You can type here any text you want

hai guis

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Sounds like the power steering mallorator overload pressure switch has polarity issues. It must be removed and soaked in liquid squelch to be cleaned and realigned.

I took the carb off today to get it rebuilt. hopefully that will help things. I noticed this plastic/metal riser between the carb and the engine that has two electrical wire hooked up too it. The metal is all messed up and melted on it, What is this part even called so I can get a new one ha

It's no longer available and cuts down on airflow. Just replace it with a thick gasket and you'll be fine.

For real? I can't even get one anymore? Will not having it be an issue at all, seeing as I live in northern wisconsin?

I will have the carburetor back by tomorrow. My only problem now is how to hook it back up to the car, I am not sure if I will remember it all. Do you know of any diagrams on the web I can look at? I seen some in the forums but I have no idea which one, if any pertain to my vehicle.

Thanks again, for everyone's help by the way.

OKAY.
So the carberator was rebuilt. I am still having the same issues, but only for the first half hour or so of driving for the day. Then the problem goes away, it doesn't die anymore when I stomp on the gas though, it just runs like shit cold and barely moves and stutters when I put ANY pressure on the gas. It's basically inoperable in cold.

Should I go through and check the sparkplugs?

Or any other suggestions?

Sounds like the choke and/or choke pulloff aren't set right. Pull a few of the plugs and see what they look like.

Ok well I drove my car to classes today and I just got out. I went to go start it, and it started up twice but died right away. Now it won't start at all.. I'm like stuck here, haha this car is really starting to piss me off. After reading a bunch the only thing I can see that I might need to replace is the crankshaft position sensor.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but when I put the keys into the "on" position without trying to start it, the service engine light comes on.

Also, the service engine light has randomly came on and turned off in the past.

The other problems that I have been experiencing seem similar to what they describe when the crankshaft position sensor is bad... It idles like shit, will run just great at times then start stuttering and die and won't start up for a long time, and like I said the service engine light randomly turns on once in awhile.

If it's got a carb it doesn't have a crank sensor, it's got a distributor. You might do a little reading over at WWW.beforeblack.net to get a little better idea of what's on the car. It doesn't have the turbo system but the computer ect act pretty much the same so it might help you.

Damn. I got one person telling me one thing, and another telling me the complete opposite! Ha well why or how did oreillys just sell me a crankshaft position sensor?!
Hooked it up to the scanner and it won't even give me a reading. It just says the car is not responding.. But when I turn on the scanner, the car makes a click click.

Depending on which scanner you're using most likely you need to hook some sort of power to it. OBDII has a power source in the ALDL plug but the earlier ones have to have a seprate power source. Also, if you've got a carb on it there's no place to mount the crank sensor since you've got a distributor.

I believe I have the obd1 sensor? Is that even the right one? I mean the sensor powers up and everything. The clip doesn't seem to fit in there the best tho. The port is by the ash tray right? I'm like stuck at school right now, I'm just typing from my phone.

OBDI is from 80 to 95 systems. After 95 it's OBDII and there's a few late 95 that have a bastard system with an OBDII ALDL but not an OBDII operating system. All OBDI systems have to have a power source for the scanner to work.

Okay. Well the scanner us working. It's just saying that the car isn't responding though. I really have no idea where to trouble shoot from here

Check to see if a fuse has blown first. Then make sure you're getting power to the puter. You will need to back probe the wires from the ALDL to the puter to see if there's continuity on all the wires if the firts 2 items I stated don't help.

Okay well it somehow managed to start up and I got it home...
When it started up it was spewing white smoke like crazy, but its raining and 35 degrees here so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Also it was idling insanely high once it started, the whole way home.....And made a super bad sounding clunk when I took it out of park to go in reverse.
I also see that I have a wire in the engine that looks like the clip is broken and it's not hooked up to anything.
Are they any electrical wires on the passenger side of the carb? I have this shiney metal piece on the carb that nothing is hooked up to, but looks like something should.

Please go to your user controls and add a location. One of us may be near you and can help out.

Ok, on the passenger side of the carb is the choke. If the connector is broken and the wire not attached then the choke isn't getting power so it's running really rich. The white "smoke" may or may not be smoke. It may be steam from condensation in the exhaust after cooling down.

Sounds like the power steering mallorator overload pressure switch has polarity issues. It must be removed and soaked in liquid sqelch to be cleaned and realigned.

Hey, I don't remember seeing this in the Turbo Buick spring cleaning guide. You should add it in there for the newbs. :D

Okay, the connector wasn't broken, I just thought it was. I plugged that in, and it ran awesome. Then I turned it off, waited a few hours and then it wouldn't start unless I used starting fluid. NOW that's the only way I can get it started.

BUT, I think I know why. When I was taking off the fuel filter in the front of the carb, I twisted the line and it's all bent, almost like a right angle type of crease. I also noticed when I was trying to start it, that there was no fuel going into the carb when I would press on the gas. Another thing is that, when I go to try and start it, it runs for awhile, but only as long as I'm holding down on the gas, I let off and then it dies, and eventually doesn't start again. It will run fine if I start it with starting fluid though.

Tomorrow I am going to replace that section of the fuel line, everything else is good now except for the "not starting" problem.

Back