Guys that do bodywork for a living...

We all know a paint job isn’t cheap but 1800 on parts alone sounds steep to me. Especially since he stripped it himself.
If you’re painting the car the same color you didn’t have to go down to the metal if there was no rust.
You may not get a foundation as good as the factory foundation.

There is a thread on here where a member was shopping around for painting quotes and they were all pricey.
His wife said she’d paint the car. She did some research and turned their garage into a paint booth.

From what I remember it came out pretty good.

D

I spent a lot of time reading and asking questions on the autobody101.com forum. If you can find a friend who works in a body shop, perhaps he can get you after hours access to a spray booth.

The links above where ran through the shop we both worked at during that time. Retail was $7600 I paid $49xx. I stripped it and disassembled the entire car before hand. That was 2008.

This car same person, at home in his garage charging 20-30 per hour. Remove all glass, all jambs, may go white pearl or maroon not sure yet. It was a factory white car. With a terrible repaint in early 90's. He will rent the paint booth when the time come for that.

And any lacquer paint needs to be stripped or it will check under the new paint job. I had another GN painted in 2005ish and shop said sure we can seal it and it won't come back.....bullshit.....I was reassembling the car right out of the booth and you could see the checks under the paint on the hood. it went back 3 times before they finally stripped the hood. Lesson learned.

The factory foundation was crap. Painting over lacquer is a big no no if you want a show quality finish. The lacquer will cause pinch up, die back, you will get rings around repairs, and the new paint will chip or peel off easy. Nothing sticks to lacquer because its molecules are constantly moving.

Painted my car for around 1500.00 PPG products
image.jpg

Quick question, where is your painter located? I'm northish of you and am looking for a painter with skill. I'm in the same boat as you though, I have completely disassembled the car and sanded it and getting it ready for primer but have never painted and don't want my first paint job to be black so I want to find someone with skill that isn't full of themselves and asking $9500 with no warranties or guarantees.

Actually I painted my own car, my family has been in the auto body business for three generations. I left the industry to work in the oil field, now I enjoy doing it as a hobby. Black is a tough color most of the work is in the blocking, getting that body clean and straight. Almost all paint jobs need to be color sanded and buffed, but with darker colors this is a project only cause I hate swirl marks. Here is a video of my car so far.

Actually I painted my own car, my family has been in the auto body business for three generations. I left the industry to work in the oil field, now I enjoy doing it as a hobby. Black is a tough color most of the work is in the blocking, getting that body clean and straight. Almost all paint jobs need to be color sanded and buffed, but with darker colors this is a project only cause I hate swirl marks. Here is a video of my car so

Sorry for the confusion but I was asking the OP lol. Don't get me wrong, your car looks absolutely beautiful and can only hope mine turns out half as good as yours. I guess I just don't want to paint it and find out a few months later I didn't do something right and it all goes to hell

PPG makes all levels of paint. House paint as well. 1800 for materials is a bit much but not overboard. Anybody see signs at a shop, labor rate, 45 per hour 65 if you watch and 105 if you help?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Our ins. Rate is 95hr repair time then paint time u add 30$ an hour on top of that. Looks good too!!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

No doubt about it paying for a paint job is expensive. Not to mention how long the vehicle is in "paint jail." I painted mine this summer. It was my first paint job and black is tough. I did all the work in my back yard, spraying base and clear as well. I used a harbor freight portable garage as a makeshift paint booth. I was very pleased with the results, not perfect but better than some jobs that have come out of so called professional shops.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Your better off having the car media blasted with all glass out. Mine was blasted .I had the fenders and doors off the car and they did both sides. All the glass was removed. Its going to cost me 6k for the shop to prime block and sand and paint with a lifetime warranty on paint. He is going to assemble the car as well He uses Standox.