Hardtop vs t top weight difference?

434nova

How much more weight does the t tops add compare to it being a hardtop ?

I'd like to know this too. Both my cars are t-top and I've never weighed either. I will weigh the GN soon though

unless you compare two identical cars with the same amount of fluids ,tires tire wear, paint etc youll never get to the truth
you would have to go back to when they were new and get the ship wights , and even then even two identical hardtops would vary

Well one of these times when someone does a hardtop conversion....they need to weigh before and after

I think the hardtop weights more because of the steel roof(instead of glass). Also maybe depends on option the car has. Mine is a hardtop(standard) with no power options besides tilt wheel/AC/rear defroster/factory radio(less headaches). I think if u want to push the car to the extreme the hardtop is better, T-top would most likely twist more the frame with t-top option. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
The glass in a T roof is WAAAY heavier than the sheet metal in a hard top. Also the frame near the windshield is heavier and protrudes into the interior. I can't speak to the flex but I think the hardtop is preferred by the hardcore racers on this site because they say there's less flex.

Circle track guys love t tops though...gut all that crap and replace with sheet aluminum is allowed and makes it lighter with a lower center of gravity than hardtop. Least that's what the guy that bought my last parts car said.

TTOP heavier. Heavier for the structure involved with framing the tops, the tops are heavier. Cut many hard tops, many ttops, and rebuilt and converted one to a TTOP.

I don't doubt that a top is heavier but by how much ? 50 , 75 , 100 #s etc. I think around 50 # more than a similar option hardtop.

100# would be the most, I am thinking 75, most of the weight difference is in the center bar reinforcement, which it is heavy, and the glass tops

T-top car is very flexible. I have one with all the braces and it still squeaks!