You can type here any text you want

HD lower control arms from scratch

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I went with 1/2" bolts. I had some 1/2" grade 8 bolts that were just the right length, hardened washers and nyloc nuts sitting in my special fasteners bin.
Not done yet. I got distracted with some paying jobs while in the middle of machining the mounting spacer bushings.

I've seen those types of braces before. A good idea. I'll be bracing the upper crossmember one way or another.

Did you check out those arms? They are very similar to yours. I was wondering if you saw those first and decided to build your own.

Wait till you see the brace set-up I am going to build. I want to incorporate a drive shaft loop into it. I have the idea in my head, I just need to lay under the car for a day or two and see I can make it work. I think I can. If so look out Buick world. I may have the next "must have" part for these money pits.

Thamks
Coach

Did you check out those arms? They are very similar to yours. I was wondering if you saw those first and decided to build your own.

Wait till you see the brace set-up I am going to build. I want to incorporate a drive shaft loop into it. I have the idea in my head, I just need to lay under the car for a day or two and see I can make it work. I think I can. If so look out Buick world. I may have the next "must have" part for these money pits.

Thamks
Coach
Actually, you're typical racing 4 link suspension system gave me the idea.
Your idea sounds very interesting. I hope you post it up when you're done with it.

Actually, you're typical racing 4 link suspension system gave me the idea.
Your idea sounds very interesting. I hope you post it up when you're done with it.

I love the fabrication thread so much, I find myself thinking of things to build so I can post. I just bought 12 more feet of aluminum so I can make 3 sets of trailing arms. I am going to sell them to a vendor to sell to members or put them on e-bay with a link here. I am making 24 more booster plates soon, and I have 2 sets of seat belt floor mounting brackets done. This trailing arm brace / drive shaft loop is going to be trick. It will also kill 2 birds with one stone. The exhaust is the only thing I have to take into consideration. I do not think it will be hard to get around it. I will def post when it is done. I may take the arms to Norwalk race days if they are done.

Coach

Here's the new control arm compared to the old control arm.

Attachments

• IMGP1582rs.jpg
    IMGP1582rs.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 646
how far did you get on this and what is the final cost.?
You can see pictures of them installed in this other thread.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/fa...tion/275197-rear-frame-rail-notching-how.html

They are working great so far. I love having the adjustability. I've already had to use them to move the whole axle housing back a little to give me better clearance between the tire and the front of the wheel opening. I discovered on the first 1/4 mile outing with the new tires at Bakerfield Pinks All Out that tire growth was causing quite a bit of rubbing. I wonder how much it was slowing me down. :rolleyes:

Even with the axle back as far as I dare go, I'm still getting some rubbing. I may have to do some body work to the wheel opening.

here is my set of Lower arms

lower arms are 3/4 heim w/ 5/8 bolt hole, in a swedged tube, cad plated.

tire clearance.....
I cut a slender pie shape from the front of lower rear wheel well, ea side,about 1in wide, and 6-8 in long, then put wheel well back in place spot welded it, and will finish it when I paint the car,

Attachments

• MVC-071F.jpg
    MVC-071F.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 451
  • IMGP0011.jpg
    IMGP0011.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 446
here is what I've been doing

just fun stuff

Attachments

• rear susp4.jpg
    rear susp4.jpg