Had a very noticable "shudder" on a 2-3 shift tonight.....

8UWITH6

Hey guys.

Well, now that the GN is running great, of course my tranny is starting to get a little sloppy. Its not flaring bad yet, but the shifts at WOT are pretty mushy. I know Im in for a tranny rebuild pretty damn quick, so dont tell me thats what I need. LOL.

My question for you guys is:

What would cause a studder/shudder at WOT on the 2-3 shift? I was getting on the highway to go hang out with the street race crowd and wanted to make sure my boost level was safe for pump gas. So, I got on the on-ramp and layed into it hard, kicked into 1st, mushy shift to 2nd, then going into 3rd it just kinda hesitated, shuddered, engine RPM kinda fluttered just a bit, etc. I let off after that and havent WOTed the car to the 2-3 shift since. Converter was not locked or anything, just driving around town.

I guess my other question is:

I want to go to the track tomorrow one last time before I yank the tranny and put the GN away for winter........you think it will take 3 more passes? As far as I know its a stock tranny with almost 68K miles on it, no shift kit no nothing. Obviously you need to know if it does it again tomorrow at WOT on the street, but I cant tell you that right now. I guess I could push my luck......just give me some thoughts. THANK YOU

I can think of a few possibilities:
  • Valve springs - As Bruce mentioned in a post above, tired valve springs can feel like a transmission problem.
  • Knock retard - If you got into heavy retard, it also can give the impression that the transmission is shifting funny.
  • Fluid level - Are you sure your fluid level hasn't gone down?

Engine is fresh, with new valve springs, cam, and lifters.

No KR at all, 15psi and pump gas.

Tranny fluid level is perfect, with new Type F fluid from a while back

This is NOT the engine, it IS the tranny.

Thanks for the reply.......anyone else? Thanks

Before you condemn the trans, have you checked the tv cable adjustment? It sounds like a 2-3 flare to me, but I can only go by what you described. I'm not trying to put you down, but why would you want to race if there is a possibilty the trans is going away? If it is in fact a flare, then the car is only going to slow down. I would check the obvious first.