You can type here any text you want

head porting question?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

workingdan

I am porting my stock heads and was wondering if I should port the exhust port? If so how much should I open it up?
Thanks

Yeah I would (did) port the exhaust runners. I looked at the threads on here to gauge how I should port mine. I ended up completely grinding out the exhaust guides until they were even with the roof of the runner. If you search you can find the cut away of a 8445 head and then you will know how far you can go without hitting water. Gnttype.org has the pics.

Alright, say you were to port the stock head to the max, and port the intake manifold, with a bigger plenum and throttle body, would you need to install bigger injectors for the increased air flow??

Yeah I would (did) port the exhaust runners. I looked at the threads on here to gauge how I should port mine. I ended up completely grinding out the exhaust guides until they were even with the roof of the runner. If you search you can find the cut away of a 8445 head and then you will know how far you can go without hitting water. Gnttype.org has the pics.

You mean these pics Dave?:biggrin:

Here's some additional pics of mine that I've been working on. It's getting time to do them for me. I finaly got the ports polished on one and broke the mandrel as I was doing the combustion chambers.:mad: The last 2 pics are of my rough in before I polished the ports. It's not hard to do if you pay attention to what you're doing.:smile:

Attachments

• Img_1754_low.jpg
    Img_1754_low.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Img_1764_low.jpg
    Img_1764_low.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 220
  • Img_1767_low.jpg
    Img_1767_low.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 210
Those are pretty much the same pics that are on gnttype Charlie. And thats what I used to guage how far I could go. Also dont forget safety glasses, I had to make a trip to the ER when I was porting mine :wink:. Your pics turned out alot better than mine, for some reason the camera didnt want to take a good pic of the inside of the runners. This was my first set I ported and even if I screwed it up I have 2 more sets :p

Attachments

• Heads 048.jpg
    Heads 048.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 179
Back up and then do a crop on the pic Dave. That's why most of my pics look decent. My camera takes really big pics so I learned to back up so it would focus better.

Back