You can type here any text you want

HARLAND SHARP ROCKERS/ADJUSTMENT

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOKA72

hey guys...got the car apart for some maintenance. I have 1.6 hs rockers on the engine. 210/215 roller with morel lifters. I am sure I am hearing that the pas side is louder. I have not started the engine in a few months so im figuring oil is out of the lifters. I can spin the pushrods fairly easy on some. questions are:
1. prime oil pump and fill lifters then recheck. to make a decision.
2. adjust rockers now that there empty
3. engine is all together so I will adjust to pushrod gets tight then 1 turn.
4. am I totally off and leave them alone???or tell me how to do them.
thanks guys vinny

if you need to readjust the lash .just loosen and tighten slowing spinning the pushrod with your fingers you can feel the 0 lash mark as soon as it touchs the lifter.adjust from there

if you need to readjust the lash .just loosen and tighten slowing spinning the pushrod with your fingers you can feel the 0 lash mark as soon as it touchs the lifter.adjust from there
Sorry to hi jack, I just bought a cam kit, and will be running stock rockers, so am I able to adjust the lash? Am I looking for 0 lash or what?

Not installing everything til the spring, but figured I'd ask now just to learn a little. Valve train adjustment is new to me.

wahoo... , stock is not adjustable without shimming up the shafts and that i dont recommend youll need to measure accounting for desired preload and order pushrods

vinny
1 yes
2 no
3 after warmup if you want to check and readjust the preload
rotate engine so exhaust valve opens on a cylinder , adjust the intake valve for that cylinder ..dont use the spin till its tight thats not going to workas it wont stop spinning untill you bottom out the lifter disc
... loosen lock nut back off adjuster and then lightly rattle rocker up and down while adjusting rocker down to find zero lash . then you can setpreload .050 preload , 1 turn is .050" if your using limited travel race lifters you need almost 0 preload , regular lifters go 3/4 turn tighten locking nut
rotate until intake opens and adjust the exhaust valve , repeat for the rest

Paul: The Morel instructions call for .020" to .025" preload, which would be approx. 1/2 turn. Looks like you are suggesting a preload of .037" with the 3/4 turn suggested above. Was wondering if this was an amount that you have found to be quieter and/or work better? I am at that stage of the build and would appreciate your thoughts or those of anyone who would care to chime in... TIA

OP stated that he has the engine apart for maintenance, so I would think that the lifters have some oil in them. Mine are still in the box (dry), so would be setting the preload for the the first time. I turn down the adjuster to where the push rod no longer rattles against the rocker and is just barely touching--then do the 1/2 turn for .025" preload. My question for you was: do you think your car runs better/quieter with approx. .037" of preload than it would with .025"?

Thanks!

J

If you're dealing with new lifters get few sockets and a vice. Find one that fits over the wheel without touching it yet sits squarely on the base. Get a 1/4 deep socket that will sit in the cup without messing with the retainer clip. Then gingerly squish the cup to break any static friction and displace the factory jizz from inside the lifter. By the time you get few down, you'll have 'a feel' of how the cups 'float'.
Even the Morels can have sticky lifters from sitting and not unsticking them can be a 1way ticking to pulling your hair out with a noisy valvetrain.

Shimming the rocker shafts is a great way to break a rocker pedestal.

Thanks Earl. Can't remember--are you running a flat tappet in your 4.1+ or is it a roller cam? If a roller, what preload do you prefer?
And yes, NEVER shim, use the Comp pushrod checking tool for proper pushrod length whether it be stock set up or roller rockers. Money well spent....
Time to go squish some lifters:LOL:

I'm running a roller. That's why it took 6 years to hear my car run instead of much less... I wasn't going to chance a flat cam.

I would recommend more like .040 preload they are much quieter and we don't run enough rpm to pump them up

I would recommend more like .040 preload they are much quieter and we don't run enough rpm to pump them up

Thanks Mike. I want to keep the noise to a minimum, so I will be setting the preload deeper than the .025" that they list in their instructions...

Back