hanging rods

gsbuick65

was looking at the book on how to hang rods it says on 1-3-5 to put notch toward front of engine, chamfered corners toward front of engine and boss on rod toward rear of engine. what is the 'boss' ?

As I recall, the trimmed corners of the rod caps face away from each other, and the rods all go "flat to flat". If you look at the rods, you will see that the rods have a bevelled side and a flat side to each of them. Hopefully, your caps have remained with their rods. I would be concerned about mix and match on the caps if the motor was apart and tossed into a pile. I would have the rods and caps resized if they have been mixed up. Thanks, Counterman.

yea I had them resurfaced but they forgot to press em back on the pistons, so I took em to napa and he wasnt sure. just wanta make sure there right.

another way to remember which way the rods go is to put the bearing tab slot toward the pan rail on each bank. this orients the rod properly. this is true w/ alot of engines, but not all (oldsmobiles, some small block fords they go in the other way.) anyways do this and they'll be correct.