a very interesting weekend to say the least.
The car has an exhuast manifold leak on the passenger side, that ticks like crazy. What gaskets do I need to get to fix this? Another thing is, the guy who had it disconnected the EGR. He also changed the valve covers. He put on some chrome Edlebrock covers, but the breather hole is in the wrong place, so he corked it off & they leak. This is gonna be a challenge......I have got to put on some different valve covers, but all those vaccum lines & hoses scare the crap out of me. How will I ever be sure to get them all hooked up right? :confused:
There are a few bonuses tho... it already has an adjustable wastegate & a posi in it. Of course the speedo don't work. Isn't that common with these cars....the speedo not working or being off. Were they totally nuts to only put a 85 mph speedo in em or what?
As soon as we got home we had ro replaced the front brakes, bearings, spindles & rotors. In fact we were lucky to get it home. Come to find out the spindle was striped & we lost a caliper bolt on the way.
I plan to update one of my web pages with some pics of the new ride & some more pics of grey baby too. Let me know what you guys think........
Later
~ Tonya ~

the only thing i have to say is....Dam Right! thats awsome that u bought anither T-Type... but r u sure that its a t-type and not a GN? i found this site on yahoo that ill find again that tells u the options ur car had and what it should have in it.. ill look it uo and post it... and speakin of postin... get some pics uo and goin on that beast....:D

Better check your ultra sound to make sure you don't have more than 1 set of twins. :D
How bad was the taffic in Atlanta? I have put in for a transfer to the Airport there?
Find some 87GN rims and put on it, that's want I plan on doing when I get the bugs work out.
Sorry to say that there was no GN's in 83, it's the only year between 82-87 that did not :( But a carbed turbo none the less ;)

I know it's not a GN
they didn't make the GN in 83.
But it's definately a T-Type.
I would be interested in seeing that link you mentioned tho.
I am getting ready to upload some pics now.
:D Tonya

Jim....The traffic in Atlanta is horrible! The 285 East by-pass was closed due to contrustion & it took me 3 hours of bumper to bumper traffic to make my way around it. & the airport...damn that's a mad house! When ya movin? You planning to attend the Street Car Shootout in Atlanta in late Sept? I am.
The guy I bought the car from says he had 85 GN wheels on it before, but didn't like it because the car has so much chrome on it. I plan to put my old Welds on it, they are in great shape & they should look great with all the chrome.
;) Tonya

by the way... which do u like more? which is quicker... also wile ur getting ready to be expecting ill take one of ur twins to take care of...;)
BUT... im glad for u. did u read my dissapointing run in the past weekend? about how i could fit the 11 in trad under the body w/ 3/8 or 7/16 spacers..and there was 2-1/2 inchs clearance from the fender well:D oh yea.!

Have ya taken a close look @ my rear tires? I got 11 inches of rubber under there w/o spacers. I used 3 1/2 inch back spacing with a 8 inch rim. 275/60/15 Cooper Cobras. I plan to get some better pics up soon. Did ya end up getting new rims?
I wouldn't say I like either of them better yet & with the few problems the black one has I won't be finding out which is quicker until I get it back into good shape-but the black one is the one with the adjustable wastegate & posi. It runs great, but I am not willing to risk hurting it yet. Except cruisin @ 80 all the way home.
Tonya

they only rubber a lil.. i think there 315/70R15.. im not sure about if there 315 or 305. but there 11 inchs a tread but are a 10 inch tire. there meant for 15x10'sbut we figured that when i go around a corner and the rear flex's that it will rub hard... i just have them sittin at my friends shop.

Tonya, I have not been officially told that I have the job yet, the computer system that runs it is down. (they tried to integrate 3 systems together)
I have been told that I'm a STRONG runner for the job and have I been looking for a house there yet and to get my paper together to buy a house. The people have been chosen but they would tell untill the system kicks it out.
As for the traffic, I drive on the number 1 rated worst traffic freeway in the US. I live 34 miles from work (SEA-TAC airport), it takes me 1.5 hours to get to work & 2 to get home on the avg.
I won't beable to make the shootout, I'm on vacation now. They won't be moves me for another 4 months (unofficially ;) )

I think that the Welds will look good, I like them on your first TR.
Did you save your old spindles? Can you use them on the new T?

mr 85regal

If the tire's you have only rub around corners, get some air bags for the rear springs. They're only $62 (cheaper than new tires) & should work great at keeping the rears's from rubbin', they do a great job at eliminating body roll. They're EASY to install too! You could also "roll" the inner fenderwell too.

305 or 315, WOW!:eek: That's gotta be AT LEAST 12" wide.
295/60's are comepareable to an N50 which IS 12" wide.
I hade G-60/15's that were supposed to be compareable to a 265/60/15 thats 10 -1/2" wide. They were actually wider than that tho.

