You can type here any text you want

Head Bolts Sealant

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
What type of head bolt sealant do I need to use??? Thanks

Your going to get ten different answers :) . But here's mine , Permatex No 2 on studs and head bolts . never ran into a problem as of yet . Not a engine builder but I've done a few head bolts and studs . :)

Your going to get ten different answers :) . But here's mine , Permatex No 2 on studs and head bolts . never ran into a problem as of yet . Not a engine builder but I've done a few head bolts and studs . :)

me too

+1

Need input please

I was playing a little to hard last night with my 87 GN and was checking to see if my spray was coming on. On the first past the spray was on but I still had knock. I gave a second past and suddenly big miss and a lot of blue smoke. I shut it down and checked the oil, no antifreeze. I have two breathers, one on each cover, oil sprayed from the inside out. At an idle there is no smoke but with the slightest boost the smoke pours out the tail pipes. The crankcase builds pressure under boost. An I going in the right direction thinking the intake gasket? Any help would be great. Kevin

Drain the antifreeze out, use distilled water+water wetter and RMI. Less chance of ruining bearings in the event you do pop a HG. Will run cooler also.

I was playing a little to hard last night with my 87 GN and was checking to see if my spray was coming on. On the first past the spray was on but I still had knock. I gave a second past and suddenly big miss and a lot of blue smoke. I shut it down and checked the oil, no antifreeze. I have two breathers, one on each cover, oil sprayed from the inside out. At an idle there is no smoke but with the slightest boost the smoke pours out the tail pipes. The crankcase builds pressure under boost. An I going in the right direction thinking the intake gasket? Any help would be great. Kevin

I'm Not sure where the idea came about that when a head gasket blows you get coolant in the oil.

Can you get coolant in the oil Yes

Do you always? No

Sounds like you've blown a headgasket and you'll find the Firing ring broken between the inner head bolts. thus leaking combustion gasses into the lifter valley.

Take off the Rocker covers and run the car, you'll find out very quickly which side.

Hope this helps.

Would there not but smoke at idle if it was a head gasket? I drove it home slowly and only had what appeared to be blue smoke if I gave to it much gas. At slow speeds 30 to 40 miles per hour, there was little or no smoke. Thanks Kevin

Would there not but smoke at idle if it was a head gasket? I drove it home slowly and only had what appeared to be blue smoke if I gave to it much gas. At slow speeds 30 to 40 miles per hour, there was little or no smoke. Thanks Kevin

You really need to start your OWN Thread about this instaed of constantly HiJacking other peoples threads! It's not Polite!! Thats 2 I read today from you already. Please start a Fresh Thread & explain your problems in detail.

As for the original question about sealant for head bolts & studs, I use this method.

TurboBuicks.com - Head Studs That Don't Leak!

ARP part # 100-9904 thread sealer works for me. As stated earlier, you will probably get 10 different answers by the time this thread ends. :smile: Any thread sealer should work OK.

Sorry to break your thread sweetheart. I will never post again.

I'm not your sweetheart & am in Toronto so were not that far apart if you want to come by for a visit & a beer. Dont get your feathers ruffled about this. Its called Buick Board Etiquette (and all the other sites as well) When someone askes a question & then you take it Off Topic #1 He loses info that should be going to his question cause its now about something else!
Thats called HiJacking a thread & its not Polite to do to people!
Also, when you do that, IF I was seaching a topic & found the thread for the needed info, it would have gone off topic thus I would not get the info I was searching for in the first place! Do you understand WHY I said start your own thread now? Not being an AZZ just teaching you about Internet Boards (cars & others) Etiquette! Ask any of the locals about me, I'm not an Azz, not a Bully, not a loudmouth but was Trying to show you the proper way to Ask a Question! Thats All!!

Post all you want & ask all you want but Respect the Next Guy!
Cheers! David

PS: If you like guys for Sweethearts thats fine with me but I Dont Swing that way!

Well, I started the thread and thanks to all the response. On the other hand, just a little respect would be nice! Thanks Guys!!!!!!

Taking stuff off topic is fine in the lounge but not in Tech. Some people just dont know better & thats fine as long as they learn from the mistake. That is what what life is all about isnt it? Learning.
Glad you got your answer. Now, go have Fun with that new motor!!

Thanks for the reply. Start putting it back together tommorrow. Its been three weeks and its time to ride. Mike

Attachments

• P5110009-2.jpg
    P5110009-2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 236
Looks Good! That first startup/breakin & 100 miles is hard on the nerves but yet so much fun!! Actually, I enjoy it cuz it gets the adrenalin flowing!
Cheers!

Back