You can type here any text you want

Head gasket leaking at the front of my new motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOTIMMER

After about 100 miles, I have a very slight leak between the the block and the head just under the turbo. The heads are stock ported irons, stock block, and MLS head gaskets. Before assembly, I removed the rivets and sprayed copper gasket sealer on both sides of all layers.

Between juggling a job change, having a new baby, and everything going on, it took me 3 months to get this motor together and in the car. If The motor has to be pulled to fix it, I don't know what I'll do. Just don't have the time or the ambition to deal with this $hit anymore. I'm hoping I could put a couple of those "cadillac" tablets in it and go.

I take it they are leaking coolant by the mention of seal tabs. Studs or bolts (sealant on them) ? Retorqued? What was the RA finish on deck and heads?

It may be coming from a headbolt or stud, not between the block and head. The heads and block must be machined to a very fine finish for MLS gaskets, or you will have coolant leaks and it will use coolant. Where ever it is coming from, 3 or 4 AC Delco tabs will stop it until you get the time to pull the heads. They work very well and don't plug up the radiator. I use Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant 59235 on the studs in the block, and ARP teflon sealant on the nuts and washers and that has stopped any problems I had in the past.

Machine shop said the heads and block are both at 50RA. Yeah, sorry. Leaking coolant. Left that part out. I looked all around the motor and can't find any other leaks. I did not retorque after a heat cycle. I put studs in with white Teflon thread sealant, torqued the heads to 80ft lbs, let the motor sit for 2 days, went back loosened all the studs one at a time, and retorqued. I did not use sealant on the nuts/washers. Only arp moly lube. This procedure has always worked well for me in the past, but this is a first for cosmetic head gaskets.

A question for chuck leeper do you think moroso stop leak is better than GM pills

A question for chuck leeper do you think moroso stop leak is better than GM pills

I have used it on SBC's...Last 1 was a bad leak at the rear freeze plug... [Behind the flywheel, of course]. Took about 3 mins of running when warmed up, to stop. 17yrs later.. Still going!
There's kinds:
1 for use w/ antifreeze.
1 w/o...

I agree with Chuck on the pin issue. It might be that the machine shop replaced the pins with ones too long and they are causing the head to sit up off the deck. you "might" be able to check this with a .0015" feeler gauge slid between the head and block. If its just weeping coolant from a disturbed sealant on the threads (it was dry after one day and when re-torquing them it compromised the sealant.) or between the layers of gasket a coolant tab or four will seal it right up. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I just got a chance to check the car out today. Looks like the leak is coming from the intake manifold. I remember when I put it on, the holes didn't line up as good as it did before the block and heads were decked. I used the rubber end seals for the intake. I'm gonna pull it off and just use sealant on the ends and see if that takes care of it.

Tim

Back