~TONYA~
Congrats on the new BABY! :D The one with the turbo that is;)

Tonya, I'm curious where exactly you had to go to get the car. (I'm on the south side of Atlanta..........but it sounds like you had to head on up to the far north-side.) Anyway.......I seldom take 285 unless I absolutely must.

Your trip home sounds like an "interesting" adventure.

Oh......and Ttype83, I happen to work at the ATL airport. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions or need any gee-whiz info. prior to making the move.

Congratulations!!!

Originally posted by Tonya83T
The car has an exhuast manifold leak on the passenger side, that ticks like crazy. What gaskets do I need to get to fix this?

They didn't use gaskets from the factory. The bolts tend to loosen and might just need to be retightened. If someone used gaskets, the flange warps and you might need to use them again. Try it without, but otherwise use Fel-pro. Search the Hot-Air fourm about this. They use the same exhaust manifolds.

Another thing is, the guy who had it disconnected the EGR. He also changed the valve covers. He put on some chrome Edlebrock covers, but the breather hole is in the wrong place, so he corked it off & they leak. This is gonna be a challenge......I have got to put on some different valve covers, but all those vaccum lines & hoses scare the crap out of me. How will I ever be sure to get them all hooked up right?

You will have to pull the turbo/plenum to change the valve covers. :( I have been consider using aluminum 84/87 TR covers, but they will require some work first. E-mail me an address and I will send you the wiring/vacuum diagrams.

Of course the speedo don't work. Isn't that common with these cars....the speedo not working or being off. Were they totally nuts to only put a 85 mph speedo in em or what?

On my '82, the cruise control unit seized up. Then the end of the speedo cable breaks off. I removed the Cruise's guts and replaced the cable tip (easy) and all is well. (Excecpt for no cruise of course - That's a project for another day.) Unscrew the cable from the trans at the control unit and check the plastic tip.

The 85mph was the federal government's idea to keep cars from speeding :rolleyes:. They all had it back then.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Tonya. It's possible that the passenger side header is cracked. I is around cyc 2 & 6. On cyc 2 I can see that the weld has broken. on cyc 6 I can see where it leaks on to the head.
As for the speedo, I used a used piece from the junkyard. If the setup is the same it will work

Pick, when they official tell me I'll shoot you a email :D Thanks

Mr Regal85........hey watch it, I'm a blonde too...... :D
& Turbo-Rich is right about buying air bags.

Jim.......yep I did use the spindles off of the grey one that I just replaced.

Pick....I had to get to the East side of Atlanta, a town called Snellsville.

B4black.....Luckily the guy gave me the stock valve covers, so I will probably use those, but who knows right now.

I can't seem to add pictures any where, on any attachments or on any of the Yahoo clubs, so I made a new page for the black one..I only have a couple pics so far, but you can get an idea of what it looks like.

http://www.geocities.com/tonyas_t_type/my_ride3_index.html

Later
~ Tonya ~

they rub entirely.... with just the rims on there they sit on the frame... if i add backspacers it will clear but rub under hard conditions. but im proud.. my stock 3.8litre 2bbl 6cyl blew away a new Suberu WRX. we were doin about 90 down the highway buy my house and we were comin up to traffic.... so i flicked off the subaru and dipped through the 11pm traffic :D ..... after wipping through about a half a mile a traffic i came out on top... the car caught up to me when i slowed to 55 and pasted a cop... he asked what was done to the car and what motor i had to fly through traffic. his jaw dropped when i said a 100 HP 6cyl. GO ME GO ME GO ME!....lol. But back to the rims.. a 3/8 or 7/16 spacer should clear it up... but then the price a those long shank lugs is mind blowing. im gunna give it a shot and if it works ill just drive slow round corners and drive careful...lol yea right

WOW, that '83 looks great! :)

I actually like those stock rims (Buick called them "road wheels"). They were optional for the T Type. I am thinking about putting them on my '83, but if I do, I will go with some 15x8's from a 70's Skylark GS instead of the 14x6's. I still have my wire wheel covers on. :eek:

i totally agree w/ b4black.. i like those rims also. but the ones i like i saw on my friends 77 Riviera that had knockoffs on them. those look bad ass. he dropped the car till the frame was about 4-5 inchs from the ground and did the motor entirly up... did u know u can Die a vinal top to a different color. his top was orange and he died it to white...

a new page with both T-Types together

I just wanted to toss up this link to a newly made page for both of the T's. I plan to hang on to those Buick rims, I like them too, but the Welds....ummm,....well see for yourselves.......
http://www.geocities.com/tonyas_t_type/1983_T_Types.html
I wish I knew how to put links on my web pages so I could link them all together. Oh well, they're free pages & easy to make. :D
Later
~ Tonya ~