You can type here any text you want

hEAD BOLTS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

My TTA has 33,000 miles on it. I was wondering if it is a good or bad idea to torque down the head bolts? The valve covers have never been off. It doesn't really seem like a good idea, but I would like to hear some opinions. Thanks

LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!! Why fix something that isnt broken? I've always wondered that. :eek: Like Razor said in another post, don't open pandoras box.

HTH

Since i'm a mod here...

I'll say the PC thingy..

DO NOT TOUCH THAT PART OF YOUR CAR OR YOU'LL BE VERY SORRY :eek:

Dont even think of it..

Wax your antenna.. there will be greater benefit ;)

That's funny I just got done waxing my antenna :eek: J/K How about valve springs? It should be o.k. if I change those right? If I do change them should I do valve seals also? I saw in your other post you stated factory head gaskets can hold up to 30 psi boost? So on my car if everything is tuned right I could run 25-26 psi and the head gaskets shoukd be o.k.? Thanks

Yes, I would put 100lb. valve springs on. Lets, you run up to 5200 rpms without valves "floating". After 17 years they arent as strong as they were when new. I believe you should get the 100lb. springs from a 1970 Camaro LT1 motor. I dont know what others use.

Jason

Quiky One said:
Yes, I would put 100lb. valve springs on. Lets, you run up to 5200 rpms without valves "floating". After 17 years they arent as strong as they were when new. I believe you should get the 100lb. springs from a 1970 Camaro LT1 motor. I dont know what others use.

Jason
I have a set of springs from Kirbans. I believe they are 100lb springs. Look at my last post again I edited it a little. Yeah it seems like right now under full throttle the car holds steady around 4600-4700rpms. does that seem normal?

If you have no knock you should be able to especially with the stock HG's. The problem with HG's after the stock ones go is you cant get them to reseal as well. If the head isnt perfectly flat there is a good chance the head will lift at 30 psi+. Many guys have run 25 psi on the stock hg's and havent a problem. O and to answer your question about the RPM's, I bet your valvesprings are floating. I know in my car it will pull all the way to 5200/5300 without a problem.

HTH Jason

Really So if they are floating I should notice a huge difference with the new ones. Is the kirban's spring removal tool a good one? Also to change the springs is there anything else you can think of that I might need. i'm sure this has been answered a million times, but I always seem to have trouble looking at past threads for answers. Thanks buddy

dvernst said:
That's funny I just got done waxing my antenna :eek: J/K How about valve springs? It should be o.k. if I change those right? If I do change them should I do valve seals also? I saw in your other post you stated factory head gaskets can hold up to 30 psi boost? So on my car if everything is tuned right I could run 25-26 psi and the head gaskets shoukd be o.k.? Thanks

Piece of cake.

Dont go to crazy on springs.. you can wipe out the cam. Most stay in the 90-100 lb range. And do the seals if you wish..

The valvespring tool for the tta is different than the Buick. The TTA uses a small block Chevy style valve spring removal tool. Its a long lever. And the tough ones are the number 6 cylinder due to the heater lines.

HTH

Back