Head Installation

bob86gn

Got my GN1s from Cotton last night and will be swapping out my Stage Jr heads this weekend. Any tips or pointers you could offer to make the process smoother. I don't want to pull the motor out again, so I will be doing the installation in the car.

I have all the torque values for the heads and am using stock head gaskets, stock intake gaskets, ARP install lube, 190ksi ARP bolts, longer pushrods, stock rockers and Cotton's valve covers.

Here are my concerns:
1. Sealing of the water jackets, do I need seal tabs?
2. Should I use the ARP bolt sealer or something else?
3. Do you really torque the shorter bolts to 65 ft.lbs instead of 75 like the long bolts?
4. I assume bolting the rockers on without a spring compressor is not a problem with the hydraulic lifters. Good assumption?
5. How should I seal the front and back of the intake? Use the rubber seal with a bead of RTV or just a ton of RTV?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Bob

1.make sure your surfaces are very clean ( also run a thread chaser down in all of the bolt holes and clean the threads of the bolts )

2. use the ARP bolt prep under the heads of the bolts then again beneath the washers and the ARP thread sealer on the threads.

3. torque all bolts with the correct sequence which is listed on gnttype

4. torque in steps starting at like 20, 40, 60, and then

5. final steps for all bolts is 85lb/ft

bob,

Use what the manuf. recomends for torque spec and sequence of the head gasket/bolts you will be using and you can't go wrong.

Originally posted by bob86gn

Here are my concerns:
1. Sealing of the water jackets, do I need seal tabs?
2. Should I use the ARP bolt sealer or something else?
3. Do you really torque the shorter bolts to 65 ft.lbs instead of 75 like the long bolts?
4. I assume bolting the rockers on without a spring compressor is not a problem with the hydraulic lifters. Good assumption?
5. How should I seal the front and back of the intake? Use the rubber seal with a bead of RTV or just a ton of RTV?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Bob [/B]

Here is what I have found works:

1. Seal tabs are a good idea.

2. ARP bolt sealer works fine.

3. As was said, use APR specs. Re-torque after 24 hours and also after a heat cycle or 2.

4. Bad assumption. Use studs or you will eventially pull the helicoils out of the heads.

5. Either way works ok.

Thanks Nick, now I just have to find a set of studs for the rockers.

Bob