hard one to crack

wbzautocustomiz

Want my GN to go 11's one day
I have a thread going about this problem but I want to try to narrow it down like this, alright car will not let me mash gas pedal at about 3200-up rpms now when it gets to that point it will backfire and CE light will flash then if I back out clears up, I am trying to see if this could be something electrical? If yes any idea what to check and I have done all the common sense things I think so and I have extra parts that have been swapping to have same outcome.

check the ring under the cam sensor cap,make sure its tight. i had a similar problem that i couldn't figure out and that was it

Yes ring is tight also had spare cap and whole cam sensor and all double triple checked the basics hoses tight, exhaust and vacuum leaks-none, new ecm, chip, ign module, coil, injectors ,fuel pump,rewired hotwire, maf, map, wires, plugs (.035 tight),grounds checked repaired replaced if needed, I can add a few more to the list Im just trying to give a picture of what is has been doing ya'll follow me this has been going on for a while and just cant crack it.:confused:

if you have a scanmaster or the like keep an eye on AF to be sure your MAF hasnt gone on the fritz and locked on to a default value where when you give gas above that value youre leaning the motor out. i had it happen and no code was set. just my .02

Or Batt. positive touching the right exhaust manifold under boost, also you may wanna check the resistance of the orange wire for the ECM by the battery may be getting ready to break. What code do you have or does the SM not pick it up

nope no mal codes/ valet chip not sure

No mal codes on scanmaster and all other #'s look ok maf 225 wot, tps 4.66-4.68 wot, I have TT chip ver 5.6 just installed with matched injectors 42's and followed basic install instructions that came with chip not sure about the valet thing is there a way to check for that and if it is how to change?

i had a bad contole module do this once..worth a swap if you got one laying around .I would get warm and not tell the coils to trow enough voltage on the secondary spark i think it was....Auto zone or parts store can test it for ya.

Blinking CE light is the key here

Do you have another chip you could try? Also do you have access to another ecm? That would be next.

The only time I had similar problems, it was the coil pack.

I would swap that, plus maybe ignition module.

I had a similar issue at higher rpms. Car felt like it was cutting out. It turned out to be the thrust bearing was worn out. The crank would walk forward and it will loose the crank sensor signal. Also I had a very loose timing chain (it was a double roller with the tensioner still in place). The owner before me did not use the Zink additive for the flat tappet cam. It rounded two lobs and wiped all the bearings.

trying to stop chasing problem but is it fixable?

Ok chip,ecm, ign module and coil swapped out of working car no change, 02's are in spec, no knock, FP 43psi vac off at WOT 53-54ish w/ 10-12 lbs boost I think its ok and now I am getting scared about the whole crank "walking":eek: thing, or cam lobes wiped, etc, etc, hope not if so wont be fixing that will put a whole new drivetrain in. :cool:I bought car in 2005 that was nothing but a piece of crap and redid everything car is beautiful inside and out, over $20K invested & now cant even get car running good :mad:THIS REALLY SUCKS:mad:!!! I am thankful :Dfor all help from you guys at TB.com Iwish this could be fixed Hey anybody got that magic wand that I could use:biggrin:

Having the same problem on my 86 g.n! Make sure you have a good ground on coil pack and module. Might have to take braket off and clean the top side of your intake

sounds to me like an ignition break down. I have seen this many times.what brand ignition module are you using? The most common brand I have seen most problems with have been the cheap auto zone, advance auto parts modules. with that being said, is it a GM, or a/c delco?if not I would start by getting a name brand such as that or a standard ignition. the grounding inside the cheap modules are a poor design.I did alot of research on this particular problem about 2 years ago.when the parts on our cars start getting old,especially the electonics,the solder joints become weak from alot of heat disipation,I have seen this in alot of computers and modules.

Fred

update fixed it finally

bad connection from coil to ign module yellow/blk wire had some damage repaired and wow shes tight now, Thanks to all in this trouble issue that helped me out PS all parts are delco and from working cars